EML on after 30-40 miles driving

MikeAllam

May 28, 2015
Hi,

Right, EML on my 225 BAM LCR light keeps coming on with the following 2 codes being logged.

P0507 Idling Speed Control - Revs Above Specification
P1136 Long term fuel trim additive Air, Bank 1 - system too lean

I've noticed the car 'hisses' a bit on boost and that it is idling a few hundred rpm higher than it would normally (1000-1200). Not really done any investigation but suspecting it to be a leak somewhere, are there any common fail points? anything to check first?

I have put a smoke pro on it and didn't see any obvious leaking smoke, but this was only connected to the air box air intake, it's also got a brand new MAF and the lambda (sensor 1 pre cat), was changed 12 months ago for a genuine Bosch part. The LCR has done 160,000 miles but has a full service history with genuine parts used every time.

Anyone experienced this?

Thanks

MikeAllam

May 28, 2015
Would this not show on a smoke test though? I'm no mechanic so may be talking jibberish! :)

Bouncerbeater

Old enough to know better
Mar 15, 2013
Gloucestershire
You need to disconnect your air box and maf and connect your test into the start of the tip. It's not going to work properly being filtered by air filter

MikeAllam

May 28, 2015
Hi bouncerbeater, that's what I did, I just unclipped the TIP from the MAF and put the SmokePro onto that end there and for the life of me I cannot find any smoke leaking, even got a mechanic to stick his head in.

The car doesn't idle smoothly, it's not obvious from the rev's but you can hear the engine tone changing and occosionally it will idle higher than normal which it never used to do. It may also be my imagination but there seems to be more 'turbo whoosh' noise when accelerating and boost doesn't quite feel as it used to, as if it's lacking in power a bit.

Do I continue to hunt for a leak, or could there be something else at play? I did clean the throttle body not that it appeared dirty, I've re-adapted the throttle body and fitted a new 710p valve as well as the new MAF and new filtration/oil change. Bank 1 lambda sensor (pre cat) was done just shy of a year ago with genuine bosch parts ....

Confused now as to where to go :(

MikeAllam

May 28, 2015
For the life of me I cannot resolve this issue.

I've now replaced the crank breather hoses, new valves inc the PCV, done a smoke test, new MAF, new lamba, cleaned the throttle body, readapted it and it's still the same ... anyone got any ideas?

Regards

mattyholmz89

Feb 8, 2011
Huddersfield
Could be wrong mate but sounds like the code i was getting when my injector seals were dud... check the intake manifold bud see if there's a oily substance near the injectors they perish over time but I bought some ones from seat fitted them they were the wrong size (too small) and caused it to suck air through. Might not be the issue but its deffo worth a check!

Last edited:

MikeAllam

May 28, 2015
I've replaced the hockey puck valve, the pcv valve and two breather hoses which had collapsed and touch wood I've done 120 miles so far with no EML ... there's still a small leak present in one of the breather hoses but it feels better.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members