2007 Leon Fr [170] DPF problems after injector replacement

dreamonn

I received the letter from Seat regarding the injector recall just before Xmas & booked my car in at Seat Menston (Leeds) where the work was done on Wednesday 9/1/13.

I picked the car up & they said the injectors had been replaced & a software update applied, & apart from my car idling a little noisily (which they said could be down to the age/mileage of the car 2007/58k) they gave it a clean bill of health.

On the way home (~15mile journey, mix of A/B roads) the car seemed no different power wise, but showed an amazing increase in mpg. I've driven the same journey to/from work for the last 3 years & it normally shows ~40-42mpg by the time I reach home - on that first night it hit 60mpg at one point & finished at 56mpg!! On the drive in to work the following day it finished at 52mpg .

That night (Thursday 10/01/13), I was driving across Leeds & the DPF light came on :( After a bit of Googling, it sounded like it just needed a regen (no limp mode, just DPF light & message at start up) so on Friday morning I set off for a drive down the M1 @70 in 5th. I got as far as Wakefield & the light went out so I turned round at the next junction & came back to Leeds again @70 in 5th to try to clean the filter up as much as possible. One thing that stuck in my mind was that whilst the DPF light was on, the power delivery of the car seemed amazing - it had never been the most spritely of FR's infact a rolling road session 18months ago had shown it down on the book figures. When the PDF light was on it seemed to rev & pull through the mid range really strongly.

Over the next couple days, the fuel economy seemed average again 38-42mpg & the power seemed flat again. I thought I heard the occasional regen (idling @1k & a fluttery noise occasionally off throttle) & then on Monday night (14/1/13), the DPF light came on again. Another run down the M1, & at the same junction, the light went out. Weirdly, it seemed again that when the DPF light was on the fuel economy & power delivery were amazing.

Over the next few days, the fuel economy was back in the early 40mpg & the power delivery was flat again, & I definitely heard & felt the DPF regen cycle. Thurday night (17/01/13) I was driving across Leeds & the DPF light came on again. I called Seat Menston & spoke to the service department & I explained that after the recall work that was done last week, my car wasn't running properly & they said they would be happy to look at it, but if it turned out to be anything other than the work they had just done, there would be an £81 +VAT charge for the diagnostics.

I said I would rather take it to my independent to have it scanned (I had a really bad experience with this dealer over a warranty claim & vowed I would never put any more business there way). So this morning 19/1/13 it was scanned & the only thing that the mechanic commented on was that the EGR gasses where reading @330mg when the diagnostics computer said it should be 280mg (the units are from memory so could be wrong but the numbers are what he told me) & said it may be the EGR valve sticking.

So, the question is:
Has anyone else experienced similar issues after an injector replacement?
If so, what was the cause & should it be the dealers responsibility to repair it?
If it isn't related to the injector replacement, could it be a blocked/sticking EGR valve?
If it is the EGR valve, what is the best option in terms of repair, replace or delete?

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

steroidchris

Feb 14, 2011
Brierley Hill
There's quite a few people that have had dpf issues after injector recalls. My dpf light came on (only once though) after the recall and the regens went crazy, nearly doing it all the time. The dpf has been taken out now.
I don't know the reasoning for why it happens.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

dreamonn

Cheers Chris

I'm looking to change cars in the next few months so I don't really want to put too much $$$ into solving this. What sort of money did you pay for your DPF delete?

Is a forced regen worth a try?

Eamonn

steroidchris

Feb 14, 2011
Brierley Hill
£650 for the dpf delete. A forced regen is only used for cars that have gone into limp mode and can't regenerate on its own.
If you're getting rid soon then I'd just put up with it till then.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

big rich

VAG techie
Apr 22, 2011
south yorkshire
Hi mate, its quite common from experience cars having DPF issues after injector changes due to raw fuel dropping into the cylinders when the injectors are removed and then it get pushed into the DPF when cranking, usually 1 re-gen and all is well. sounds like something more is amiss with yours, a stuck EGR valve can cause blockage of the DPF so can a faulty DPF sensor, if you want a pro to look at it for you give me a PM.

Peter 87

Aug 23, 2011
This happened to mine after injectors and loom were changed had dpf delete over a year ago never had a problem since..

djh1976rangers

contact seat uk and tell them whats happened, i had a different issue last year after my injectors were replaced under recall and my my local seat dealer(dobies) who had carried out the work had the same attitude.good luck

dreamonn

I've just emailed Seat UK - I'm not holding my breath but we'll see.

Was your problem favorably resolved in the end djh1976rangers?

