SEAT cars & EBD?

asaid

Jul 21, 2015
Hi Guys,

May I ask why all SEAT cars don't have EBD "Electronic Braking Distribution"? or it's included implicitly within it's ABS system? As far as I know that Leon, Ibiza & Toledo cars starting from 2013 don't have EBD, or at least it is not mentioned in their specifications. So I need someone to clarify that point for me :)

Thanks in advance

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Straight out of the manual:

|Electronic stability control (ESC)
Fig. 65
ESC system: TCS button
First read and observe the introductory information and safety warnings
on page 69.
The ESC helps to maintain control of the vehicle in situations where it is being operated
at its dynamic limits, such as a sudden change to the direction of travel.
The risk of skidding is reduced and your car thus offers greater driving stability
depending on the conditions of the road surface.
The direction which the driver wishes to take is determined based on the steering
angle and the speed of the vehicle and is constantly compared with the actual
behaviour of the vehicle. In the event of deviations, such as if the car starts to
skid, the ESC automatically brakes the appropriate wheel.
During an intervention of the system, the warning light  flashes in the instrument
cluster.
The following systems are integrated into the stabilisation control (ESC):
Antilock brake system (ABS)
› Traction control (TCS)
› Electronic Differential Lock (EDL)
› Brake assistant (HBA)
› Hill hold control (HHC)

It is not possible to deactivate ESC. You can only use the button  » Fig. 65 to
switch off ASR. The TCS warning light lights up in the instrument cluster when
the TCS is switched off .
The TCS should normally always be switched on. It may be advisable to switch off
the system in certain exceptional circumstances, such as:
› when driving with snow chains;
› when driving in deep snow or on a very loose surface;
› when it is necessary to “rock a vehicle free” when it has got stuck. £
ä
Starting-off and Driving 71
Ensure the TCS is switched on again afterwards.
Hydraulic brake assist (HBA)
The HBA is activated by the very quick operation of the brake pedal. It increases
the braking effect and helps to shorten the braking distance. To achieve the
shortest possible braking distance, the brake pedal must be applied firmly and
held in this position until the vehicle has come to a complete standstill.
The ABS is activated faster and more effectively with the intervention of the
brake assist system.
The brake assist function is automatically switched off when the brake pedal is
released.
Hill hold control (HHC)
The HHC makes it easier to start off on steep hills. The system holds the brake
pressure produced by the activation of the brake pedal for approx. 2 seconds after
the brake pedal is released. The driver can therefore move his foot from the
brake pedal to the accelerator pedal and start off on the slope, without having to
actuate the handbrake. The brake pressure drops gradually the more you operate
the accelerator pedal. If the vehicle does not start off within 2 seconds, it starts
to roll back.
The HHC is active as of a 5 % slope, if the driver door is closed. It is always active
on slopes when in forward or reverse start off. When driving downhill, it is inactive.
Ð
Antilock brake system (ABS)
on page 69.
ABS prevents the wheels locking when braking. Thus helping the driver to maintain
control of the vehicle.
The intervention of the ABS is noticeable from the pulsating movements of the
brake pedal which is accompanied by noises.
Do not reduce the pressure on the brake pedal during the intervention of the
ABS. The ABS deactivates if the brake pedal is released. Never interrupt the application
of the brakes during the intervention of the ABS! Ð
ä
Traction control (ASR)
on page 69.
If the wheels are slipping, the TCS adapts the engine speed to the conditions of
the road surface. The TCS makes it much easier to start off, accelerate and climb
steep hills even if the conditions of the road surface are unfavourable.
During an intervention of the system, the TCS indicator light 1) flashes in the instrument
cluster. Ð
Electronic differential lock (EDL)
on page 69.
If one of the wheels starts to spin, the EDL system brakes the spinning wheel and
transfers the driving force to the other wheels. This ensures the stability of the
vehicle and a quick journey.
The EDL switches off automatically if unusually severe stresses exist in order to
avoid excessive heat generation in the disc brake on the wheel which is being
braked. The vehicle can continue to be driven and has the same characteristics as
a vehicle not fitted with EDL. The EDL switches on again automatically as soon as
the brake has cooled down. Ð
ä
ä
1) Valid for vehicles without Electronic Stability Control (ESC).
72 Using the system
Shifting
Fig. 66
Gearshift pattern of 5 gear or
6 gear manual gearbox
Always depress the clutch pedal fully when changing gear, to prevent excessive
wear of the clutch.
The gearshift indicator must be observed when changing gear » page 11.
Only engage reverse gear when the vehicle is stationary. Depress the clutch pedal
and hold it fully depressed. Wait a moment before reverse gear is engaged to
avoid any shift noises.
The reversing lights will come on once reverse gear is engaged, provided the ignition
is on.
WARNING
Never engage reverse gear when driving - risk of accident!
Note
If not in the process of changing gear, do not leave your hand on the gearshift
lever while driving. The pressure from the hand can cause the gearshift mechanism
to wear excessively. Ð
pedals
The operation of the pedals must not be hindered under any circumstances!
In the driver's footwell, only a footmat, which is attached to the two corresponding
attachment points, may be used.

I think they just use different abbreviations these days.

asaid

Jul 21, 2015
Thanks camelspyyder for your reply. Yeah all of the above is correct. But none of them describe the EBD function. I thought the same as you did, that they are using another abbreviations or technologies. But actually the ESC, EDL, ABS, BAS & HHC are somethings different than the EBD.

EBD is: "electronic brake force distribution." Wheels from locking during emergency braking situation, EBD ABS action in the balance before each round has an effective ground grip, you can prevent drift and sway, and shorten the brake distance.

Also you can search on youtube about the effectiveness of the EBD and how it's working, unfortunately I'm not allowed to include links in my post

So the question still remains, have SEAT cars EBD system or not :)

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
ESP distributes the brake pressure to each individual wheel in order to prevent the car from loosing control. Is that what you're asking?

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
See MJ's post.

The answer is Yes.

It's just part of the ESC /ESP these days.

It's no longer advertised because almost all cars have it.

EBD only works until the point where ABS kicks in.

Last edited:

asaid

Jul 21, 2015
OK cool, but what if my car doesn't have ESC. In my country Egypt SEAT cars don't have ESC installed. And I've read online many times that EBD is one of the functions of the ABS system. So does this mean that I don't have EBD as long as I don't have ESC? or it's included in the ABS by default?

asaid

Jul 21, 2015
It's my first time to know that EBD is part of ESP not ABS. I'm so disappointed really due to the fact that my car doesn't have EBD installed based on your replies. But may I ask where I can find that info in VW group website? I surfed the internet for finding an answer and I got nothing really. And that's why I managed to ask you guys as you are experienced with these stuff. So if you can send me a link for that info so I can inform my friends too with that info, I'll be so grateful :)

And thanks a lot guys for your time :)

asaid

Jul 21, 2015
Thanks camelspyyder for uploading the image. My car has only 2 buttons under the AC which are the center lock and rear glass heaters. So I don't have ESP/ESC

asaid

Jul 21, 2015
I'd like to share my car's image but I can't because I'm not allowed to post any URL here :(

asaid

Jul 21, 2015
guys, any source/link of the info that MJ has sent which is "It's esp on vw group cars and if you you don't have esp then you don't have ebd" ?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.