Abs, ESP, tyre pressure warning lights

Dodsy

Dec 30, 2012
So I was driving the car on Saturday night, accelerating to 70mph and the 3 lights came on, instantly I thought £££, so I turned the car off and back on, the lights went off and didn't come back on again until yesterday, again I turned off and back on and they went away.
I've heard horror stories about this triangle of death lights and I've done some searches but all the results are different problems.
I'm just after some honest advice and previous experiences of anyone who has had this fault? What the problem was and how much it was to repair?
Yes the lights go off but obviously there is a problem there, I can't get it scanned when the lights are off so I'm just gonna have to wait until they stay on permanently.

Any help appreciated.

Car is 07 FR TDI 89k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Almost guarantee it is a G44 abs sensor, probably caused by a rusty wheel hub. Could try replacing just the sensor, but it is likely to keep getting knackered.

Budget up to £300ish for new hub including sensor and fittings.

I had this and it started off intermittent but the lights started coming on every trip. Be warned, your ABS and ESP systems do not function, it took a near miss to spur me into to action and realise for safety sake it needed sorting urgently.

Last edited:

Dodsy

Dec 30, 2012
Yeah I thought it would be, another question I have, is there a sensor on each wheel? Therefore replacing one hub solving the problem, is there potential for it to happen up to 3 more times on the other wheels?

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
There is, but it is only seemingly the g44 that comes up. No idea why it seems restricted to this hub chews it sensor.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
If you use a decent fault code reader the fault code definition is "abs wheel sensor - mechanical malfunction". The pick up ring on the hub becomes corroded and out of shape.

don't touch the sensor just fit 2 new hubs which is very easy and can be achieved for much less than £300.

Dodsy

Dec 30, 2012
Why 2 new hubs? Also Is there only sensors on the fronts?

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Because you tend to find that if ones gone the other isn't far behind. also sometimes you can't calibrate the esp system because the readings on the rear don't match between the new and old hub.

Dodsy

Dec 30, 2012
Okay I see what you mean now, I'll try and get the codes read next time the lights come on.
How do I recalibrate the system once the hubs have been replaced?

zeon82

Jun 1, 2010
A valve in the abs unit went on mine last year. Luckily the garage was able to fit the abs repair kit as opposed to a new abs system, so rather than £1200 it cost me £300

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Okay I see what you mean now, I'll try and get the codes read next time the lights come on.
How do I recalibrate the system once the hubs have been replaced?

you just drive it up to 20kph and the lights should go out.

A valve in the abs unit went on mine last year. Luckily the garage was able to fit the abs repair kit as opposed to a new abs system, so rather than £1200 it cost me £300

that's for the G201 pressure sensor fault though. Not a hub issue.

Dodsy

Dec 30, 2012
Thanks for the help, I'll wait until I can get the codes read and take it from there.

Dodsy

Dec 30, 2012
So after the lights had illuminated I turned the ignition off and back on and the lights went off, I've done this every time they have came on until it goes in the garage on Monday for a scan.
However yesterday as I was braking at a traffic light my front wheel hit a bump in the road and instead of the abs kicking in, the brake pedal went rock hard and I lost all my brakes for about 10 seconds, needless to say i did not stop for the red light, I pumped the pedal 2 or 3 times and the brakes came back, there was no lights on the dash when this happened, anyone have any ideas? I'm not driving the car at all until it goes to the garage, I was so lucky there was no cars in front of me at the junction otherwise it would of been a nasty accident.

Dodsy

Dec 30, 2012
Is this the g201 fault that is apparently repaired for free by seat?

Dodsy

Dec 30, 2012
What could mine be? Sensors in the hubs? I've priced the parts from tps and the hubs are roughly 250 a corner and the pump is over 500, don't know how much other people have paid but a comment above said if I change one Hub I'll have to change the other side and that I could get it done for less than £300!!

Dodsy

Dec 30, 2012
Second hand? Don't really want to buy second hand as I'll get the problem again

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.