I found buying my Leon one of the least painful car buying experiences I'd ever had, but dealing with the service department was a nightmare. So much so that I promised the service manager that I would never spend a penny of my own money there ever again.

Last edited by a moderator:

djh1976rangers

seat uk were really helpfull, try phoning them up tho, they told my seat dealership to carry out whatever work needed doing to find the problem and seat would cover the cost, i gave up with dobies seat tho as after having left it with them for two days so they could look at the car between jobs as it was a starting problem they still couldnt figure out what was causing the starting issues. i ended up taking it to a back street garage and after telling them the symtoms and plugging in their diagnostic machine they immediately said it was the cam position sensor, they fitted a new one, job sorted.

leonfrtfsi

Get yourself to fr&rtuning in bradford, they removed my mates dpf for £350.

Benzy

Jan 30, 2010
Go to a recommended company like $hark, darkside or p-torque. U will pay more but won't get the problems after like u will with other company's

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

leonfrtfsi

No point getting ripped off if the work is guaranteed. Just speaking fromy personal experience with fr&r and cant fault them

dreamonn

A faulty DPF Differential Pressure Sensor has been diagnosed.

If any one in the South/West Yorks area is in need of a diagnostic session, I can highly recommend a visit to Big Rich.

Fawzia55

Jul 9, 2015
I received the letter from Seat regarding the injector recall just before Xmas & booked my car in at Seat Menston (Leeds) where the work was done on Wednesday 9/1/13.

I picked the car up & they said the injectors had been replaced & a software update applied, & apart from my car idling a little noisily (which they said could be down to the age/mileage of the car 2007/58k) they gave it a clean bill of health.

On the way home (~15mile journey, mix of A/B roads) the car seemed no different power wise, but showed an amazing increase in mpg. I've driven the same journey to/from work for the last 3 years & it normally shows ~40-42mpg by the time I reach home - on that first night it hit 60mpg at one point & finished at 56mpg!! On the drive in to work the following day it finished at 52mpg .

That night (Thursday 10/01/13), I was driving across Leeds & the DPF light came on :( After a bit of Googling, it sounded like it just needed a regen (no limp mode, just DPF light & message at start up) so on Friday morning I set off for a drive down the M1 @70 in 5th. I got as far as Wakefield & the light went out so I turned round at the next junction & came back to Leeds again @70 in 5th to try to clean the filter up as much as possible. One thing that stuck in my mind was that whilst the DPF light was on, the power delivery of the car seemed amazing - it had never been the most spritely of FR's infact a rolling road session 18months ago had shown it down on the book figures. When the PDF light was on it seemed to rev & pull through the mid range really strongly.

Over the next couple days, the fuel economy seemed average again 38-42mpg & the power seemed flat again. I thought I heard the occasional regen (idling @1k & a fluttery noise occasionally off throttle) & then on Monday night (14/1/13), the DPF light came on again. Another run down the M1, & at the same junction, the light went out. Weirdly, it seemed again that when the DPF light was on the fuel economy & power delivery were amazing.

Over the next few days, the fuel economy was back in the early 40mpg & the power delivery was flat again, & I definitely heard & felt the DPF regen cycle. Thurday night (17/01/13) I was driving across Leeds & the DPF light came on again. I called Seat Menston & spoke to the service department & I explained that after the recall work that was done last week, my car wasn't running properly & they said they would be happy to look at it, but if it turned out to be anything other than the work they had just done, there would be an £81 +VAT charge for the diagnostics.

I said I would rather take it to my independent to have it scanned (I had a really bad experience with this dealer over a warranty claim & vowed I would never put any more business there way). So this morning 19/1/13 it was scanned & the only thing that the mechanic commented on was that the EGR gasses where reading @330mg when the diagnostics computer said it should be 280mg (the units are from memory so could be wrong but the numbers are what he told me) & said it may be the EGR valve sticking.

So, the question is:
Has anyone else experienced similar issues after an injector replacement?
If so, what was the cause & should it be the dealers responsibility to repair it?
If it isn't related to the injector replacement, could it be a blocked/sticking EGR valve?
If it is the EGR valve, what is the best option in terms of repair, replace or delete?

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

hey i recentleyhad my injectors done under the recall, have to say never had such bad service ever. I would never go back to a seat dealer, i also used menston.

I have the same issue. Before my light came on once maybe every 2 months or just less. Ive had the car back 3 weeks and its been on 3times. Seems as though its once a week.
There is a weird noise too sounds like my pulley. Since i got it back my traction light is on which they said to me too that if its their fault they will fix if not i would have to pay the charge.
Not happy at all with them.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.