Warped discs, FR 14 plate

guari

Nov 17, 2014
Hi guys & gals.

I may know someone who may have warped his brake discs because of heavy braking in a controlled environment.

The car is a 14 plate FR 1.8 with 17 wheels. Is there anything on the market that will upgrade and handle long track days and every day use.

Thanks!

Edit: Does anybody know what replacement sizes I'd be loking for the FR? Is it the 312 front and the rear?

Thanks!

Last edited:

guari

Nov 17, 2014
Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Is this any good? The person who may have bent them just doesn't want no more warped discs. The car is used daily but would get fun use a few times of the year.

http://www.tarox.co.uk/product/fron...eat-leon-mk3-all-models-with-312mm-discs-g88/

The rears are smaller aren't they?

And lastly, would this need a larger-than-17 wheel. Seems expensive and a bit overkill though.

http://pbbrakes.com/seat-leon-mk3-12-up-rear-big-brake-kit.html

Don't see any point in putting a big brake kit on the REAR.

If you are going to put money in to it - put a big brake kit on the front.

Have a look for the VW 345mm brakes - that should do it with decent pads.

guari

Nov 17, 2014
Thanks, would the upgraded rotors suffice?

I don't need more stopping power (though it would be good) but rather, I wouldn't want to replace rotors often.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Hi guys & gals.

I may know someone who may have warped his brake discs because of heavy braking in a controlled environment.

The car is a 14 plate FR 1.8 with 17 wheels. Is there anything on the market that will upgrade and handle long track days and every day use.

Thanks!

Edit: Does anybody know what replacement sizes I'd be loking for the FR? Is it the 312 front and the rear?

Thanks!

Are you sure the brake discs are warped?

Often when people think they have warped discs they are not not warped at all but friction pad material transferred unevenly to the surface of the disc which gives the illusion of the disc being warped

Last edited:

guari

Nov 17, 2014
Are you sure the brake discs are warped?

Often when people think they have warped discs they are not not warped at all but friction pad material transferred unevenly to the surface of the disc which gives the illusion of the disc being warped

I'm going to upload a video, I'm 75% sure it's warped though

thanks

Last edited:

guari

Nov 17, 2014
This is what I'm getting when braking. It happened after intense braking and getting the discs very hot.

https://youtu.be/bXJ_hOnw34c

watch to second 20

It's a horrendous judder that was not there at all before. I want to get it fixed and would love for it to not happy again, that's why I'm a bit at a loss. I'm not sure if upgrading the rotors will suffice for upcoming trackdays and daily use.

Last edited:

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
This is what I'm getting when braking. It happened after intense braking and getting the discs very hot.

https://youtu.be/bXJ_hOnw34c

watch to second 20

It's a horrendous judder that was not there at all before. I want to get it fixed and would love for it to not happy again, that's why I'm a bit at a loss. I'm not sure if upgrading the rotors will suffice for upcoming trackdays and daily use.

That's pretty bad, I'd try to get to the cause of it before I did anything else, are the brakes simply undersized on the 1.4 for trackdays?.
Are you simply using them too hard? (Lots of people do -I used too- and automatically think they need bigger brakes,I know a guy with a gt3 who thought he needed bigger brakes for trackdays??, half a days instruction with a track instructor and he soon realised he didn't and saved himself 8 grand on new brakes.
Do you do a cool down lap or do you just come straight off after driving hard and come to a stop in the paddock with your foot on the brake pedal ?

I'd also measure the run out on your disks with a dial gauge- that will tell you off the bat if the discs are out of true etc- and measure the disk thickness in several places to see if you have material build up on the discs- often the cause of brake judder, but often missed and put down to warped discs especially as you said yourself the discs got pretty hot.

I'd also look over the front suspension, bushes, wheel bearings etc for play -unlikely as quite a new car- but you never know and that does seem to be lot of juddering in your video. :)

guari

Nov 17, 2014
That's pretty bad, I'd try to get to the cause of it before I did anything else, are the brakes simply undersized on the 1.4 for trackdays?.
Are you simply using them too hard? (Lots of people do -I used too- and automatically think they need bigger brakes,I know a guy with a gt3 who thought he needed bigger brakes for trackdays??, half a days instruction with a track instructor and he soon realised he didn't and saved himself 8 grand on new brakes.
Do you do a cool down lap or do you just come straight off after driving hard and come to a stop in the paddock with your foot on the brake pedal ?

I'd also measure the run out on your disks with a dial gauge- that will tell you off the bat if the discs are out of true etc- and measure the disk thickness in several places to see if you have material build up on the discs- often the cause of brake judder, but often missed and put down to warped discs especially as you said yourself the discs got pretty hot.

I'd also look over the front suspension, bushes, wheel bearings etc for play -unlikely as quite a new car- but you never know and that does seem to be lot of juddering in your video. :)
Thanks for the thorough reply. Much appreciated.

I'm sure my technique has plenty room for improvement and I've already booked a track instructor for Croft in the next month :)

I know I did push hard on the brakes though as I was progressively and safely testing the car's limit. It was a full 9am-5pm trackday so the brakes got plenty of use.

I'm not sold on the idea of super brake upgrade as I'm doing track days for personal fun and I'm not chasing numbers and lap times. It's just good fun. But I'm certain that if I replace the rotors for OEM ones I'm likely to get them very hot. Again. I'd like to avoid that and was wondering if those new aftermarket rotors would help.

Anyhow, I do agree with your suggestion and will take it to a mechanic to have a look at it before spending lots of money..

Thanks!

EDIT: I have wheel chokes and never ever left the car with either the handbrakes or regular brake with my foot on after a lap. Always chokes on on neutral with car idling to protect the turbo and brakes

Last edited:

JamieLittwin

0-60 In Sparrows Cough
Mar 2, 2015
I must admit, I use B roads all the time and I've had mine smoking after a short blast. I'm 100% looking for different discs and pads, ebc I think thats the brand

guari

Nov 17, 2014
Just passed by my trusted mechanic and he saw the video I linked. His opinion was for disc replacement and to look for an aftermarket option unless I want that happening again. He's a VAG only mechanic..

Now the hunt begins for better hardware

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.