Purchasing Advice, Help!

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
We've been given a proposal for a good deal on a September 2013 1.4TSi (140) FR with tech pack coupe.

Regardless of the figures...

Is this the bum engine?

Is it the supercharged one, does this one suffer from heat soak etc?

Is the newer ACT 150 better?

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
I've had both engines, and although the fuel economy and slight performance gain of the ACT are good to have the 140 1.4 is by no means a bum engine. Good performing engine with decent fuel economy and £30 tax.

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
What about the reliability and all the heatsoak, piston, cylinder issues with them?

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
An engine's an engine, not all are going to fail on you. If it bothers you that much I'd put the extra towards the Act

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
An engine's an engine, not all are going to fail on you. If it bothers you that much I'd put the extra towards the Act

You're right and thanks for the reassuring comments from others above too, really helps.

We've already decided that we're not going to do the deal we've been offered.

Feel a bit disappointed as we really like the car, colour, spec etc.

However we have a plan to be able to go back with no P/X and more deposit.

We'll even see if we can cut a deal on a brand new one, it'll mean I won't have to worry..at....alllll :)

Thanks for all the input guys!

Last edited:

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
We'll even see if we can cut a deal on a brand new one, it'll mean I won't have to worry..at....alllll :)

Thanks for all the input guys!

Well... I wouldn't go quite that far. I've been waiting eleven months for them to fix mine and its not done yet! Seats warranty isn't worth the paper its written on sometimes.

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
Well... I wouldn't go quite that far. I've been waiting eleven months for them to fix mine and its not done yet! Seats warranty isn't worth the paper its written on sometimes.

Oh no, sorry to hear this...what's happened? Do you have a thread on it?

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
I noticed very shortly after I collected my brand new ST in June last year that there is a fault with the LED headlights. The automatic levelling mechanism sets the wrong height on the drivers side. Leaving the beam pointing straight at the floor immediately in front of the car, and therefore most of the road unlit. I then have to restart the car - sometimes several times - to get them to level correctly. The trouble is, it's an intermittent problem and can sometimes go away for several days. On the other hand, it has before now taken up to six or seven restarts to get them right.

The dealership have had the car many, many times, even had it plugged in while the headlights were looking in different directions... But, as the computer can find no fault, Seat refuse to authorise any work on the car. They simply don't know what's causing the fault. So eleven months down the line I'm still stuck with a faulty car nobody can seem to fix... And a long fight with Seat UK over a suitable resolution.

There is a thread that covers it all in detail. If you search LED headlight problems you should find it easily enough. The issue is actually fairly common on 14 plate cars, but appears absent in the more recent vehicles. Lots of others with cars a similar age to mine have very similar stories.

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
Well that's a really pants situation to be left in, I'll see if I can find your thread and read up on it.

I hope they bloody well sort it for you...

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I noticed very shortly after I collected my brand new ST in June last year that there is a fault with the LED headlights. The automatic levelling mechanism sets the wrong height on the drivers side. Leaving the beam pointing straight at the floor immediately in front of the car, and therefore most of the road unlit. I then have to restart the car - sometimes several times - to get them to level correctly. The trouble is, it's an intermittent problem and can sometimes go away for several days. On the other hand, it has before now taken up to six or seven restarts to get them right.

The dealership have had the car many, many times, even had it plugged in while the headlights were looking in different directions... But, as the computer can find no fault, Seat refuse to authorise any work on the car. They simply don't know what's causing the fault. So eleven months down the line I'm still stuck with a faulty car nobody can seem to fix... And a long fight with Seat UK over a suitable resolution.

There is a thread that covers it all in detail. If you search LED headlight problems you should find it easily enough. The issue is actually fairly common on 14 plate cars, but appears absent in the more recent vehicles. Lots of others with cars a similar age to mine have very similar stories.

Not all 14 plate cars, my Cupra is almost a year old (built in June) and is still completly fault free, with no fixes to be done when it goes in next week for service.

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
Well, yeah i would certainly hope they wouldnt all be affected Seastormer!

However, i know of at least seven other owners of 14 plates with this issue, and one on a 64.
Good luck with yours though, hopefully it will stay trouble free for you!

andy_l

Dec 22, 2013
We've been given a proposal for a good deal on a September 2013 1.4TSi (140) FR with tech pack coupe.

Regardless of the figures...

Is this the bum engine?

Is it the supercharged one, does this one suffer from heat soak etc?

Is the newer ACT 150 better?

Don't confuse the 1.4TSI 140 as used in the Leon 5F with the previous generation of VAG engines. It is most certainly not the twincharged unit which liked to burn oil.

AFAIK, both the 140 and the 150ACT are from the same engine family (EA211) - differences being the 150 now complies with Euro6 emissions and has the addition of ACT which was previously only on the Golf and A3, and of course 10 more bhp.

I have the 140 in a 63 plate FR - it hasn't missed a beat and pulls like a train - once you're in the rev band. Its definitely worth a drive. Of course if someone offered me a stunning deal on a new 150ACT, I wouldn't say no...

Andy

damo74

Feb 16, 2013
Asonda - Go for it! I'm a fellow Exeo driver waiting on my 1.4 ACT arriving ☺

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
Thanks guys, we've turned the deal down as after looking at all the figures, it didn't stack up right... We thought he was doing us a good deal, turns out after I looked into it, it was pretty pants.

So I'm selling the Exeo myself (a friend owns a really nice car lot and he's going to retail it for me) and then save up a bit and see what brand new deals come...maybe even wait until the mid life facelift comes out next year maybe.

Will see how it goes.

What I will say though, you've all actually been very complimentary about the 1.4 so it does give me confidence.

I have driven the non act 1.4 140 in the Leon we were offered and I thought it felt punchy and in sport mode in the power band it was very very enjoyable.

I've also driven the 2.0 TDi CR 150 and the nose felt very heavy in comparison and I've tried e 1.2TSi and well...I've never owned a car so slow, so that wasn't for me...

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise