Bootlid will not lock when shut

ZiggyEP3

Jan 28, 2013
UK
My bootlid has decided to play games and now when you shut it the latch won't engage and so you can just lift the boot lid open again .If you accelerate more than a milk float then the boot hatch flies open like a new spoiler .Is it and east thing to take a look at to fix or is it a garage job. I will try and rig it shut with ropes for now to try and keep it shut .Just means I can't lock the car right now. :cry:

When you lift the S badge it makes a cogs loose sound and was wondering if the parts are expensive as I need a clutch so need to keep costs down :(

ZiggyEP3

Jan 28, 2013
UK
Here is a bad noise when lifting the S badge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEcwNiusmyQ

Took a picture of the inside of the bootlid and will get a better one tomorrow so I can show people where the clips holding the bootliner on are.

Here is one from today.

Anyone have an idea whats up with it ? Solenoid in the S badge or the latch at the bottom but I will need someone to lift the badge while I'm sat in the boot I think.

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
Sounds like a solenoid issue to me, it's not fully engaging. Can't you test it with the boot open, push the latch in a closed position with a screwdriver then test? I'm sure I did that with my car when I was testing lights a while back

kingkenny77

Feb 7, 2013
Quick update from me. I had exact same issue as described by the OP.

Bought new lock mechanism (latch) direct from SEAT. Part No IPO827505D9B9, Cost £61.

You need to remove the internal plastic cover as shown in the pic from OP. This is held in to place with 2 screws then you can pop it out with a pull from the edges.

Then the actual unit is held in to place with 2 bolts - this is where I had the main issue as these are "spline" bolts. Unlike a torque bolt which has 6 fins, the spline has 12. I found it hard to locate any in Halfords, B&Q, and 3 other DIY stores. Screwfix have them but didnt have in stock

Eventually got a set from MachineMart - £12 but also had to get the wrench to fit which was £13. So another £25 in total.

There is a push fit electronic connection to the latch mechanism, that is all. Easy replacement (once had right tools), took less than 10mins realistically. Nothing else to it, no re-coding etc. Job done.

Hope this is of some use to anyone else with this unfortunate annoying issue.

CyborgCupraJQ

Boca Inside*
Dec 28, 2010
Oporto, Portugal
Good lord. It did happen to me yesterday! Boot wont close because latch does not engage. Sometimes it does but I can disengage with my finger. Gotta buy another lock mechanism tomorrow.
looks like its a common fault.

Just so you guys can find it easir: Part Number: 1P0827505D

Last edited:

ZiggyEP3

Jan 28, 2013
UK
Just to wrap it up i thought i should upload a better pic showing where the clips are:-

The inside of the full bootlid. Its a little dim as the daylight drowned it a bit.

The odd thing is that the plastic back cover was loose on the old one and once removed from it when off the car the latch would click shut again. Maybe the plastic cover was jamming it somehow but either way I was lucky in the respect that the spline bit I needed just happened to be in my works desk draw in a mini toolkit called Powerfix Flexi+

Cant find the toolkit online right now but it was £14 iirc got it in Lidl of all places

unerdanielson

Oct 27, 2009
Quick update from me. I had exact same issue as described by the OP.

Bought new lock mechanism (latch) direct from SEAT. Part No IPO827505D9B9, Cost £61.

You need to remove the internal plastic cover as shown in the pic from OP. This is held in to place with 2 screws then you can pop it out with a pull from the edges.

Then the actual unit is held in to place with 2 bolts - this is where I had the main issue as these are "spline" bolts. Unlike a torque bolt which has 6 fins, the spline has 12. I found it hard to locate any in Halfords, B&Q, and 3 other DIY stores. Screwfix have them but didnt have in stock

Eventually got a set from MachineMart - £12 but also had to get the wrench to fit which was £13. So another £25 in total.

There is a push fit electronic connection to the latch mechanism, that is all. Easy replacement (once had right tools), took less than 10mins realistically. Nothing else to it, no re-coding etc. Job done.

Hope this is of some use to anyone else with this unfortunate annoying issue.

Can anyone tell me what size spline socket I need to remove the two bolts holding the locking mechanism in at all?

unerdanielson

Oct 27, 2009
Don't suppose anyone can tell me the secret to disconnecting this plug. I knew VAG plugs to be difficult in the past but this things making a mockery of me.
dda31471770455e26cfa8eb595698a85.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unerdanielson

Oct 27, 2009
Well after replacing the locking mechanism still no better off. Any other ideas what it could be, I first suspected the solenoid but the fact it's not opening via the handle, key or the button inside the car. Anyone else had this issue?

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
When you activate the boot switch does the lock make any kind of sound? normally if the lock makes a horrible sound it's the mechanism if not it's going to be the switch. I've seen a few cases with damaged wiring also causing this if you can visually inspect the loom for any damage and again if possible check you have power and ground at the connector.

unerdanielson

Oct 27, 2009
When you activate the boot switch does the lock make any kind of sound? normally if the lock makes a horrible sound it's the mechanism if not it's going to be the switch. I've seen a few cases with damaged wiring also causing this if you can visually inspect the loom for any damage and again if possible check you have power and ground at the connector.

It may have made the noise one. I can't see any damage to the wiring as such. Their was a bit of blue around the plug to the actual handle but I cleaned that off. Suppose next thing to try is solenoid. Can it be bought separate or do you have to buy it with the handle. Anyone had experience with getting hold of the solenoid.

unerdanielson

Oct 27, 2009
Got a handle today, switched the solenoid over all working great again. Now I've got a spare locking mechanism to shift.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members