Coolant Leak?

DiddlyDonker

Jan 3, 2015
North Wales
Me again guys! And this time it's my coolant.

So I noticed my coolant was beginning to drop quite rapidly the other day so I did a little test. I topped it up just above the Max line yesterday before driving an hour home as it was well below minimum:

Did my hour trip home and noticed it had dropped slightly so I let the engine cool down and marked the coolant bottle with a black line and left it over night. Woke up to this:

Either someone is siphoning it while I sleep or its leaking somewhere. The little black line to the left of the Max Min level line is where it was before I went to bed. I've checked for leaks with the engine running and I couldn't see any above or looking under the car, I've placed cardboard under the car and nothing has dripped onto it. The only possibility of a leak I've noticed is before I did my hour journey home yesterday I reversed the car and went to check for any signs of leaks and there was a very small patch of greasy liquid on the chippings.

Any ideas what this could be, I've heard horror stories of a blown head gasket etc, what can I do to check what's going on? It's booked in at the garage but I'm going abroad for two weeks on Monday and the garage can't fit me in until the day after I come back!

Is it safe to drive if I keep on eye on the coolant levels as I was supposed to be driving and leaving my car at the airport?

Thanks for any help as always.

Last edited:

SkyNet

Jun 27, 2015
Better to do a check at your water pump....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dorny

Feb 23, 2015
Yeah check for connection points around the radiator, any cracks or pin holes in the pipping and also check the waterpump. When was the last time you had the timing belt changed? and If so did it have the water pumped changed aswell. Check around the area for any orange/yellow looking staining on the engine near the water pump etc as coolant leaves stains where it is dripping.

DiddlyDonker

Jan 3, 2015
North Wales
Thanks for the advice guys I'll check the rad and water pump.

Yeah check for connection points around the radiator, any cracks or pin holes in the pipping and also check the waterpump. When was the last time you had the timing belt changed? and If so did it have the water pumped changed aswell. Check around the area for any orange/yellow looking staining on the engine near the water pump etc as coolant leaves stains where it is dripping.

Timing belt was changed when I bought the car in February but not the water pump.

DiddlyDonker

Jan 3, 2015
North Wales
Check all water connections and radiator' if no joy could well be the EGR cooler if there's no signs of leaks, doubt it's the head

Reassuring to hear it's unlikely to be the head!

Have you had the under tray off to see if you can see any leaks? That would be my first port of call

Didn't even think to take that off :blink: . Good call though, not had time to do anything and doubt I'll have much time before I leave Monday. Reckon I would still be able to drive it if I keep an eye on the coolant? I.e if any of you were in this situation would you drive it?

Thanks

Dorny

Feb 23, 2015
As long as it has water in the system then its fine, so just have a few bottles of water with you and keep an eye on it. How quickly is it going down?

Thanks for the advice guys I'll check the rad and water pump.

Timing belt was changed when I bought the car in February but not the water pump.

Should of really of had the water pump done at the same time as the belt, as you might as well do it when your down there and have the belt off and its only around £30-40 for the part. And its a lot cheaper in labour as your not doing the same essential job twice. What is the mileage of the car? Water Pumps are roughly around 50-60k.

Again a visual inspect will show if it the pump, run the engine get it hot and look around the water pump, you will see drips and staining.

Last edited:

DiddlyDonker

Jan 3, 2015
North Wales
As long as it has water in the system then its fine, so just have a few bottles of water with you and keep an eye on it. How quickly is it going down?

Should of really of had the water pump done at the same time as the belt, as you might as well do it when your down there and have the belt off and its only around £30-40 for the part. And its a lot cheaper in labour as your not doing the same essential job twice. What is the mileage of the car? Water Pumps are roughly around 50-60k.

Again a visual inspect will show if it the pump, run the engine get it hot and look around the water pump, you will see drips and staining.

If driven it goes down more but looses about a mm or so overnight. Pictures show how much a bit better. The belt was a throw in the garage offered when I bought the car so didn't think to ask about the water pump as I was getting the belt free. Car is at 83k now.

Thanks for the advice.

Deleted member 74601

I had this, had my water pump changed when Cambelt was done, and fixed it. Reckon it's your water pump.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.