Turbo/Air intake noises

CupraTOC

Apr 1, 2015
There are various posts about the question I am about to ask but it seems to be a bit of a grey area as to whether it is normal or not...

Under WOT accelleration there is a distinctive sucking/whooshing sound coming from what appears to be the drivers side front corner or around that area whilst the turbo is boosting (Could this be the sound of air being sucked into the intake being deflected as intake obviously on the other side); also when you lift off from WOT as the turbo is boosting you can hear the air being dumped and I am not sure if any of these noises are normal as it is the first turbo car I have owned.

The car is totally standard and does not feel underpowered and doesnt seem to be any lag present, apart from under 2k revs when obviously the turbo has not kicked in.

I have checked turbo/intercooler pipes for splits and loose connections and there is no oil visible from around the joints where the boost pipes fit into the intercooler which, from what I have read, suggests these seals are doing their job?

Seat Leon Cupra 1P (2010) 57k on the clock

Last edited:

locky

May 5, 2014
North East
Sounds normal to me. You would surely be experiencing performance issues if there was a leak happening.

Standard you say? Check the connection where the air filter locates onto the turbo. Maybe worth checking your engine cover or any of the other intake parts for damage or cracks.

Dont forget your car has an artificial sound device around the middle behind the engine bulkhead so some nonsense will be coming out of that maybe misleading your ear.

A sound clip or vid might help.

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
Sounds normal to me too, but if it's very loud then it could be that damaged turbo intake pipe seal (I've posted that to you today btw) leaking. That's on the same side of the engine to where you're describing.

A subtle dumping noise is normal and is just the recirc valve doing its job.

Dirt Junkie

Feb 10, 2015
Yorkshire
thats pretty normal too. mine is stage 2+ and it makes a fluttering noise when accelerating from low speed in like 4th 5th or 6th.

CupraTOC

Apr 1, 2015
Thanks all for your help and of course richcupra for that seal.

I replaced that intake seal along with all of the green seals around the intercooler system and the horse shoe clips and I have to say, I am now only getting a slight turbo whistle and I have definately gained power. I can only assume I was losing too much boost through damaged/worn seals.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.