Oil Filter cap not budging :(

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Have you popped into a garage yet and got them to do it, can't see them charging too much and they will have bigger tools than you.

Or go to somewhere like Halfords that do a oil change for £30, either way it is their problem if they break it :)

Or ignore the cap and just replace the whole housing, just seen this one on ebay for £19.95 del. Search for item 171211443461

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
I've not yet popped in to a garage yet, not sure if it's due to feeling cheeky about wanting to ask them to crack it open or just because I want to do it myself? Either way, I believe I'm going to need a new cap regardless haha! Though they will definitely have bigger tools than me. :D

Hmm, will have a look at that housing though I'd rather steer clear from Halfords doing work on my car, I've never had my own personal trust with them I don't mind buying from them I just don't feel comfortable in their working on my car in that respect :)

--Lee

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
Haha, yeah that's true but it means I've got to travel from Halfords to get home with 2 kids, which they wouldn't want to walk that distance, then I'm without a car until they can get a filter cap replacement for me, I'd rather have the car sat out side my flat so I can see it rather than on Halfords car park where it's a good few miles away :D

Just checked that housing, the one I'd need is a different part number, this one: 038 115 389 C

I'd rather reduce the cost of that for now haha! :D

--Lee

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The cap is hollow, it goes over the filter. Anyway,for it to be giving way enough to let the solid cast cup wrench tool to slip round means it has to be hollow.

As far as your oil filter is concerned, the worst you can expect is that is blocked with crud. The good news is that there is a relief valve in the filter housing which will open if the filter becomes too choked, so you won't lose oil pressure. But if that opens you will lose filtration, which you would rather avoid....

If it comes to the worst you can replace the whole filter housing, probably with one from a scrapper. It bolts to the block with four bolts, just needing new gaskets and some o-rings for the turbo feed banjo connection.

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
you could cut the cap off but problem is debris going in the housing, with it only being soft metal or cast aluminium you coul crack the housing with it being so tight, at least the cap was only £10.

Reactions: Israar

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I fear that, if you cut or smash the cap off, the deep threaded part will still remain stuck inside the housing cylinder, and getting it out without damaging the housing to the point where it will leak is going to be challenging.

The video below shows the filter change on an ALH engine,similar to the ASV, and gives you an idea of what the cap looks like inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEJU4Zq65GY

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Well, you would need new gaskets and o-rings. And, make sure to ask the seller if the cap is loose . . .

Agreed of course, and do you really think there could be another cap in all the world that is at tight as israar's!!!

I think when the last person fitted it instead of a smear of oil on the seal they used superglue.

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
Just get a new housing

I will be taking you up on this now mate after replying to the thread, verbal_kint has found a full housing for just over £10, though I'll be doing as suggested above about making sure the cap is loose =)

The cap is hollow, it goes over the filter. Anyway,for it to be giving way enough to let the solid cast cup wrench tool to slip round means it has to be hollow.

As far as your oil filter is concerned, the worst you can expect is that is blocked with crud. The good news is that there is a relief valve in the filter housing which will open if the filter becomes too choked, so you won't lose oil pressure. But if that opens you will lose filtration, which you would rather avoid....

If it comes to the worst you can replace the whole filter housing, probably with one from a scrapper. It bolts to the block with four bolts, just needing new gaskets and some o-rings for the turbo feed banjo connection.

Ah, thanks mate and yeah I was really surprised that the new cup wrench slipped, I have to say that the new cup wrench was definitely a nice buy, just gutted about it not working due to the position the current cap is in.

Didn't know about the relief valve either and I'm hoping that's not what is happening! How quickly would you expect new oil to turn from golden to dark/black after an oil change plus oil filter change?

As stated above, verbal_kint has found a nice replacement for mine (the housing that is) so will be going that route, do you know what type of bolts, gaskets and o-rings I'd need? That way I can get them? Is there any specific torque settings needed for the new bolts? Also, not sure about this but going this route I know I need to drop the oil again but would I be creating a problem putting the oil back in or would I be better off supplying new oil again given my oil is not even a month old yet? :confused:

you could cut the cap off but problem is debris going in the housing, with it only being soft metal or cast aluminium you coul crack the housing with it being so tight, at least the cap was only £10.

One thing for sure is I don't want to be messing with debris in my engine bay haha, although when I get this sorted completely I'd taking that cap off one way or another to find out what exactly the condition the previous filter was in and just to prove a point to that cap that it will come off (albeit smashed to bits if it has to haha :rofl:)

The video below shows the filter change on an ALH engine,similar to the ASV, and gives you an idea of what the cap looks like inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEJU4Zq65GY

Cheers Muttley, nice find, see how EASILY that cap came off! :blink: My cap is a rebel thanks to the previous turd cow boy. [:@]

Ok, so my last item wasn't the right one so how about this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/98-09-sko...292?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a3c20e964

£10.80 delivered AND 10 NECTAR POINTS!!!

