Useful / Trivial Things You May Not Know About Your Leon . . .

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Something I found out with my DSG 'box today.

After some 'spirited' driving on country roads with the box in S, I came down a steep incline into a 40mph limit, so moved the gearbox to D and took my foot off the gas. On the flat, the DSG would have gone up the gears until the revs were about 1000-1500rpm, but on this occasion, they stayed close to 3000, like an experienced driver would with a manual 'box.

There must be a tilt sensor, or some accelerometer setting that senses when the car is not slowing down with no gas in order to use engine braking. It's not something I've noticed before.

Mine doesn't do this. .

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
On the facelift cars with heated mirrors, they only work when the outside temp is below 20 degrees.

It's in the book but I thought I would post it as I thought mine were broken when I had rain and wet mirrors but outside temps of 20 ish. They didn't dry out with the heaters.

Crap really.

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
Generally if you have bluetooth you will also have the larger rectangular multi function display in between the speedo and the rev counter. You get extra menu options displayed in here.

You should be able to access those menus using the menu button and rocker switch on the right hand steering wheel stalk, which should bring you to some of the convenience menus.

Veyron

Dec 3, 2009
Birmingham
Generally if you have bluetooth you will also have the larger rectangular multi function display in between the speedo and the rev counter. You get extra menu options displayed in here.

You should be able to access those menus using the menu button and rocker switch on the right hand steering wheel stalk, which should bring you to some of the convenience menus.

Thanks only just bought the car but its got the big screen and I did get the phonebooj up after pressing random buttons! Just can't remember which ones!

jmc1976

Jan 8, 2013
wakefield, west yorks
***** Be aware that this setting is not allowed in many countries on public roads, so be careful *****

Instructions

1. Insert DVD and start Playback.

2. Move the car until the screen turns black and the security message is displayed.

3. Stop the car

4. Press the Voice Command button on your steering wheel.

5. Directly after press the Tone button on the MFD, (you should hear a chime signal).

6. DVD Playback should stop for a split second but continues thereafter.

7. Done!

This I'm going to try

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Don't know if this has been mentioned....

Scenario.....

Your on a motorway with cruise set to 70mph.

Your approaching roadworks or a part of the motorway where the speed limit is different to 70mph 'say' 50mph

So you knock off the cruise & let the car slow down or press the brake and slow down to comply with the limit for the restricted speed of the road

Now if you re engage cruise the car will start picking up speed to go back to the previously set limit (70mph) however......

If you push the minus (-) on the cruise stalk once, then you'll stop speeding up & the s the cruise controll will stay at the speed you hit the minus (-) and reset the speed limit for the cruise.

Last edited:

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Don't know if this has been mentioned....

Scenario.....

Your on a motorway with cruise set to 70mph.

Your approaching roadworks or a part of the motorway where the speed limit is different to 70mph 'say' 50mph

So you knock off the cruise & let the car slow down or press the brake and slow down to comply with the limit for the restricted speed of the road

Now if you re engage cruise the car will start picking up speed to go back to the previously set limit (70mph) however......

If you push the minus (-) on the cruise stalk once, then you'll stop speeding up & the s the cruise controll will stay at the speed you hit the minus (-) and reset the speed limit for the cruise.

Maybe it isn't labelled on the earlier cars but on mine the "+" also has "resume" (to the last set speed) written next to it, and the "-" also has "set" (to the current speed) written next to it. So it's fairly obvious on mine what the functions of the rocker switch do.

jmc1976

Jan 8, 2013
wakefield, west yorks
REG CRUISE CONTROL
if cruise control is on and you slow down for traffic , if you press the top button on the end of the stork the car will increase speed back to the cruise setting

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
is it a 315 I dunno ill have a look in the book , mine is a 62 reg , do they not play them then ? I don't wanna stick on in and get it stuck lol

The FL model got the newer but shiter sat-nav's unfortunately, but you could maybe get one of these, no idea if it actually works but it would be pretty cool, I reckon you could fit an oldschool PS1 in the glove box lol (thats PS1 not the first Playstation btw) http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=104&cat=2&page=1

jmc1976

Jan 8, 2013
wakefield, west yorks
The FL model got the newer but shiter sat-nav's unfortunately, but you could maybe get one of these, no idea if it actually works but it would be pretty cool, I reckon you could fit an oldschool PS1 in the glove box lol (thats PS1 not the first Playstation btw) http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=104&cat=2&page=1

no worries mate cheers , I have a Samsung tab 2 on a headrest mount behind me for the little un , but when I go to Ireland it usually runs out of power and it wont charge from the lead so though the head unit might be an option , maybe I just need a proper lead for the Samsung tab

jmc1976

Jan 8, 2013
wakefield, west yorks
REG DSG GEARBOX LAUNCH CONTROL
never tried it my self but I am told it works by someone who has done it
selector in S ,
traction control off,
foot on brake,
other foot on gas to the floor and when the revs settle at 2500,
release the brake

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
REG DSG GEARBOX LAUNCH CONTROL
never tried it my self but I am told it works by someone who has done it
selector in S ,
traction control off,
foot on brake,
other foot on gas to the floor and when the revs settle at 2500,
release the brake
Did this a few times on the old stg2 CR170 and it does indeed work, but it won't shift to 2nd for you. So you need to be real quick and any gained made on the launch are lost if you don't time the shift to 2nd perfectly.
And... It feels violent. Bad violent. As in... Gearbox is being shredded.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.