630+ miles to a tank - LCR

skinny monkey

Apr 6, 2014
I can get high 30's on some journeys if I just feel like chilling a bit or I'm on coming home from work which is mostly downhill. But eventually you do just want to put your foot down - or you need to go uphill! So single trip mpg is a bit pointless imo.
But I do like to see what I can get out of it as the more fuel I can save on boring roads, the more fun I can have later.

Over the tank I'll average about 31mpg. It's difficult to be good all the time. My long term mpg read out reset when I bought the car shows 31.5 :)

Last edited:

speedinsaxo

Jun 7, 2003
Visit site
No tricks or resetting the meter at the top of a very big hill. Picture was taken after 17 miles/30 minutes, nearly at the end of my 20 mile journey home on a mix of mainly A roads.
The car has standard injectors.

Commuting to/from work during the week I drive sensibly and usually see around 42mpg.
At the weekend I can open the taps and enjoy the turbo if/when I want to.

I actually find it enjoyable and more challenging to drive economically...Anyone can drive fast, its easy...not everyone knows how to drive economically. I am just showing what the car is capable of.

I've had the car from new nearly 9 years, and love it, however I drive it - why would I change it for a diesel when I can get both decent MPG or performance on demand.

dazjstuart

May 18, 2012
Aberdeen
I either drive like a granny or like my trousers are on fire, there's no middle ground. I quite like seeing how high I can get the MPG to go, can easily get into the low 40s on a long run, especially since I finally got my thermostat fixed! Gave me an extra 3 - 4mpg!

andycupra

status subject to change
lies, damm lies and statistics.

you need to understand how the calculation is made as this will show you why the range is very misleading and you were never going to achieve the figures you quoted.

basically, the range will look at how much fuel you have left, then using the most RECENT data, (ie based on only the last few miles of driving) it will give you a range.
That means, to get the range its stating you need to achieve the same MPG as you did in the last few miles for every miles you cover for the rest of the tank.
So in this case, it likely calculated the range using data when driving on A roads with a fully warmed up car and probably averaging around 55mph and may including slowing down at the end of the journey; so its cherry picking the best period of mpg and ignoring that for the remainder of the drive the mpg achieved was far worse.
The minute you stop its all over. - as soon as you start the next drive the car isnt warm, the range will plumet, which i think you saw.

If you want to test this if you are driving fairly briskly you could get the range down to zero, but if you then drive very carefully the range can increase as it will then be calculated on the more recent more economical figures.

an example:
lets say your typical drive is 15 miles.
the first 5 miles you may only get 20mpg as the car isn't up to temperature
the next 5 miles 30
and the last 5 40mpg.

when you finish the drive the range will be based on 40mpg. but you have not achieved 40mpg over the journey, the actual mpg achieved over-all is much lower.
(if you think this example averages 30mpg average you are wrong. its more like 27.7mpg and which is why many people believe they get better mpg than they actually do.

and in case you doubt this:

miles covered / MPG achieved / gallons used

total gallons used.........................1.083333333

total miles covered.......................30

30 / 1.083333333.........................27.69 (2dp)

As a rough guide per tank (based on LCR filled up and running to 10 miles or so past yellow warning light).
360 miles to a tank just about gets 30mpg
420miles to break 35mpg
a whopping 480 to break 40mpg.

Last edited:

seatturbopower

Aug 1, 2012
birmingham
Lmao Another one I'm not bothered about how much petrol it uses it's just nice to know you can get decent mileage out of it. Can't be bothered trying to explain it.

put it like this mate, if petrol was say 76/77p a litre like it use to when I 1st past my test in 2003,all this talk of the best mpg was never mentioned at all....its only because its more expensive that ppl mention it.:blink: I remember going to Blackpool from bham and back on £20 in 2004 I think,so dose that mean my little metro was good on mpg or was it because of cheap petrol and there was no trip computer on that!!:rofl:

Last edited:

cuprachad

Feb 9, 2013
DSC_0276_zpsahtgkzpd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My attempt so far, theoretically 500+ miles of one tank...

cuprachad

Feb 9, 2013
I know, I'll prob get about 130-140, but along as I get home from London in the morning which is 114 miles I'll be happy..

andycupra

status subject to change
the fuel gauge is poor.
for cupras there are 8 segments, but in reality there are 10 as the level goes way past 'full'. so each segment = 1 10th of a tank.
This means half way is actually 4/10th.
Or if you dont want to be running the tank dry then you could say there are 9 usable segments, so half way would be 3/9th left......
The LCR gauge is the same but has less segments indicated so have 5 segments... same logic applies..

I normally get around 430 to a tank and at halfway on the guage i need to be around 270 to achieve 430 over-all. (so halfway would be about 37%)

i cant believe how hard it seems to be to get fuel gauges that read somewhere near accurately. or is there some trickery going on make people think the car is better on fuel than it is really..?

Last edited:

Barrows2005

the fuel gauge is poor.
for cupras there are 8 segments, but in reality there are 10 as the level goes way past 'full'. so each segment = 1 10th of a tank.
This means half way is actually 4/10th.
Or if you dont want to be running the tank dry then you could say there are 9 usable segments, so half way would be 3/9th left......
The LCR gauge is the same but has less segments indicated so have 5 segments... same logic applies..

I normally get around 430 to a tank and at halfway on the guage i need to be around 270 to achieve 430 over-all. (so halfway would be about 37%)

i cant believe how hard it seems to be to get fuel gauges that read somewhere near accurately. or is there some trickery going on make people think the car is better on fuel than it is really..?

Very interesting, i think trickery gone wrong, i think the possible logic is them trying to do this thinking that the car ways less so should do more miles so halfway mark should give same miles as full to half? Maybe? Just a guess! Every car i have owned has stayed at full for ages soon as it drops from full its nearly watchable going down (some cars ive had it was watchable)

speedinsaxo

Jun 7, 2003
Visit site
New record last Wednesday, driving from work to a meeting. After about 30 miles, car started from warm but after 2 hours so trip automatically resets.

It's just had its 130,000 miles service and running great.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Ignore the rear fog light, I had a dodgy earth in the boot.

cupraslayer

I want more bhp
Feb 8, 2008
northampton
I've had 400 miles to a tank in my stage 2 lc . That was driving at a steady 65-70 . Even with the trip on holiday this week I've only managed 350 miles to a tank .

Ebes86

Jul 25, 2013
I filled him up yesterday the range said I had 315 miles until empty off full, i only really drive it to and from work which is a 12 mile round trip, some dual carriage way, but mainly stop start traffic on single carriageway.

From home to office this morning, I got 27.6mpg, I don't know how accurate this is, i'm not really bothered to be honest, as long as I'm only putting £30 in a week, i'm happy with that.

I was looking into TerraClean, has anyone ever used this before, from reading a lot of reviews it has really good feedback with positive results on MPG and also performance.

Has anybody used this or think it's worth while?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.