What more do you want, get it and half hour later your troubles could be over.

Haha thanks mate, if I sounded disrespectful I'm sorry I didn't mean to as you're going out of your way for me and I appreciate it completely! :)

I've just had a gander at this and I'll be making a purchase though as stated from Muttley I'll be asking if the cap is loose first haha! :)

I don't want another stubborn cap! :rofl:

I've seen this nectar points all over the place, what the hell are they for?

Well, you would need new gaskets and o-rings. And, make sure to ask the seller if the cap is loose . . .

Will definitely be asking that question mate, is there any chance you or anyone could post me to the right gaskets, bolts and o-rings so I can have them on hand to do please as I've not got a clue on what to get for this?

Agreed of course, and do you really think there could be another cap in all the world that is at tight as israar's!!!

I think when the last person fitted it instead of a smear of oil on the seal they used superglue.

I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the only one this tight mate, maybe it's the first to crop up here haha but then again, I'm not like some people who have the confidence to butcher theirs in their engine bay haha! :D

LMFAO! :rofl::lol: If someone ever used super glue on one of these man, I'd probably cry with laughter :D

Thanks again all, I really do appreciate all the help and suggestions, much :love: for you all! :)

--Lee

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
As far as the oil is concerned just re-use it.

Nectar points are the Sainsburys loyalty reward system but you can collect them at lots of places, think my ebay purchases this year alone have given me £50 in rewards.

I can't see why the bolts would be stretch so you could just re-use them. Gasket you may need though and the Torque settings I can find for you.

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
You might have to cut the top off if you do not get a housing mate, at least the rest of the cap will have less presser on it for removal, if that happened to me that's what I whould of done last resort. For what it costs for oil I whould replace that as well as you do not no how long that filter has been in their.

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
As far as the oil is concerned just re-use it.

Nectar points are the Sainsburys loyalty reward system but you can collect them at lots of places, think my ebay purchases this year alone have given me £50 in rewards.

I can't see why the bolts would be stretch so you could just re-use them. Gasket you may need though and the Torque settings I can find for you.

Thanks Verbal, I was trying to reply last night as I got to work on my phone but my phone decided to go from 70%~ restarted showing 1%~ so I pulled out the battery as it kept restarting and turned it on just after work and it showed 50% -- I think something is up with it haha! :D

Again, thank's so much for the help I'll reuse the oil and I'm going to have a look in to this nectar points business, I've never shopped at Sainsbury, but having nectar points seems like a wise thing to collect now I know what they're for! :)

I've got it on order, the housing you posted, before I attempt to do a full housing transfer I'll use my last ditch attempt to try and take the cap off with the chain socket I purchased from Halfords, if that works I can keep the housing as a spare and replace the cap that comes with it, if not, then I'll have to set aside time to do the job properly as I'll inevitably lose coolant. Was having a nosy this morning after work before setting off home and it looks like a little pain to work with all the pipes in the way but might be fairly easy, will have to see! :D

You might have to cut the top off if you do not get a housing mate, at least the rest of the cap will have less presser on it for removal, if that happened to me that's what I whould of done last resort. For what it costs for oil I whould replace that as well as you do not no how long that filter has been in their.

That's true concerning how long the filter has been in the car for, I've not the foggiest idea, though my oil is at most 3 weeks old? I should have the housing come thursday~ then I can see what happens, all being well this goes smooth! :)

--Lee

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
Hope so lol, the way this is going every wall is being hit

Sorry mate I missed the notification for this reply! Yeah I've hit some walls so far, but no wall is indestructible ;-)

Seems like you're not the only one:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showpost.php?p=4483481&postcount=8

Halfway down the post.

I've read this one before, I was loving the work he was doing rebuilding the engine, just way above my league haha!

I didn't notice about his oil filter cap though, I completely missed that! Nice find though mate, that housing you linked me, I've got in the flat now brought it back from my ex's as I have my items delivered to hers as I've more chance of her being in and up during parcel delivery times with me working nights! :D

I rang the guy beforehand asking about the cap being loose and he said it will be tested before sending out save any hassle, I could open it by hand though there was some minor force involved, so the cap is awesome, took 2 pictures or so just not uploaded them yet.

Tomorrow will be attempting the last try to take the cap off with the chain socket and breaker bar with having a replacement cap now, fingers crossed for that otherwise it will be a housing job haha! :D

Just on a side note, got a new (original) N75 valve on its way, courtesy of Dave at Sere so I can replace this Audi N75 valve that the garage up Manchester put on for me when they was fault finding my early engine troubles which turned out to be sticky vanes! :D

--Lee

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
Thanks mate, same roll on tomorrow and will be nice to let this case rest! Once I'm done with this, power test will be booked then I can plan my next present for the beauty! :D

--Lee

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.