2004 Ibiza 1.9 tdi sport 5dr 6speed

TheMilkman

Aug 17, 2015
The BIG End, South Wales
I recently bought my wife a new car after nearly 17 years of running around in her little clio 1.4 rt.

I need a bit of advice on finding info on exactly what spec and engine it has.

Sticker in boot says its a 6L1 536 / IBIZA SE240 / SPORTL21.9TD966G

Paint code: ASZ FJW
Options: LS5S DW

Seat dealer can't find it, and insurance companies return results as a 2003 Ibiza fr 130pd.

Its a 5 door, 6 speed manual, heated but not electrically folding wing mirrors, standard alana cd player, no changer. No cruise control. Dark midnight blue, and some shocking 15" black alloys. I also noticed today the dail surrounds have been painted black. I popped out the volt meter trim and its yellow underneath.. a closer look shows they are all yellow, and not painted well at all.

I did my car tweaks 20 years ago with a 200sx. But I want to do something cheap and cheerful to the Ibiza.. universal back box to distinguish it from the other tractors in the street, larger wheels, eyelids, etc. Nothing too mad, but suggestions are welcome, and I invite anyone with a similar car to post their pics please.

Where do I find out more about the engine?

[edit] I'll post pics tomorrow.

Thanks in advance,

- James

Last edited:

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
It's an ASZ PD130 engine

FJW is the gearbox code
LS5S is paint code (Azul blue)
DW not sure.

Sounds exactly like my old car! Cracking little motors.

Last edited:

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
Would have been on 205,45,16's originally Sounds like when you've cut thro the boy racer stuff there is some potential for at least a spritely and economical car what,s the mileage?

Arkaig

Mar 1, 2014
Fife, Scotland
flickr.com
Congrats. I am looking into finding a cheap PD130 up here but they're only found near hen's molars and pig's feathers.

Stuff I'd do:

Remove the foam triangles from the wings as a matter of urgency. (Rust!)

Check the front wishbone rear bushes and replace them with either cupra versions or polybushes.

Honeycomb front upper grilles.

Rear ARB.

Colour code the side strips.

Lowering springs - Ibizas sit like tractors!

If I had a few extra quid I'd try to get cupra/facelift front and rear bumpers.

Finish it off with a remap and you have a good looking, well handling, economical and fast motor.

Last edited:

TheMilkman

Aug 17, 2015
The BIG End, South Wales
It's an ASZ PD130 engine

FJW is the gearbox code
LS5S is paint code (Azul blue)
DW not sure.

Sounds exactly like my old car! Cracking little motors.
Many thanks, that helps a hell of a lot :)

Would have been on 205,45,16's originally Sounds like when you've cut thro the boy racer stuff there is some potential for at least a spritely and economical car what,s the mileage?
120k iirc.. yeah, 16's would look so much better. And its really the wrong colour for black wheels, imo.

Congrats. I am looking into finding a cheap PD130 up here but they're only found near hen's molars and pig's feathers.

Stuff I'd do:

Remove the foam triangles from the wings as a matter of urgency. (Rust!)

Check the front wishbone rear bushes and replace them with either cupra versions or polybushes.

Honeycomb front upper grilles.

Rear ARB.

Colour code the side strips.

Lowering springs - Ibizas sit like tractors!

If I had a few extra quid I'd try to get cupra/facelift front and rear bumpers.

Finish it off with a remap and you have a good looking, well handling, economical and fast motor.

Foam triangles... I'll look in to that!

Bushes have recently been done, but next time I will replace them with the cupra bushes. Cheers.

The grilles are a must.. Already on the hunt for something a little cheaper than fleabay prices.

Rear ARB? No idea what that is tbh :blink: [edit] anti roll bar you tit. Lol.

Colour coding the door strips.. yeah, was going to ask about that.. are they stuck on or pop release? Would love to do the door handles aswell, but it looks more complex.

As for lowering, I'm not sure yet. I'll see when it has 16's on there. I live in Wales and the roads are bad, covered in speed bumps, etc. I'll see though.

The facelift is out of my budget, although I would love to do it... If I can find a breakers with a colour match, I might think about it!

Remap? What's involved? And how much? Please don't tell me those chips on fleabay actually work! lol.

Thanks all for your feedback, means a great deal. Will try to get pics up later...

- James

Last edited:

TheMilkman

Aug 17, 2015
The BIG End, South Wales
Check all the boost hoses for leaks, they love to blow apart at the joins.

More good advice, many thanks.

The PD130, is that the 96kw engine? Just looking through the handbook and the previous owner has put an asterix next to 96kw and the type of synthetic oil to use.

Can anyone tell me if fleabay item number 151760387462 or 181812584484 will fit without too much headwork or welding? Or can someone recommend an alternative that bolts straight on?

Eyelids and window tint ordered. Going to try smoking the headlights too (what is it with big-ass ugly headlights these days?).. Thinking of a lower splitter too...

TheMilkman

Aug 17, 2015
The BIG End, South Wales
Bought a nice set of TT wheels today, but with 205/55/16 tyres there was far too much rubbing on the front inner arches. Gutted, but will look for a pair of 205/45/16s for the front asap. Tractor stance.

TheMilkman

Aug 17, 2015
The BIG End, South Wales
Guys, bought a new pair of 205/45/16s for the front, no rubbing... left the 205/55/16s on the rear as there is room and the tyres are new.. however, I'm now getting Traction Control kicking in whatever the speed or revs in second and 3rd gear, and no power. Its ok in first, unless I give it some welly.. What's happened? TIA

Last edited:

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
The abs is sensing that the front wheels are turning quicker than the rears and thinks it's wheelspinning - due to the difference in the rolling circumference of your front and rear tyres.

TheMilkman

Aug 17, 2015
The BIG End, South Wales
The abs is sensing that the front wheels are turning quicker than the rears and thinks it's wheelspinning - due to the difference in the rolling circumference of your front and rear tyres.

Thank you! I thought it might have something to do with it as there's a good 40mm difference. 15's will go back on and two new 205/45/16s will be ordered for Wednesday.

Cheers bud!

TheMilkman

Aug 17, 2015
The BIG End, South Wales
Had a read through the manual too, and it says if running different size tyres or the space saver, turn the tcs off until new tyres are fitted. My button clicks, but nothing happens. No relay sounds from behind the dash, just the click of the switch. Manual says to press briefly to turn off... err, ok, tried with ignition on, engine on, ignition off but key still in, and with key out. Nothing seems to work. Tried holding it down for a few seconds, still nothing. Any advice?

big_wig_074

Sep 29, 2014
tcs button can be switched on or off at any time just by pressing the button, even while driving, I had the different sized tyres issue for a while and could press it on the go. you should get a yellow light on the dash when you press the button. check the relays and fuses for the first point of call.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Might want to stick VCDS on it and check there's no fault codes in the TCS module.

You didn't buy either of those back boxes did you?
Universal stuff is usually a properly **** fit.

TheMilkman

Aug 17, 2015
The BIG End, South Wales
The tcs wont turn off, and the seat dealer wants 80 bucks just to plug her in. A new button is £30, but yeah, until I know its not worth it. Going to see a mate later who has a vag-com so will hopefully see. New tyres should be here today at some point too. And nope, I didn't bother with any of the back boxes. Will probably just run a straight pipe eventually, removing the suitcase altogether.

Cheers guys, means a great deal to have such knowledgeable folk who are happy to help :)

TheMilkman

Aug 17, 2015
The BIG End, South Wales
Just to confirm, new tyres of 205/45/16s all round and the problem has gone away. So many thanks again, BJM!

The inability to turn the TCS off still persists however. Vag-com software is xp only, and my mate only has an an old version not compatible with the new beta software, so I may pick one up off amazon asap.

Again, many thanks to all. I'd be lost without you :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members