Oops lost the car key

Kernow

Jul 13, 2015
:blink: Walking the dog along the Cornish coast. I think it jumped out of my pocket when I was taking off my jumper but not sure....oops!

Is it easy to get hold of a replacement, I'll ring the dealer tomorrow but has anyone had a replacement and know of the cost?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
:blink: Walking the dog along the Cornish coast. I think it jumped out of my pocket when I was taking off my jumper but not sure....oops!

Is it easy to get hold of a replacement, I'll ring the dealer tomorrow but has anyone had a replacement and know of the cost?

Easy enough through a Stealer

Not so cheap though - last price I saw was around £180 supplied & coded.

Cuprarob112

Dec 6, 2008
Hope is isn't a regular location you walk your dog since the finder now is able to drive off with your car
(salt water wil solve this problem in no time).

Last edited:

Kernow

Jul 13, 2015
Thanks for the above chaps. The likely hood of it being found is very small, again with a potential finder knowing which car it opens too I'm not too worried.

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
when you take the new key to be programmed it will remove the programming in the old key rendering it useless anyway.

Kernow

Jul 13, 2015
when you take the new key to be programmed it will remove the programming in the old key rendering it useless anyway.

Do they put a new code in the spare key also to make render the other original (lost one) useless?

Just popped down its £150 for key + £75 programming plus VAT - ouch ...payday will be boring this month ha.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Do they put a new code in the spare key also to make render the other original (lost one) useless?

Just popped down its £150 for key + £75 programming plus VAT - ouch ...payday will be boring this month ha.

£270 for a key is taking the p*ss big style.

Try David at SERE motors - he may be able to do a better price on the key.
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=249

Last edited:

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
Isn't programming the key just putting it in the ignition and turning it in a specific sequence. They certainly don't hook it up to a computer and type in 0s & 1s!

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
They certainly don't hook it up to a computer and type in 0s & 1s!

They do now.

Stealers no longer get to see key codes.
The process is designed to prevent fraud.

Working key put in to ignition
Car plugged in to diagnostic machine.
Diagnostic machine contacts VW central database
Inserted key is checked with database
Key is removed
New key is put in to ignition
Diagnostic machine tells ecu it can use that key
All other keys are deleted from the memory except the ones used in this process.

In fact it is good practice to test your spare key after a service - if it doesn't work someone may have made a key to operate your car.

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014

you need to bring all the keys you have for the car when you get it programmed any you don't bring will no longer work on the vehicle.
The keys are pretty expensive not much to be done there but £75+ the vat to program is to much we charge £49.99 Dont think it's right to charge any more.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.