Moving filter away from engine.

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
Hello all......
i have bought a length of ally and silicone pipe in order to get my cone filter as far away from the engine as possible before i fit a heat shield.The filter is currently clamped to the end of the MAF housing of course. I am wondering whether to put the extending bits between the MAF and filter or between the TIP and the other end of the MAF, or whether it matters....

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
The MAF ideally needs a constant flow over its sensor, with the filter directly connected to it the air flow is less settled and more turbulant. Having pipework either side smooths the flow. Also having the filter connected directly makes it hard to secure the maf and vibration will kill these sensors prematurely. :)

leegreenaway

Sep 1, 2013
Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales
Hello all......i have bought a length of ally and silicone pipe in order to get my cone filter as far away from the engine as possible before i fit a heat shield.The filter is currently clamped to the end of the MAF housing of course. I am wondering whether to put the extending bits between the MAF and filter or between the TIP and the other end of the MAF, or whether it matters....

I had to opt for the extended connection between TIP and MAF to get connected up to my heatshield

GWNDOJ2.jpg
v2YeVKb.jpg

The MAF ideally needs a constant flow over its sensor, with the filter directly connected to it the air flow is less settled and more turbulant. Having pipework either side smooths the flow. Also having the filter connected directly makes it hard to secure the maf and vibration will kill these sensors prematurely. :)

Looks like I'll need to get a some spare sensors just in case :yes:

ben450

Feb 17, 2012
London
Easier said than done, there is hardly any play in the oversize TIP hence the current setup. I need to strip the SAI and Combi valve off and hopefully it'll give me more room to maneuver it properly into place.

I have got oversize tip on mine mate and it sweet. Wonder if its down to the shape of the heatshield?

ben450

Feb 17, 2012
London
Actually get some more 70 or 80mm tubing and an alloy joiner and connect it like mine mate that's what I done.

ben450

Feb 17, 2012
London
Oh that must be why didn't realise there that different in layout. Ritchie made mine aswell well pleased with it.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.