DPF removal on 170

cordoba175

Sep 15, 2008
Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone has had their DPF removed on a 170?
I know the everyone offering the service claims more power and improved mpg but I'm wary of having it done and then finding its not all its cracked up to be.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
Removing the dpf on it's own will do nothing but bring up the EML it's all down to who maps the car after the DPF is removed as to how the car will perform afterwards.

cordoba175

Sep 15, 2008
Yeah the ones I've looked at say they cut open the dpf, remove the inards and weld it back up and remap the car sorting out engine management and adding an extra 30/40 bhp in the process.
My worry is the engine putting out 200 bhp and the problems that might go along with that like clutch and fly wheel...

cordoba175

Sep 15, 2008
That makes for some scary reading! So although the filter element could be removed leaving the box behind, the car might still draw attention due to the increase in smoke during the test?
Looks like a remap then...

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Very very unlikely to notice any excessive smoke on the mot test unless it's massively over fuelling. The cr engines burn very efficiently anyway.

cordoba175

Sep 15, 2008
Maybe a remap is answer, it would worry me if they ever did decide to start actually testing the DPF's rather than just a visual check as they do now. I've just emailed autotune in ballymena for a price for a remap as the exeo wasn't on their list which I thought was strange...

Gizmo98

Jun 19, 2015
Maybe a remap is answer, it would worry me if they ever did decide to start actually testing the DPF's rather than just a visual check as they do now. I've just emailed autotune in ballymena for a price for a remap as the exeo wasn't on their list which I thought was strange...

Try torquetronics

T J Hooker

May 25, 2015
If you want a professional job and are willing to travel to dublin you won't get better than joe power. He does custom live mapping on the rollers. No two maps are the same with him.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

cordoba175

Sep 15, 2008
Cheers I'll check out joe power, I used torqtronix about ten years ago when I bought my last car and had no issues at all and clocked up over 200k on it, but there seem to be mixed comments about them on here and the software used.

T J Hooker

May 25, 2015
You can ring and talk to him and see for yourself, absolute gentleman 00353879113843 if you're phoning from across the border.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Garethm

Oct 8, 2014
Let us know what sort of price and gains your getting if you do phone please. Would be interested to find out

Cheers

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
visual smoke would only occur with the engine under load unless it's been poorly mapped and even if the box has been cut open and welded shut the tester has no proof that the dpf has been removed.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
There is no natural idle or fast idle test on the diesel testing system, never has been and for a tester to fail it without being able to physically inspect the insides of the dpf is unjustified failure and ground for a dvsa investigation. If a tester can't prove it, weld marks or not then they have to judge in the customers favour.

Last edited:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
MOT testing handbook, backed up by the dvsa.

If you can't prove something on a vehicle being tested you are NOT allowed to make assumptions and have to pass and advise in the customers favour.

what's to say those weld marks are not just the result of a repair? or where the heat shields have fallen off? mazda 6 has full heat shields bonded all around the dpf, tacked on with weld.

Last edited:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
VOSA no longer exists, it's now the DVSA.

I'm an MOT tester and have been for years. this particular topic has been discussed in great detail many times and special notices have been created in order to deal with the topic.

its exactly the same for any issue that's found on any car. If you only suspect and can't prove fault then you HAVE to pass and advise. you can't fail anything based on assumptions.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
It's down to the testers discretion. The test equipment doesn't include any noise measurement equipment such as a decibel meter so its all done by ear.

Most people find a friendly mot station that isn't too concerned with non safety related issues that are not a clear failure item.

cordoba175

Sep 15, 2008
My old mechanic is now an MOT inspector, I will try and speak to him next week and get his thoughts on DPF removal...

Evo4jon

Jan 31, 2015
Whenever I see a modern car puffing out black smoke on the motorway I always think, Hmmm this guys had his DPF removed.. Its a 2012 car ? Surely the police would pull him if they saw it ?

If I think this, then I reckon the cops would too !

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.