How to get more traction !!!

Matthewsarg

Aug 18, 2014
Well went to look at a Cupra r today, the first thing I noticed on the test drive was the lack of traction just kept spinning up, was completely bone stock, and I'm just wondering what upgrades can be made to improve the traction issues I know being fwd will always struggle a little , but needless to say I did not buy this one but that was due to not bein as "immaculate" as claimed but on onward and upward I will be a seat owner soon but it has to be the perfect one !
Ha
Sorry to blab but all comments welcome

Thanks

Matt

mattyholmz89

Feb 8, 2011
Huddersfield
Depends what rubber is on mate got mine 3 maybe 4 months ago and it had a set of Bridgestone that were bordering bald and they spun like no tomorrow I wasnt able to accelerate in 1st or 2nd in the dry and in the wet spinning in 4th... put nice goodyear eagle f1 on and it only spins in wet now and only idiots hammer it in the wet so it doesn't spin ;) also all 4 should be the same so it doesn't cause dodgy handling or such I read that different types of tyre can cause them to behave strange or some such...

Anyway sorry for the lengthy paragraph but yeah... mines standard also and no issue getting power down in any gear with my eagle f1 seem to be wearing ok also 3 or 4 month old and maybe got half on fronts left and 3/4 on back!!!

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The right tyres are the most important items in getting good traction. The LCR has a lot of torque from quite low down and will always need careful managing to get a good getaway. Mashing the foot to the floor is a big test of the whole setup.

That said, other than tyres, if the dampers are worn then they could be part of the problem too.

Matthewsarg

Aug 18, 2014
Well I'm still on the hunt for a nice mk1 lcr in black , all the ones I've seen have not been up to scratch and the others that people are selling are asking way to much

Matthewsarg

Aug 18, 2014
I've only seen one truly worth 5k that had like 40k on the clock the rest of the dreamers asking 5k are like 95k with part service history and a few niggles and the good ones I've seen online are like 300 miles away from me here in Devon

tipping44

Tipping44
Jul 30, 2014
telford
Agree with all the above, Tires make such a difference in getting the full potential out of your car ,I payed exactly 5k for my LCR mate! Worth the extra money to get a mint one :D

Last edited:

andycupra

status subject to change
was this in 1st and second gear only? this is simply more power than grip.
ultimately grip is simply tyre against road surface - so tyres is the answer.
was the car remapped? if so it may have a too aggressive delivery.

was the ESP turned off?

I presume it was definately grip and not a slipping clutch.

limited slip differential is a good upgrade but not cheap and also doesnt increase any grip just how its distributed.

Burnzybubbles

Jul 8, 2015
was this in 1st and second gear only? this is simply more power than grip.
ultimately grip is simply tyre against road surface - so tyres is the answer.
was the car remapped? if so it may have a too aggressive delivery.

was the ESP turned off?

I presume it was definately grip and not a slipping clutch.

limited slip differential is a good upgrade but not cheap and also doesnt increase any grip just how its distributed.

I'd disagree regarding the grip due to the fact if the LSD is quick enough then once the one wheel starts spinning it puts the power into the other wheel dragging the car along much better, an open diff will just continue to put power into the one wheel meaning it's useless, you are infact using two wheels to put power down instead of one, obviously just sitting on the loud pedal making the wheels spin is useless regardless of LSD or not but, used right the LSD will improve traction in all circumstances.

The whole point I got rid of my e39 is because it didn't have an LSD and was utterly pants if you broke grip or really threw it onto a corner taking the weight of one rear tyre and trying to put power down just resulted in it making smoke on the inside with TC off

bennybam

Apr 17, 2014
What pressure do people recommend for off the line traction on 2wd Ibiza for say 1/4 mile Sprint??

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

bennybam

Apr 17, 2014
Sounds good will give it a go next time thanks also have a Quaiffe I just need to fit so fingers crossed that's gonna help also

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Richard123

Rickys LCR 225
Feb 4, 2013
Ayrshire,Scotland
Well went to look at a Cupra r today, the first thing I noticed on the test drive was the lack of traction just kept spinning up, was completely bone stock, and I'm just wondering what upgrades can be made to improve the traction issues I know being fwd will always struggle a little , but needless to say I did not buy this one but that was due to not bein as "immaculate" as claimed but on onward and upward I will be a seat owner soon but it has to be the perfect one !
Ha

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt ,

Ive just pt 235 40 R18s on the front Uniroyal rain sport 3s and I would say its helped a little with traction .
Im unshure how much tho as my goodyear E F1s were down to 1.6mm and spinning easily in the wet with around half throttle.
Pretty impressed with the Uniroyals so far ,Ive had GE F1s , Michelin ps3s and pirellis before RS3s all are good tyres in my opinion.

andycupra

status subject to change
Ha

Thanks

Matt

are you still looking?

if so have you driven many LCRs? were they the same?

Fidge

SEAT Enthusiast!
Sep 9, 2004
Southampton UK
Deffo tyres and updated dogbone mount eg power flex, much less wheel hop! Goodyear eagle f1s excellent grip but they don't last long I switched to Falken 452s now 453s which are still great grip bit cheaper and longer lasting

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.