Sat nav bug

Gib83

Neeow!!
Mar 3, 2007
Sheffield
I know there is a potential bug in the sat nav which, when you're zoomed in will randomly zoom out to something like 1.5miles.
Has anyone on here managed to get SEAT to sort this or can it be done?
Car's going back to the dealers in a couple of weeks and just wondered if there was a fix while they've got it.

andyrich

Ateca 1.5 FR Sport 150
Mar 10, 2015
I am sure mine does the same but only when your not in a built up area which I think it is supposed to do.

Obee72

Jan 7, 2015
One of my main gripes about the nav unit !!

My take is that 'AutoZoom' is switched on when you start the car regardless of whether it was on or off previously. You can either switch it off in the menus or press the button in the bottom right corner of the screen to turn it on or off. Sometimes that button states its switched off but yet the map auto zooms and when I've checked, its actually switched on in the menus.

I contacted Seat CS about this and they stated I have to show it to a Seat engineer for it to be verified, even though there are lots of owners experiencing it and they can't reproduce it. This is BS in my opinion as they can't be bothered. I was eventually told that even if it does get raised as a bug, its VERY unlikely anything will be done about it as the manufacturers of the unit will not release any hot fixes/patches.

Please let us know if you raise this with your dealer as it might make me book mine in as well just to prove its not just me.

Gib83

Neeow!!
Mar 3, 2007
Sheffield
One of my main gripes about the nav unit !!

My take is that 'AutoZoom' is switched on when you start the car regardless of whether it was on or off previously. You can either switch it off in the menus or press the button in the bottom right corner of the screen to turn it on or off. Sometimes that button states its switched off but yet the map auto zooms and when I've checked, its actually switched on in the menus.

I contacted Seat CS about this and they stated I have to show it to a Seat engineer for it to be verified, even though there are lots of owners experiencing it and they can't reproduce it. This is BS in my opinion as they can't be bothered. I was eventually told that even if it does get raised as a bug, its VERY unlikely anything will be done about it as the manufacturers of the unit will not release any hot fixes/patches.

Please let us know if you raise this with your dealer as it might make me book mine in as well just to prove its not just me.

When I take it in i'll mention it to them and see if they know anything about it. Unless they take it on a decent ish road test it's unlikely they'll see it. I guess I could get someone in the back of the car with their phone to film it zooming out but it seems a bit extreme.

I thought it might be an issue with the maps as they run off an SD card, but it must be the firmware in the unit that causes it to do it, especially as it seems to affect most people regardless of the maps version they've got.

Obee72

Jan 7, 2015
I'm convinced everyone experiences this but either are not bothered or think that's how its should work. For me, it should default to what it was set at previously which is what every other sat nav unit does.

Gib83

Neeow!!
Mar 3, 2007
Sheffield
A quick update on this. Been on a 200 mile trip to the coast and while it's been on 'route guidance' and I set the zoom, it stayed there. It looks to be only zooming out etc when you've got the map on but no route set, that's what i've experienced so not too much of an issue for me.

jimiC

Mar 3, 2015
South Derbyshire
mine only seems to jump around in sync with the speed limit for the current road, ie when i drop from a 60 into a 40 the map zooms in. happens with or without guidance.

Gib83

Neeow!!
Mar 3, 2007
Sheffield
mine only seems to jump around in sync with the speed limit for the current road, ie when i drop from a 60 into a 40 the map zooms in. happens with or without guidance.

I guess there's some logic in it, in that when you get into a built up area it zooms in when you need to see more roads, but in the open when it's probably just one road it can zoom out.

Solo

May 30, 2015
Hi all....

Joined your forum specifically to post about the sat nav!

Although I have a golf, you know that they are essentially the same as a Leon. The mrs has a Leon (2013) and it does not have this bug. Basically I have the same problem with my golf sat nav. The bug was introduced about 18 months ago when VW updated the software/firmware as before that it worked fine I.e. When I turned autozoom off in the menu (as I would like it to be permanently) it stayed off.

I pursued this with vwuk and 2 separate dealers for about 9 months. As you can imagine, I was getting the same response that you've been getting and no real interest in finding a fix. I finally gave up when I insisted in taking a 'master tech' out for a drive in mine and then in an identical car they had on the forecourt. In mine, sure enough, the scale zoomed in and out whether a route was programmed or not, despite the menu saying autozoom was off. Got in the dealers golf (which was newer but with the same sat nav) and it was doing the same thing so their response was 'its supposed to do that!' My view is, they all do it because the software has a bug. Nothing is 'supposed' to be on when its switch is saying its off.

There are several threads on this on the golfmk7 forum. So if yours doesnt do it at the moment, you just want to hope your dealer doesnt update your software on your next service. The software update brings no other noticeable changes or improvements anyway, it was probably to fix previous bugs. I no longer use the sat nav in the car and use free apps on my phone instead which are massively superior to the car nav, which is a shame considering how much VW charge for it!

By the way, I only have a golf because its a company car. Had it been my own money (or it was on my list of available company cars to choose from), I'd have got a Leon instead!