LCR Rattle

ginger3131

Feb 25, 2013
Nottingham
Hi guys,

Just looking for a bit of help. I have a metallic rattle, on both cold start and when pulling off from idle, that has been driving me mad for months. After searching this forum and youtube I have found someone with a similar problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5s0rRXZ-V4

The resonating rattle when revving doesn't occur on mine, just the constant rattle. I have also checked the heat shields which all seem fine.

Audio file of mine below, sorry about the birds :whistle:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8cxwoq

Any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Dave_c85

Dec 1, 2013
Was gonna say heat shields as that's the problem I had but if you have checked them then not.too sure what else it could be

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

ginger3131

Feb 25, 2013
Nottingham
Thanks for the replies guys. I've had a downpipe and decat fitted since this problem occurred and unfortunately didn't solve it.

Which heat shields are the main culprit for the rattle? I'm tempted to remove them.

Last edited:

ginger3131

Feb 25, 2013
Nottingham
The DP and decat is around 5-6 months old mated to the original rear section and backbox. The sound DID exist before I had the exhaust work done. The gearbox has been out for clutch work too and the rattle remains. The sound is coming from underneath the front 3rd of the car, maybe behind the engine around the downpipe section. It's really hard to pinpoint.

Last edited:

Uzzy-

Sep 6, 2013
Huddersfield
I thought it would have been that the downpipe hitting something, but if it existed before you had that fitted then I doubt it's that.

Long shot but could it be something to do with the engine mounts?

ginger3131

Feb 25, 2013
Nottingham
The engine mounts seems rock solid with no unusual engine movement when revving. At one point I thought it was a turbo problem but after fitting my B5 tip and checking the turbo it seems to have no play what so ever. It's been driving me mad for over half a year now!

ginger3131

Feb 25, 2013
Nottingham
After work today I started her up from cold next to a brick wall with the windows down to help identify this sound.

I now believe, when cold, that the sound is coming from the turbo and/or manifold. The sound occurs simultaneously with the initial turbo spool.

To confirm, I have checked the compressor wheel and it has no play.

I'm really struggling with this one!

markpile

Wolves till i die!!!!
Mar 15, 2014
Wolverhampton
U say gearbox been out has the car got a dual mass flywheel I had simular noises and was the dmf springs had gone

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

ginger3131

Feb 25, 2013
Nottingham
Thanks for the reply bud, but the sound was there before and after the clutch and dual mass flywheel were replaced.

Last edited:

tchallenger

Feb 20, 2014
Did you ever find the course of this noise ? Mine sounds identical to the one on you tube on a cold start it sounds horrible, do you think it might be blowing gasket around the manifold/turbo and when warm the metal expands and fills the gap ?

ginger3131

Feb 25, 2013
Nottingham
Unfortunately not, it's been driving me mad for months! I think you may be onto something as the warmer I get the car, the better it is. When its cold it sounds horrific!

It's a shame the manifold is the hardest thing to remove as I would change the gaskets this weekend if I could!

ginger3131

Feb 25, 2013
Nottingham
A year later and this issue is still ongoing!

Here's another video found with this same issue - https://youtu.be/K2j3Qh0eiAQ

At 00:15 seconds onwards the exact noise I have is shown, again from underneath / behind the engine.

Just to recap...

- Exhaust / Downpipe replaced
- Clutch and flywheel replaced
- Tip replaced and turbo checked for play - Zero play
- Multiple oil / filter changes - No change in sound
- Heat Shields adjusted / moved / bent - No change

When cold, the rattle is at it's loudest, but still present at lower rpms when hot. Cold idle maintains this noise until revs drop and the sound stops until the throttle is pressed.

One thing to note is since this rattling issue, my intake rawr is pretty much non existent, where as before it was very loud. The intake rawr has basically been replaced with this rattle.

Last edited:

chriss1987

Jan 22, 2015
When i first heard the video i thought crank bearings it sounded very similar to mine and my mates when ours went but cant really make it out on the youtube clip. Is it speed related?
Towards the end of the clip it does sound like a tray or something is catching the body of the car causing a vibration.

tchallenger

Feb 20, 2014
A year later and this issue is still ongoing!

Here's another video found with this same issue - https://youtu.be/K2j3Qh0eiAQ

At 00:15 seconds the exact noise I have is shown, again from underneath / behind the engine.

Just to recap...

- Exhaust / Downpipe replaced
- Clutch and flywheel replaced
- Tip replaced and turbo checked for play - Zero play
- Multiple oil / filter changes - No change in sound
- Heat Shields adjusted / moved / bent - No change

When cold, the rattle is at it's loudest, but still present at lower rpms when hot. Cold idle maintains this noise until revs drop and the sound stops until the throttle is pressed.

One thing to note is since this rattling issue, my intake rawr is pretty much non existent, where as before it was very loud. The intake rawr has basically been replaced with this rattle.
That's my car ginger, I put it up in the hope someone would know, still makes it but only when very cold..... However I did change the turbo downpipe gasket and its not as bad now ?!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.