Rob_Talisman

MKII CR FR 170 FL Stage 2
Sep 2, 2013
North East
Just had my 2010 Facelift FR CR170 TDI serviced. came back saying i need:

new front wipers

Fornt discs and pads all round

and Air Con service...

Air con works fine, so guess there just looking for cash for nothing.

Front discs are fine with corrosion on the outer rim, cant see they need replacing just for that as loads of wear left.

Pads ok fair do and same with wipers.

What wipers and pads do people recomend? And can i replace pads myself (no speacil tool requirements?)

What doscs would you recomend too? May as well look into them.

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Yes pads are easy to do.

Not sure on the best recommendations though. As for wipers you cant go wrong with Valeo Silencio wipers.

Hello,

I ordered Mintex Discs/Pads for mine the last time I replaced my discs/pads all round.

For reference, the Mintex PN's for front/rear:
Front Discs: TMD MDC1706
Front Pads (M1144): TMD MDB2604M1144
Front Pads (Std): TMD MDB2604
Rear Discs: TMD MDC1640
Rear Pads: TMD MDB1377

I plumped for the M1144's on the front and boggo rear pads (rears contribute very little to braking).

At the time I ordered mine Brake Depot offered Mintex Discs machined and a Zinc plating service to prevent the bells from rusting and I also opted to get dimple/grooves machined on the front discs. This cost ~£270 all in IIRC. I went on recently and they don't seem to offer Mintex discs any more, just blueprint parts which I wasn't so keen on.

The front discs/pads I would say is an easy afternoon job if you follow one of the VW Vortex guides for changing discs.

Last edited:

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
I'd give Dave @ Sere a shout, he has a 40% off sale for brake pads and discs at the moment: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=249

I replaced new discs and pads (all OEM) on my car and it was £180 delivered from Dave. You probably need your VIN when ordering as well. Easy job, front and back, probably takes about 30 mins per wheel. Your discs and pads are probably more expensive, mine are 288mm front diameter.
For the rear brake calipers you'd need a piston windback tool. I bought a Draper windback tool, was around £12 from eBay. I also replaced the brake fluid which cost just under £7 from EuroCarParts.
Here's a vid that shows how to change the front brakes and discs. The front brake carrier bolts are different on the Seats than in the vid, they are allen bolts 7mm in size.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QO2Z9AZaeY
I also had to use a rubber mallet to get the old brake discs off on all wheels, they were stuck real good.

Windscreen wipers, Dave @ Sere is selling them for £25 on offer at the moment.

I have Bosch Aerotwin wipers on my car currentlyt, 2nd time I've bought them and they don't seem to last, I have a set of OEM wipers that I'll be fitting soon though.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.