Lcr or mk2 cupra?

Matthewsarg

Aug 18, 2014
Hi guys

I've been a fan of the lcr's for quite awhile and I've decided I will buying into the seat fold very soon

But I can't decide if I want the mk1 lcr's or a mk2 cupra
Currently I can afford the mk1 no problem but the mk2 will take a little time to save up for
Now I'm pretty patient and could wait if it's much better than the mk1

I just want to hear some thoughts on both, I've never owned either and would be helpful to hear pros and cons of both

Thanks matt:D

jackoni

Sep 1, 2012
Newtownards NI
I am a big big fan of the Mk1 Cupra R and have always wanted one but also a big fan of the Mk2 cupra for my next car! For the money i would be spending on a mint low mlier Mk1 LCR..5K it would get me an older high miler Mk2 but what is swaying me is the amount of tuning potential the Mk2 has....300bhp stage 1 map for instance! 300bhp in a Mk1 LCR cost quite a few pennies

Matthewsarg

Aug 18, 2014
That's how I feel the mk1 looks the nuts but doesn't have the strongest rods, and yes the tuning potential of the mk2 is so hard not to appreciate, a part of me is saying get the lcr now and continue to save for the mk2 best of both worlds then, but I know I will throw money modding the lcr and not save for the mk2
It's such a hard choice, currently running a 1.8vvti celica, it's nicknamed the work horse Because I treat it with that much respect its gut less noisy small and irritating but it starts it goes and I do not give one poop about it, yes it handles good that is all, my head sits 2cm from the roof and I'm only 6ft, I only have 1 brake light the middle LEDs but I refuse to spend money on it, literally driving it into ground so I can burn/crush it when it does

jackoni

Sep 1, 2012
Newtownards NI
That's how I feel the mk1 looks the nuts but doesn't have the strongest rods, and yes the tuning potential of the mk2 is so hard not to appreciate, a part of me is saying get the lcr now and continue to save for the mk2 best of both worlds then, but I know I will throw money modding the lcr and not save for the mk2
It's such a hard choice, currently running a 1.8vvti celica, it's nicknamed the work horse Because I treat it with that much respect its gut less noisy small and irritating but it starts it goes and I do not give one poop about it, yes it handles good that is all, my head sits 2cm from the roof and I'm only 6ft, I only have 1 brake light the middle LEDs but I refuse to spend money on it, literally driving it into ground so I can burn/crush it when it does

Thats exactly what will happen....you will get carried away with it anyway Mk1 or Mk2 lol Either way they are both cracking cars and i would love any one of them!

Is your celica a 140 or 190?

Last edited:

Matthewsarg

Aug 18, 2014
yeah that's true will see what happens probably a mk1 just because I can't live with this celica much longer!
Yeah it's the 140 it does t get any kind of power until 4k rpm and it's not all about power but it's not like it's comfortable or quite the road noise and wind noises on the motorway is so dam loud the boot squeaks on bumpy roads I have wd40 the seal to shut it up and to top it off in the boot try's to kill u because it's so heavy the gas struts struggle to keep it up so its like a 2 man job to load or unload or you do it at the risk of being beheaded

rob929

Dec 27, 2012
plymouth
Hi mate. I got a mk1 lcr. Spent loads getting it to stage 2 and keeping it immaculate. I like the thought of a mk2 cupra but think they dont look as good as a mk1. Very tunable i admit but decent mk1s are getting rarer by the day which is a good thing for us passionate owners. The depreciation will fall slowly.

I think that a mk1 is the way forward bud. Love it and cherish it like a baby. Get a gd spec one for x amount of pounds or a bog standard mk2 for x amount more then spend even more modding it. Would be a mk1 for me for sure.

Hope i make sense cus it is hard to put into words my think. Lol.

ben450

Feb 17, 2012
London
Id get a MK1 LCR mateI love mine best car I have ever had. They will be rare in a few years time with the amount that are being broken every week. Get a nice one and keep it mint.

Stuart83

Jan 2, 2007
Tamworth, Midlands
Yep, mint MK1 all the way! Love mine - had it almost 12 months and plan on keeping it for a few years ... which is really unusual for me with cars!

Mine's used as a daily driver ... it does everything I want, running costs are reasonable, and there's plenty of knowledge around. Just make sure you get the best colour - Grey ;-)

mattyholmz89

Feb 8, 2011
Huddersfield
Yep, mint MK1 all the way! Love mine - had it almost 12 months and plan on keeping it for a few years ... which is really unusual for me with cars!

Mine's used as a daily driver ... it does everything I want, running costs are reasonable, and there's plenty of knowledge around. Just make sure you get the best colour - Grey ;-)

This!!! I recently had the option to choose between a 15 plate leon fr spec... decided to go with the mk1 lcr... ask me if I regret it!! Mk1 lcr is such an amazing car it's practical 5 door looks awesome and subtle and funnily enough people don't seem to realise what these babies are pushing at the wheels... amazing cars simply... do it and don't look back

Matthewsarg

Aug 18, 2014
Ok now I'm thinking mk1 es performance on the mk2 might be a bit better but, the aggressive mk1 just looks so mean! And I like that they are getting rarer , and I suppose if I want POWAAAR I can just have some shiny rods fitted and a new turbo and do it properly ! But tbh on the road I think 225 is enough it's a public road not a race track
Yeah going to get a nice looked after mk1 and caring on loving it but as for colour black is for me , never had a black car and always wanted one

Watch this space guys once I've found the perfect one I'll show you all :)

mattyholmz89

Feb 8, 2011
Huddersfield
I wanted black but the one I got now came up and I just had to have it... washed and polished up I'm thinking I made the right choice =) Platinum Grey LCR =D black looks awesome though.. good choice

Gabster

Apr 15, 2010
Dorset
I wanted black but the one I got now came up and I just had to have it... washed and polished up I'm thinking I made the right choice =) Platinum Grey LCR =D black looks awesome though.. good choice

Platinum Grey is such a good color for LCR love it :)

I got a 150 TDi FR with the factory Cupra kit in red and I was thinking to get a Mk2 before I bought mine, the design of the mk1 beats the mk2 hands down.

Im thinking to get a low mileage LCR imported from europe with the 4x4 and top of the range spec.
If the LCR is not a future classic then nothing is :D

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
You need to drive them both. LCR has the looks but thats about the only thing where it wins.
But they are both great cars in their own right.:)

Stuart83

Jan 2, 2007
Tamworth, Midlands
Whereabouts are you from Matt? I'm just thinking there may be some members local to you who might be willing to show you their cars, so you can get a better idea of which way to go.

Matthewsarg

Aug 18, 2014
I'm from plymouth, I think that's a good idea the other thing tht puts me off a mk2 slightly is I hear the engine is a bit tappy and I'm confused is the mk2 more of a rattley dash than the lcr's or the other way?

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Time will tell on fading but so far it isn't noticible on mine, slightly thicker paint perhaps as theres less chipping compared to my old car.

My 1.8t was very tappy compared to the 2.0l. No dash rattles but then my Mk1 cupra didnt rattle either.

Mk2s dash is absolute naff :cartman:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.