Picking alloys is more difficult than I thought... how wide?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I've got the standard 18" alloys on my FR+ and I want to change them. I've found a few online that I like the look of... they say they will fit a Mk2 Fr+ but I have the choice of 7.5", 8.0" or 8.5" wide... trouble is, my tyres are fairly new, so I'd want them refitted. So therefore I guess I have to go for the original wheel width in the new ones? But I have no idea what that is. Can I just measure across the tyre tread?

Last edited:

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
As above, standard are 7.5"
Max width I would go is the 8" rim when using a 225 tyre, after that they look too stretched

guari

Nov 17, 2014
I think you have to ask the shop about the offset, I think that's critical to get a correct fitment.

I would call them and ask

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Take one of your wheels off & on the back of one of the spokes will be some markings.....For example....my 17 inch alloys have:

7.0J X 17H2 ET54

1st number is the width
2nd number is rim diameter
ET number is the offset

Yours may say 7.0 or 7.5J, so make sure you match

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Worst pic ever, but I couldn't wait... I'll add it to my ride thread when I've give the car a clean! I'm particularly happy with the muddy puddle at the front I'm in!

hspmiM4.jpg

Next to sort those mirrors out!!!

Last edited:

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Not my cup of tea, but as long as your happy. I think the silver centre caps stand out too much.

I was planning on changing the centre caps for the black Seat ones... but on inspection, they are a different type. However, the centre bit is actually covered with a silver sticker! So I may just get the black seat stickers off ebay and swap em!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Well the center logo is just a sticker. I now need to figure out how to remove the sicker without damaging the plastic and replace it with a black n red seat logo. Which I dunno how long it will last in the weather and washing.

But they sell the outer silver ring in carbon on eBay. But the screws are plastic and when I try to remove em it just eats the thread. So I may see what it's like with the sticker first.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Right... center sticker done... used a wallpaper scraper, some citrus cleaner and boiling water:

yUflDDj.jpg

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise