Needing Opions

ajanja

Jan 16, 2015
Guernsey / Channel Islands
Hi all,

I'm going complete budget at the moment due to the lack of working hours.. I don't want to encourage hate / people saying I have no clue on what I'm doing. But I need a few questions answering as honest as possible. I'm not a mechanic, and know nothing about cars, but have learnt in little ways, like installing cold air intakes, bulb and lighting and vinyl wraps for interiors.

I have a 1.2 Seat Ibiza MK4 2002, that has done around 67k miles. Black / Sticker bombed interior (By me!)

My budget "ricer" questions now start:

1) The stock steelies that I have on the car at the moment. Is it possible to get smaller tires, not stretched, but smaller tires to make the wheels look smaller? I can get the tire sizes I have at the moment tomorrow morning, but they look so bulky on the car.

2) I am thinking of refurbishing my stock steelies into a gloss black wheel. is it worth it? Using correct "budget" methods like prepping (Sanding down, primer, paint) and not going flat out using sand blasting stuff. I thought that this would look alright if I was to get smaller tires.

3) I am currently looking for (and saving) for some hole knew suspension/coil over packs. I'm also getting another set of stock ones for parts as well. I know cutting stock springs can end up in the car breaking quite rapidly, but for a little fun, should I cut the springs that I have in it already? if they don't work/fail/or make my car a pogo stick, I will be able to change it back into the stock ones.

4) Wheel spacers, I know that slammed cars and big J wheels need these sometimes to stop the alloy from damaging things, and also to get a better all round look of the car, would this look any good on stock steelies as well?

5) HID kits, now I do have another friend that has HIDs, but where would I need to start on looking for a correct fitting kit, I know that they are not bulbs that you cant just "replace" but these type need external power also. is there pre made kits just for seat cars? or a kit that fits an Ibiza?

6) I currently think my car is a "6l"? and has most granny type front and back bumpers. I like the back more then the front, but my front hasn't got any fog lights, or no honey comb effect. I've seen the bumpers on most reader riders, saying they got them from eBay and picked them up. unfortunaly I live in the Channel Islands, and have no Seat dealers or brakers near me. Is there anywhere else I can try pick one up with?

7) paint job around the whole car is ware and tare. There are a few deep scratches, and light ones. I've tried to use T-Cut to remove some, and using wax to try "fill the gaps" is there anything else I can try?

8)LED/SMD mods, Inside the car and outside, I like white rather then yellow. I've replaced my back tail number plate lights with some Fizzmo 36mm SMD lights, but want to replace the top interior light. It looks to be a 46mm festoon bulb, but I cant find a 46mm Festoon SMD replace to replace it. help?

I think that's about it, again, I want to highlight that I have some but also no idea on what I'm looking for and doing. Some of these questions are also written up because I've been told by friends "That would look good".

I'm not one of those people that spend more then the cars worth on mods, I got the beeza for £500

Cheers if you did make it reading all of this, and I would appreciate help and answers from everyone!

-Will Dodd

DanSummerfield

Mar 1, 2015
Derby
For the HID's make sure you get the slim canbus ones as otherwise there a right pain to slot back if you are putting them into the headlight housing.
I got mine from HIDS4U, ebay ones are dodgy as they often arent the 'r' type and its easy to get pulled.

I wouldnt cut your springs, it rarely ends well, all it takes is it to be slightly off and the ride is had it. plus its an MOT failure

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
don't want to pour cold water on this but especially if things are tight just concentrate on making sure everything works well and is reliable and enjoy what you have (lot of fun to be had with old motors) not only are you chucking money at it the insurance will want a cut as well, it may not be so great when you've finished, you may as well save up for the next one, when you hopefully can afford a newer and more promising base to start on, also the insurers won't want an arm and a leg, hear endeth the lesson from 50 years of experience (mistakes)

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
I wouldn't bother doing anything with the wheels tbh, it's always going to look **** so it might as well be cheap and ****.

Arkaig

Mar 1, 2014
Fife, Scotland
flickr.com
To be honest I think if you enjoy working on the car and you like the end result, then that's all there is to it, whether it's a £500 Ibiza or a Maserati. You'll pick up knowledge along the way and then when you get a better car then you've already got the skills.

For what it's worth I've been considering buying an old car and learning some better skills doing jobs that I wouldn't do on my daily driver. It's the fun and skills you get from doing it that matters more than what anyone else thinks, because you'll never please everyone. Have a look at RetroRides for some good craic on things like cheap, old cars and working on steelies and bodge fixes.

1) The stock steelies that I have on the car at the moment. Is it possible to get smaller tires, not stretched, but smaller tires to make the wheels look smaller? I can get the tire sizes I have at the moment tomorrow morning, but they look so bulky on the car.

