2011 Seat Leon brake pads problem

TI KUFF

May 26, 2015
I have a 2011 Seat Leon and have just changed the brake pads all around about 2/3 months ago.
I bought the brake pads about 4 months ago which are apparently 'Mintex'.

The problem is that the brake pads are leaving too much black dust and I mean way too much e.g. my Leon (which is white) wheel arch is covered in black splashes.
I get my car washed and polished and after a day or so the rims look like they have not been washed for a month.
(Will show a picture of alloys when get a chance)
The rear break pads are extremely thin even though they have been changed like 3 months ago.

Lastly when i'm driving at 15-25mph, the passenger side front breaks rattle when I drive over minor potholes. It makes a noise similar to an old rusty trolley, hard to describe really it just sounds squeaky and rattle.
I have also experienced the squeaky noise when i'm setting off at 1/2 gear.

I don't know if the break pads are at fault or if it's the actual car itself.

Apart from that the Seat Leon is spot on and drives lovely.

Has anybody else had any of these problems?

Last edited:

rocky

Jan 2, 2015
I would take it to a dealer and get them to put new pads on it. Did you change the pads and disks together or just the pads? The rattle your hearing could be warped disks intermittently knocking the new pads you've put on

Earn it, Spend it

rocky

Jan 2, 2015
I'd take a decent Indy over a dealer anytime for anything non-warranty
Sorry mate by dealer I just meant any garage. I wouldn't take my car to seat for anything other than a service these days

Earn it, Spend it

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
Dave @ Sere motors is often doing deals on discs and pads (genuine parts), it'll be worth posting a thread in his section for a price on some pads

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
mintex are crap. Full of harsh metallic particles, did they even have grease applied to the slides?

you could've had all round discs and pads replaced by a dealer for £218 with a limited 2 year warranty.

also warped discs won't cause a rattle, ever.

locky

May 5, 2014
North East
Mine dust up the rims very quickly but none of the other issues you mention. No idea what they are, just whatever were on when I bought it.

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
The rattle might be a loose/damaged brake splash shield.

Dave @ Sere posted this recently:

NEW PRODUCT

SEAT have put together a kit, comprising a pair of factory 255mm rear discs and a set of Economy pads.

RRP £88.50, forum price £53 plus £15 Parcelforce

Fits all Mk2 Leons, Mk3 Toledos, Alteas with the 255mm rear brakes.
Basically every car except Cupra and some FR's

**Dave is on annual leave for now and will be back on the 15th July** Sticky thread in the Sere dealers forum

Link to brake disc/pad deal 40% off: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=402323&page=6