Intake valve cleaning, Tunap?!

DansFR

Apr 28, 2014
Kent
Hi guys,

Was down my local dealer and saw they were offering a product called 'Tunap 133' (along with loads of other variants) and according to them this is what they use to clean the coked up inlet valves for customers cars. Looked into it and appears to be a German product, not very expensive either considering. Has anyone tried or heard about them before?!

Dan

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
Yeah that's what we use at my work, done the inlet valve cleaning on my car and worked quite well. The consumables can be about £50-80 per car though. As you need approx 2 bottles of tunap media, inlet valve cleaner spray and another slightly acidic aerosol spray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that's what we use at my work, done the inlet valve cleaning on my car and worked quite well. The consumables can be about £50-80 per car though. As you need approx 2 bottles of tunap media, inlet valve cleaner spray and another slightly acidic aerosol spray

how many hours labour would your work charge with the removal of the inlet etc and cleaning etc?
I will probably clean all mine myself by hand but im interested to know.

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
Bare in mind I work for a Peugeot main dealer, very rough figures,

5 hours roughly for inlet cleaning at £96/hour
£50-80 on consumables
£35-40 for full injector seal kit (best to replace rubber seals, kit may be required if injectors come fully out)

So very expensive basically for what if you do yourself can cost no more than say £40 for carbon off spray and some dentist/mechanic picks

DansFR

Apr 28, 2014
Kent
Yeah according to there website you spray it in with the engine running into the intake

"Warm engine to operating temperature. Spray the product into the intake system at a suitable place using the nozzle, or, if spraying against the intake flow direction, with the sound. Use about one half of the product and let engine rest for 30 mins. Then use the rest of the can in the same manner. Take a test drive after cleaning. Observe service information SI 133."

Also found it for £17 on eBay... Tempted to give it a shot for that price

Dorny

Feb 23, 2015
If your at say 40k+ mileage and already have a good build up of carbon, it will clean them abit but never properly get rid of it. The only option is to manually clean it.

This was after using a carbon build up cleaner spray and as you can see it barely did nothing. But luckily I was planning to to fit a new intercooler and RS4 fuel regulator valve, so thought I might aswell clean them manually, while I have everything off anyway.

This is valves/port 2-3 hours later with carb and brake cleaner, wire brushes and cotton buds.

Getting the inlet off isn't hard, but just time consuming getting everything off. I did have the luxury of having the whole front bumper, radiator and front end taken off so had easy access to everything. I'd say the hardest part would be getting the throttle body on and off and the throttle pip as its very tight between the radiator fan and engine.

And it does make quite abit of difference, as now my leon idles much better, does slightly better mpg and I gained around 10BHP (had a dyno run before and after)

If you have a spare weekend and are fairly good with tools, its a simple but time consuming job.

In the end it cost me £20-30 in cleaner and wire brushes and about 4-5 hours and another £10 for a new terminal plug which I snapped the clip getting it off the DV valve :D

There's an excellent guide on this forum somewhere for it, but forgot the link. Really useful and pretty much a step by step guide and covers everything.

Last edited:

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
Tunap 129 is also very good at removing carbon build up generally used on boost pressure sensors and EGR's

lsg60

Mar 31, 2014
Has anyone used the terraclean system? Just wondering if that would shift it?

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
From what I gather the only way to shift the deposits is a manual clean. Spray cleaners might help with the softer deposits recently added, but may not touch the caked on carbon. I have not tried it myself, but have seen no evidence to prove it's effectiveness

Last edited:

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
Has anyone used the terraclean system? Just wondering if that would shift it?

Terra clean is a waste of time on the tfsi engines, I had one done on the cheap as I know the local agent. Had the fuel system and forced inlet clean, I then took the inlet off a few weeks later and this was what greeted me.

008c6f96e53dd302660cf5318c8f8d1c.jpg

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
This is the tunap media blaster we use, works well but still needs the aerosol sprays and valve cleaner to shift the more stubborn deposits.

05e81bd8114abf6078cdfaee4a6fd988.jpg

7b771ac90d4e8dd492e8449ede300361.jpg

Above photo is purely tunap media with no sprays or cleaner

DansFR

Apr 28, 2014
Kent
This is the tunap media blaster we use, works well but still needs the aerosol sprays and valve cleaner to shift the more stubborn deposits.

05e81bd8114abf6078cdfaee4a6fd988.jpg

7b771ac90d4e8dd492e8449ede300361.jpg

Above photo is purely tunap media with no sprays or cleaner

Interesting. What's the tunap media you use? The stuff I've been looking at comes in small aerosol cans and is a do it yourself kit without having to remove the inlet of anything, just spray in through the intake system with the engine running... Have you had any experience or recommend it?! Saw Seat themselves advertising it at the service desk so that's why it caught my eye and thought it might be worth looking into

AlexK1

Apr 20, 2014
Poole
We have used intake sprays that are used when the engine is running and have had no improvement of the running faults. So always ended up in a strip of the inlet and manually cleaning until we got issued this kit. It's lots of small powdered balls that get pressurised into the inlet duct at about 4-6 bar of pressure.

I don't think anything like that in spray form will be aggressive enough to break down the more stubborn carbon deposits, and you won't know unless you take the inlet off anyway. How much are they charging for the sprays out of interest?

DansFR

Apr 28, 2014
Kent
Yeah nothing will clean them properly like a manual clean just interesting as you were using the same brand and couldn't find anything related to them that was in English! :confused:

The one that I thought was most relevant for the inlet valves was Tunap 133 which can be bought for £17 on eBay or best offer

Kiukas

255hp&390nm
Sep 28, 2014
Finland
Check Rob Echt video from Youtube, VW MKV GTI 2.0t FSI - intake valve cleaning diy and link to golfmkv forum.

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
I did a manual clean. I found an American product called carbon off. Basically a all metal safe oven cleaner. Worked amazingly well and took me around 1.5hour in total to clean all my Intake valves. All I used was carbon off, 1 can of carb cleaner, 1 tooth brush and a hand Suction pump. All under £35 in total.
Result

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.