Yes but your speedo might be off a bit. Dunno if the wheel circumference can be changed using VCDS?

2) I am thinking of refurbishing my stock steelies into a gloss black wheel. is it worth it? Using correct "budget" methods like prepping (Sanding down, primer, paint) and not going flat out using sand blasting stuff. I thought that this would look alright if I was to get smaller tires.

If I was stuck with steelies I'd paint them, they look **** rusty. Get a decent sander and good quality pads though, doing it manually shreds your hands and takes forever. Prep is everything.

3) I am currently looking for (and saving) for some hole knew suspension/coil over packs. I'm also getting another set of stock ones for parts as well. I know cutting stock springs can end up in the car breaking quite rapidly, but for a little fun, should I cut the springs that I have in it already? if they don't work/fail/or make my car a pogo stick, I will be able to change it back into the stock ones.

On a budget, I'd go for a) lowering springs and b) refreshing all the suspension bushes with either uprated standards or polybushes. By now the ones on your car will be like butter. I'd follow that up with a full 4 wheel alignment and decent tyres. It sounds boring, but this is the cheapest and most reliable way to get your car to handle and look better.

Another decent, cheap and easy mod is a rear ARB.

Don't cut your springs, the handling will be pants and you'll fail the next MOT. Decent coilies that improve handling without giving a rubbish ride will cost you ££. Don't skimp on shitty cheap ebay ones just to lower the car. Coilies aren't an instant fix.

4) Wheel spacers, I know that slammed cars and big J wheels need these sometimes to stop the alloy from damaging things, and also to get a better all round look of the car, would this look any good on stock steelies as well?

I always thought the 6L had far too narrow a track, especially at the rear. Spacers will improve the look and the handling.

5) HID kits, now I do have another friend that has HIDs, but where would I need to start on looking for a correct fitting kit, I know that they are not bulbs that you cant just "replace" but these type need external power also. is there pre made kits just for seat cars? or a kit that fits an Ibiza?

Be careful as HIDs can be chavvy and blind/annoy others - make sure you get them adjusted properly. If you're looking for a white light you can get decent bulbs nowadays. You said you wanted cheap :)

6) I currently think my car is a "6l"? and has most granny type front and back bumpers. I like the back more then the front, but my front hasn't got any fog lights, or no honey comb effect. I've seen the bumpers on most reader riders, saying they got them from eBay and picked them up. unfortunaly I live in the Channel Islands, and have no Seat dealers or brakers near me. Is there anywhere else I can try pick one up with?

6L covers the 2002-2008 line yep.

Honeycomb 'whiskers' look excellent and you can pick them up for much cheapness from SERE motors - check the SERE forum on here. The cupra or facelift front and rear bumpers can be got on ebay - the cupra ones are saught after and will cost a few quid so I'd aim for an FR/Facelift one. And you'll need to strip, prime and paint them.

7) paint job around the whole car is ware and tare. There are a few deep scratches, and light ones. I've tried to use T-Cut to remove some, and using wax to try "fill the gaps" is there anything else I can try?

http://www.chipex.co.uk/ gets good reviews

Some of these questions are also written up because I've been told by friends "That would look good".

You should go with what you think looks good, because it's your car, time, effort and dough.

Don't forget to price up any mods with your insurer - sometimes the premium hike costs more than the mod.

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Wow where to start.

You say that you are not experienced at working on your car but you want to cut down the springs, PLEASE don't. Springs are rated for a reason. You would be better with a cheap set of Apex lowered springs. However if you have never removed a spring before and do not own good compressors than its prob best to have the work done.

As others have said any mods will hike the insurance despite not adding value or performance.

TBH I would referb the wheels and spend the money on servicing the car with new filters etc to make sure the engine is working as best it can.

Another worthwhile thing is to remove the foam triangles from the front wings before they rot out on you. I have a video guide for that if you interested.

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
well best of luck whatever, good that you're keen to learn and I would love to help if we were closer, remember the price of tools and that more are needed now than ever before, torx bits etc descent tools will last years and never lose money (unlike cars)

DonCarlos

El Salvador Pimp Daddy
Jul 31, 2015
On the Farm
I wouldn't bother doing anything with the wheels tbh, it's always going to look **** so it might as well be cheap and ****.

Do my stock Ecomotive 14" steelies look ****?

cleaned%20car%20002_zpshlxaslez.jpg

How the car looked last week with the original stock low drag ecomotive trims on (one was missing from the other side, and upon close up inspection they were badly kerbed, marked, scored and ill fitting.

whitehaven%20red%20car%20017_zpsxd7v46kj.jpg

From my personal experience this week - I cannot agree with you. There are things you can do to the stock steelies to enhance them. But I agree that if 'you' are ****, then the results will be ****. But a little bit of time, dedication, patience, resilience, imagination and you can achieve some decent results instead of spending hundreds of pounds on alloys.

If you are enhancing the car on a budget or simply want to stick with the smaller wheels for the better economy (fuel/tyres) and to stay stock for insurance - then there's always a way.

Time spent - 2.5 hours over 2 days.

Total cost - £34.00

Wheel trims - £30

4 cans of 'poundland' £1 paint, Automotive Matt Black. £4.

Elbow grease - by way of bacon and egg sarnies and tea.

Scrape of any flaking rust with a scraper or flat bladed screw driver, Steel brush the wheels, then wash them, dry them thoroughly, leave in sun to dry. Mask of the tyres (but don't worry too much, a length of blue roll and some cellulose thinners will clean any over spray off - not that it's that noticeable anyway.)

Spray the wheels, 1 can will do 2 wheels, so 2 cans for the first coat. Wait 40 minutes. Apply second coat.

Dependant on the condition of the surface of the wheels, a decent quality spray gloss black might look good. I thought mine looked quite good just painted black, although the surface of the back wheels where quite heavily corroded so not very smooth.

Fit wheel trims of your choice. Have a look on ebay. There's some decent trims for £30 delivered or thereabouts.

I found one of the wheel trims was a little loose fitting, so I decided to drill a small hole on the inside of the trims and tie wrapped them to the wheels - using 2 tie wraps per wheel, hiding the ties - as you can see they look quite good.

Of course no-one will think they're alloys and that's not the purpose. The purpose is to do the best you can with what you have got.

I expect the rust to come back through the cheap paint over the Winter.

No problem. At £1 a can I can afford to do it again.

I expect the wheel trims will get scuffed, perhaps discoloured - I might lose one of them.

No problem. At £30 a go for a full set it's cheaper than repairing 1 alloy wheel.

FR_MATT

Jun 2, 2010
Steelies can look "interesting" with a bit of "creative flair" I did this to mine once upon a time:
20130105154106e.jpg

This was using the cheapest spray paint from eBay

Then I got more civilized and brush painted them hammered Hammerite Grey:
s61i.jpg

I'd try to pick up some cheap used coilovers instead of cutting springs, ones from a Polo 9n/ 9n3 or Fabia Mk1 fit as well if you keep an eye out for those to. Should be able to get some budgets that are £200 new for under £100 with year or less use.

These have 195/45 tyres on which are a little narrower than then usually come with that does help remove the balloon look a little

Edit: they also have 20mm spacers at the rear to fill the arches a bit better, especially need after I widened the arches for my summer wheels

Last edited:

ajanja

Jan 16, 2015
To be honest I think if you enjoy working on the car and you like the end result, then that's all there is to it, whether it's a £500 Ibiza or a Maserati. You'll pick up knowledge along the way and then when you get a better car then you've already got the skills.

For what it's worth I've been considering buying an old car and learning some better skills doing jobs that I wouldn't do on my daily driver. It's the fun and skills you get from doing it... (ect)

Thank you so much for your time to reply :)

When saying that it's all about how i like it, i decided to spice up the interior a little. Loads of people hate it, but to me it looks awesome. vinyl wrap the inside:

The wrap:
ONixbCP.jpg

Drivers Side:
tv7NAOJ.jpg

Drivers handle:
4Mq7eQW.jpg

Top Light:
O6MmIdY.jpg

Passenger Side:
vpN5D1S.jpg

Centre:
lQ5k1C8.jpg

Boot Caps:
jmXrijS.jpg

Gear stick:
4qgE2UH.jpg

Last edited:

ajanja

Jan 16, 2015
Steelies can look "interesting" with a bit of "creative flair" I did this to mine once upon a time:
20130105154106e.jpg

This was using the cheapest spray paint from eBay

Then I got more civilized and brush painted them hammered Hammerite Grey:
s61i.jpg

I'd try to pick up some cheap used coilovers instead of cutting springs, ones from a Polo 9n/ 9n3 or Fabia Mk1 fit as well if you keep an eye out for those to. Should be able to get some budgets that are £200 new for under £100 with year or less use.

These have 195/45 tyres on which are a little narrower than then usually come with that does help remove the balloon look a little

Edit: they also have 20mm spacers at the rear to fill the arches a bit better, especially need after I widened the arches for my summer wheels

Those look great in grey, are those the stock beeza steelies? mine have holes in where the stock caps are "fitted"

ajanja

Jan 16, 2015
Wow where to start.

You say that you are not experienced at working on your car but you want to cut down the springs, PLEASE don't. Springs are rated for a reason. You would be better with a cheap set of Apex lowered springs. However if you have never removed a spring before and do not own good compressors than its prob best to have the work done... (ect)

Thank you for your response, these triangles will be removed tomorrow!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members