Water leak into footwell - dodgy seal info and DIY repair guide (Image links dead)

Luke_88

Nov 26, 2014
Coventry
Can't see images

For some reason I can't see the images in this guide, does anyone else have this problem?
Andy if you still have the word version any chance you or someone else could re-upload it?

Otherwise great job, I've been waiting for the weather to dry out a bit more before I try this (last time I looked at this thread a few months ago, the images displayed ok). Now we've got a bit better weather I just need to buy some sealer and replacement clips...

If it is wet just in the passengers footwell then the leak could be due to a poorly fitted pollen filter or cover.

Pollen filter cover – to remove : unscrew and pull out plastic clips with screw heads (circled red) then pull up rubber seal from end, marked with yellow arrow.

Pull cover outwards. Check pollen filter below is properly seated and clipped in. Remove leaves and dirt and check drain hole in corner next to pollen filter is clear.

Check condition of cover, repair any cracks, rips or holes with waterproof gaffer tape. Make sure cover is properly refitted so that the pollen filter is protected from water. Push rubber seal back into place...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*URL: Word document version of guide

jduggz08

Street Racer
Apr 21, 2015
Manchester
cheers lol , i was looking on the first page like a numpty and commented from there i didn't see the latest response haha.

Nice one for the reply matey

adem101

Sep 14, 2014
Looking for help

H guys,

I was just wondering if anyone around the Manchester area would be able to do this job to my Toledo Mk2?

I get, when it rains pretty heavily, water in both the front and rear of the car.

Would happily drive the car to a place of convenience and pay for parts and labour.

Thanks,
Adam

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
A few days late but...

If have not already got it fixed have confidence that the job is fairly easy with only a couple of tools and care needed. The worst thing is getting a good point of access to properly clean out the lower section of old degraded foam seal, for me that means lying on the ground :)

I have new sealing bead if you need it.

adem101

Sep 14, 2014
A few days late but...

If have not already got it fixed have confidence that the job is fairly easy with only a couple of tools and care needed. The worst thing is getting a good point of access to properly clean out the lower section of old degraded foam seal, for me that means lying on the ground :)

I have new sealing bead if you need it.
No problem, thanks for replying.

I haven't got the problem fixed yet, and I would be interested in arranging something.

How do we go about messaging one another privately?

Fawzia55

Jul 9, 2015
Cheers Lee,

Ahh just re-read what I typed, lol, I meant its done it for the second time in about two weeks, so not tried to fix it yet.

Had the car over a year and always been quite happy as never leaked, thought maybe as its a 55 plate 2006 model may have escaped the issue!

I shall have a proper look tonight :)

What I was getting at is, if its the pollen filter, would it damp on carpet under dash?

Then if the door would only be damp along the sill etc...?

Many thanks

CB

Hey I'm not sure how to reply to your comment on my post I've just joined
If you can private message me and we can discuss

Zo1989

Sep 23, 2015
Hi Guys,

I bought my Cupra R 3 weeks ago and knew about the leaky door problems but at rhe time the footwells were dry. I have since realised with all the heavy rain the passenger front and rear footwells are soaked. After using silicon around the membrane of the door and readjusting the pollen filter the front footwell has not leaked since. However he rear passenger footwell is still soaked everytime it rains. I have checked the inner door card and still no signs of any water but it still sits on the rubber at the bottom of the door and on the carpet.

I really would appreciate any suggestions anyone has please?

Thanks

Zo1989

Sep 23, 2015
I siliconed all around the speaker aswell and checked after it had rained the but the seals around the door card were bone dry.

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Did you actually dry out the footwells after doing the door liner and pollen filter? It holds a surprising amount under the carpet.

Did you use sealant when putting the pollen filter housing back in place and make sure the cover and its skirts were positioned correctly (old ones can be a bit misshapen over the years).

Did you clear out the drain hole to the side of it?

Did you also check the drain holes in the door were clear?

To test, secure a strip of paper along the door just under the inner panel then run plenty of water down the outside window. See if the paper stays dry. I would expect the lower rubber to be wet in normal use anyway.

Last edited:

aBoijj

May 20, 2009
Midlands
Potentially silly question, but do you park on a slope? i.e. Could water be running from front to back?

I like the idea of securing bits of paper (or cloth etc) to strategic areas to identify which get wet and which don't.