rear bumper repair

cjp2k

Nov 14, 2006
Durham/Teesside
Hi guys my wifes just reversed my car into a small wall and scuffed the underside of the rear bumper, is this a replacement bumper or can I get repaired, I will get photos when I get home

FamilyGuy

Apr 1, 2015
If you're thinking of paying yourself instead of claiming, get your local chips away guy to have a look. You'd be surprised what they can do.

cjp2k

Nov 14, 2006
Durham/Teesside
If you're thinking of paying yourself instead of claiming, get your local chips away guy to have a look. You'd be surprised what they can do.

Its not worth claiming I don't think, just need it fixing as its on lease and will get charged a fortune to fix it on hand back!!

cjp2k

Nov 14, 2006
Durham/Teesside
Well here is the damage, not that bad, but may be picked up by the lease return peeps???

kams20.jpg

I have been quoted £220.00 + vat for a bumper respray, from one bodyshop, or a £70 scrape off the damage and touch up

Also had another bodyshop quote £120.00 all in for a respray and blend into the rest of the bumper

First bodyshop said 2-3 days bumper off, second one was a do it on the car back same day??

Both places have relatively good reviews in the North East area....

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Give it a clean - then a quick rub with t-cut - and then re-post the picture.

I am guessing it will look far better than expected.

noonoo63

Mar 7, 2014
Scotland
Well here is the damage, not that bad, but may be picked up by the lease return peeps???

kams20.jpg

I have been quoted £220.00 + vat for a bumper respray, from one bodyshop, or a £70 scrape off the damage and touch up

Also had another bodyshop quote £120.00 all in for a respray and blend into the rest of the bumper

First bodyshop said 2-3 days bumper off, second one was a do it on the car back same day??

Both places have relatively good reviews in the North East area....

Chipsaway about £80/100 I reckon and you will never know, they do a perfect job.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Heres a cleaned up pic,

2e2qb9c.jpg

Being so low on the bumper like that I would get a touch up stick and touch it in first.

Don't try to fill it all at once - lightly - in layers and before you know it that will be almost invisible.

Got to be worth a try.

skk

Jul 14, 2014
Being so low on the bumper like that I would get a touch up stick and touch it in first.

Don't try to fill it all at once - lightly - in layers and before you know it that will be almost invisible.

It will help indeed but the final result will still be noticeable Did the exact same thing on my MK5 Ibiza ( front bumper) Added in total of 4 layers + laquer on top of the last layer, polished it but it is still visible. Plus you dont have such a steady hand to avoid the brushmarks on the painting. Plastic is a headache to repair with a touchup.

cjp2k

Nov 14, 2006
Durham/Teesside
Thanks guys, not going to try myself, I **** up stone chips on the bumper, never mind this!

Need to decide, bodyshop I have used before for £70, touch up or a respray of the bottom for £110, from somewhere that's not taking the bumper off and I have never used before....

Or get out of the car and get a cupra lol:whistle:

sandancer

May 20, 2014
Thanks guys, not going to try myself, I **** up stone chips on the bumper, never mind this!

Need to decide, bodyshop I have used before for £70, touch up or a respray of the bottom for £110, from somewhere that's not taking the bumper off and I have never used before....

Or get out of the car and get a cupra lol:whistle:

Whereabouts in the north east are these bodyshops situated?

Slipps

Northern Sassenach
Jan 17, 2015
Durham
If you're determined to take it to a bodyshop try DJL Coachworks in Durham he did an absolutely first class job on my drivers door for a great price

DJL Coachworks
Tel: 0191 3842241
Unit 2, Damson House, Damson Way, Dragonville, Durham, County Durham, DH1 2YN

But to be honest I'd be trying Chips Away or similar first it really doesn't look like a full on body shop job

https://www.chipsaway.co.uk/services/

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
Take a tip from me. this is exactly what SMART (small to medium area repair technique) repairs are for.

Go to you local stealer and have a word with the lads that wash the cars on the forecourt and ask them who does the SMART repairs to the trade ins and used vehicles on the forecourt. I was lucky that my local Seat and local Vauxhall garage both said to come back on a set morning and go around the back to the car prep bay. The same father and son team do a lot of the steelers in Leeds/Bradford on a weekly rotation. It cost me 80 quid to have a front offside scuff done on my black car and it is near to perfect. He also did a deep scratch down the entire nearside that was caused by a branch on the Leeds ring road at the same time and all in just 80 quid. It took him 2 hours total but he was doing other cars whilst mine was drying and hardening.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise