Nearly stalling when reversing causes computer to reset

chippypw

Apr 18, 2015
Hello,

I have a 61 plate Ibiza Copa.

A couple of times recently I've nearly stalled when reversing (The warning sensors still make me jump !)

The dashboard warning lights all then seem to light up but go out fairly quickly. I don't think the engiine stopped but I'm not sure. The computer seemed to partially reset. Things such as the trip mileage reset as does the '20 hour' average speed/milage etc monitoring.

When the radio comes back on it displays 'learn' or something similar.

Anyone else experience this ?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Check the condition of your battery and charging system, this has only ever happened to me with a Seat Ibiza 59 plate and only after it had been left for a long time without running during the winter, in that case, battery did recover (car is still okay 15 months later), it would probably be the power demand from the power steering that finally caused the stall as it demanded a lot of current from a battery recovering from starting the car.

Using the car for short runs only will make this worse.

Last edited:

chippypw

Apr 18, 2015
RUM4MO,

Thanks for the advice. I took the car to my local Kwik-fit today for a free battery check. The technician was puzzled as the battery seemed fine except that the printout said the battery was 'Unserviceable'. I asked for advice and he said don't buy a new battery and see how things go.

I'd attach the printout from the battery test but can't

Key Info from printout:

Alternator-Test

Regul Volt 14.34V
Regul Temp >0c

Battery Test

Voltage 12.91v
Start Capacity 76%
State of Charge 100%

Any views ? As an aside I check the level of the power steering fluid and topped it up as it was a little low. Not sure whether this has had any effect but haven't experienced the original problem for a few days and have performed the same reversing move that triggered the problem.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I just wonder how they work out things like "start capacity" and "state of charge" - I'd not questioning what their diagnostic equipment is saying, and I'm sure that it will be standard industry kit, but as far as I know, when a battery is new, it's internal resistance, which ultimately limits the level of current that it can deliver, is very low, As a battery ages, or is a crappy battery, this value increases and will limit (reduce) the level of current available for delivery to connected loads, this will be most noticeable when the battery is being placed under "nasty" conditions.

Now if this is mainly happening after a "cold" start, ie moving the car just after starting, then I'd think that this might be your problem as the electro-hydraulic steering will be demanding a serious amount of current and the engine - as so charging system - will be at tick over so not able to supply that demand and so grabbing what it needs out of the battery, which might not have recovered yet after having just starting the car.

I'd doubt if you will find much from looking at the steering fluid level - if it is low then you might have another problem.

Last edited:

Deleted member 57710

Thanks for the reponses.

Just an update. It's been ok for weeks/months but yesterday, it happened again when reversing into a parking space.

Earlier today I was stationary on a hill and the moved off forward and right. The Power Steering warning light came on orange. I stopped and turned the engine off and on. No warning light.

I decided to go home rather than continue my journey. When parking up the warning light came on orange again and the steering became very heavy. Turned the engine off and on again and finished my parking.

Any idea what could be wrong and is it safe to drive it to the garage ?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd think as long as you keep the engine revs up, the battery voltage would stay high enough to avoid the orange steering fault light to come on. I'm guessing - if this is still a battery/charging problem - that what is happening is as I've suggested previously, ie something is causing the battery voltage and so supply current to be too low for the "car", it is saving what is available to maintain essential services like the engine - and so knocking out the power steering with you can just about live without, not nice to be without it though!

propane94

Bearded Ginger
Nov 15, 2012
Portsmouth
I had something similar recently, I would be driving and randomly the abs and wheel slip light would flick on and off. Sometimes the dashboard reset.

When pulling away rarely the power steering and glow plug lights would come on, restart and they would disappear. It turned out to be some broken wires in the loom and a loose connection to the battery.

Deleted member 57710

Thanks to both RUM4MO and propane94 for your contributions.

I'll be taking it to a local diagnostic place for checking over.

Deleted member 57710

Update....apparently there is a power steering 'electrics' issue according to my trusted diagnostics guy. I don't have the codes etc.

I've been advised to check with the dealer whether the car has been subject to a recall.

I've checked a couple of websites VOSA, TheAA and nothing relevant is listed for my vehicle.

However I was wondering whether there is some sort of classification where an official recall is not required but is 'desirable' and wouldn't be listed on these sort of sites ?

The reason I ask is that I had an 06 plate Ibiza and my current 61 plate Ibiza both from new and I remember having a recall letter for something relatively minor and I took it in for remedial action. The recalls listed on those sites didn't ring any bells.

Anyone offer any advice ?

Deleted member 67732

ring your seat dealership up, and ask if your car has had the power steering software update, this is not a recall as such

Deleted member 57710

ring your seat dealership up, and ask if your car has had the power steering software update, this is not a recall as such

Thanks for the advice. I did ring up and they are going to ring back on Monday as they only work until lunchtime Saturday.

From the wording you've used I take it there has been some sort of power steering software update. Do you have any further info so I can appear knowledgeable when I speak to them on Monday ?

Deleted member 67732

recall 481-6 power assisted steering as requested by seat u.k.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members