Sump threads stripped, what are my best options?

Malice19

.:Cupra 4 The Win:.
Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
So my Sump threads are stripped, :cry:as the dam bolt just keep spinning round and round so its leaking oil. :( what are my best options to get it repaired? :confused:

• Is it worth getting it helicoiled?

• Getting it re-tapped and using a larger sump plug?

• How hard is it to DIY replace the sump on mk1 LC

Thanks for your time.

Burnzybubbles

Jul 8, 2015
As far as I'm aware and from spending the last few weekends underneath the car, the sump is just unbolt and bolt back on, you'd probably need to take it off to re tap or helecoil anyway, you need some proper sump gasket stuff and whilst your there either replace or clean the pickup, might be worth running engine flush through the motor before dropping the oil and then doing the work cos you'll stop any future sludge issues if you service it correctly from then onwards :)

Last edited:

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
As far as I'm aware and from spending the last few weekends underneath the car, the sump is just unbolt and bolt back on, you'd probably need to take it off to re tap or helecoil anyway, you need some proper sump gasket stuff and whilst your there either replace or clean the pickup, might be worth running engine flush through the motor before dropping the oil and then doing the work cos you'll stop any future sludge issues if you service it correctly from then onwards :)

Thanks for the quick reply, found a workshop guide that looks pretty straight forward, ;)
http://workshop-manuals.com/seat/leon-mk1/power_unit/4_cylinder_tdi_engine_(1.9l_engine_mechanics)/engine_lubrication/cooling_system_components_removing_and_installing./

Replacement sump is about £60 from Euro car parts so wondering if i should just replace it? As could do the cheaper option, well i say cheaper and helicoil it but will it fix the problem permanently or is it just a temp fix?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
In some ways, helicoil is better as the threads will never shear after that. But more important is to torque the sump plug to the right setting (30 Nm), and always use a new plug and washer when changing the oil as the old one gets hardened by the temperature cycling. I bet that's where most sump thread failures come from, re-using the old washer and tightening the plug up to try to stop the inevitable leak.

Richard123

Rickys LCR 225
Feb 4, 2013
Ayrshire,Scotland
So my Sump threads are stripped, :cry:as the dam bolt just keep spinning round and round so its leaking oil. :( what are my best options to get it repaired? :confused:

• Is it worth getting it helicoiled?

• Getting it re-tapped and using a larger sump plug?

• How hard is it to DIY replace the sump on mk1 LC

Thanks for your time.

Personally I would get a new or (second hand sump ) but thats prob just my OCD.
Helicoils would be fine ,but you will prob need to remove sump anyway .
Its a good excuse to remove and clean oil pick up pipe while you have sump off the car as they can clog up and cause low oil pressure.

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
Am thinking if they need to take off the sump anyway to helicoil then might as well just get a new sump after paying for labour charge. Need to phone around to see how much a new sump will cost by local garage or find a really good guide/video of how to do it myself.

Last edited:

Richard123

Rickys LCR 225
Feb 4, 2013
Ayrshire,Scotland
Am thinking if they need to take off the sump anyway to helicoil then might as well just get a new sump after paying for labour charge. Need to phone around to see how much a new sump will cost by local garage or find a really good guide/video of how to do it myself.

Ive removed the sump twice on my leon cupra r , didnt need a guide as its not that difficult really.

Most of the bolts are visible and easy to reach ,I think there is one or two that arent great to access. I think I used an extension with a knuckle .

Clean sump and and bottom of the block of old sealer,and remove and clean oil pick up while youre in there then re-fit.

I would say it about an hours work ,maybe little longer first time you do it.

If you can service your car ,change pads and discs etc I would say go for it and save yourself an hours labour at £40+.

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
Ive removed the sump twice on my leon cupra r , didnt need a guide as its not that difficult really.

Most of the bolts are visible and easy to reach ,I think there is one or two that arent great to access. I think I used an extension with a knuckle .

Clean sump and and bottom of the block of old sealer,and remove and clean oil pick up while youre in there then re-fit.

I would say it about an hours work ,maybe little longer first time you do it.

If you can service your car ,change pads and discs etc I would say go for it and save yourself an hours labour at £40+.

Might just do it myself then :p but this after i have purchased the correct tools... aka torque wrench :rolleyes:

Is this the correct sump i need?
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/116vg0270

What's the name of the liquid gasket used to apply when installing new sump and where is best place to buy it (how much does it normally cost?)

Cheers

Burnzybubbles

Jul 8, 2015
It really is as easy as said, and like mentioned the gasket surfaces have to be spotless for the best seal, the sealant will be just a ordinary sump sealer like this http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=181794042906&globalID=EBAY-GB

Also not 100% but I thought thee was a revised oil pickup for the 1.8t, the flush is also a good idea if your taking the sump off, as it'll remove all the crud that is probably stuck in the engine and clean out the oil galleries and cam gear, as your taking the sump off you can clean any debris that gets dislodged :)

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
Got a mate who has offered to help me re-tap it, but have also herd that the sump bolt is not very long so not all the thread will have been stripped. So advised i could try same size but a longer bolt to fix the problem??

Has anyone tried this?

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Use some Plummers tape for round the sump bolt mate 50p that will sort you out till you have the money to get it properly fixed.

Last edited:

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
Use some Plummers tape for round the sump bolt mate 50p that will sort you out till you have the money to get it properly fixed.

Was thinking of using some PTFE tape but looking for a permanent fix but cheaper the better of course ;)
If a longer bolt works then its cheaper than getting a new sump :funk:

Burnzybubbles

Jul 8, 2015
You could just get a sump bolt that is the next thread size up and drill and tap the existing sump, you'd still have to take the sump off though, I doubt the longer bolt would work as the sump isn't that thick even at the bolt, being cast is also be nice and gentle with tapping it.

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
You could just get a sump bolt that is the next thread size up and drill and tap the existing sump, you'd still have to take the sump off though, I doubt the longer bolt would work as the sump isn't that thick even at the bolt, being cast is also be nice and gentle with tapping it.

OK cheers, planning to try tap it at the weekend, but should be able to do it with the sump on? Just takes longer as just doing 2 turns then take it out, clear the swarf that has picked up from the grease i will have on the end of the tap tool. Will also flush it out multiple times with the old oil to make sure i get it all out.

Last edited:

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
Happy Days, one less problem to sort :p Tapped and now using a larger sump bolt. Does make me feel a bit nauseous that im using peugeot part on my car though (larger sump drain plug :p)

mike1981

Aug 6, 2015
Helicoils are great, used one on my impreza timing belt tensioner (striped thread from block, drove it for a few years, no problem, till i wrote the car off

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise