MK2 Pre-Facelift battle: FR TDI vs CUPRA

xander13

Aug 26, 2015
Hello guys,

I'm now driving a Leon 1m 1.6 and i'm planning to get one of the cars in the title and i'm a bit confused that i might choose wrong..
What i do know so far:

FR TDI:
+cheaper to buy
+lower consumption
-most of them have higher mileages than Cupras
-prone to diesel specific problems(injectors fail, turbo, etc), none of them being cheap

Cupra
+stronger
+tfsi more reliable?(if correctly explored)
+better for short urban trips
-more expensive to buy
-higher fuel consumption

I only do like 8-10.000 km per year maximum(optimistic) and i'm used to about 10-11L/100km with the current car.

Thank you!

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
Cupra: Worth more in the long run, 300 bhp/300 lbs/ft with a stage 1 map. Fuel consumption isn't as bad as you might think either, 30+ mpg is easily achieved (8.8 L/100km)

lsg60

Mar 31, 2014
worth more' the only petrol Leon what will be worth more than a diesel FR will be K1 cupra R diesels always hold there value more

Yeah I'm not so sure on that. Mine still goes for around 12k an fr same age and millage is less than 10...

G4reth

FR PD170
Dec 4, 2011
Middlesbrough
If you're only doing 8k miles a year I'd go for a cupra. A diesel won't be as economical doing that little mileage. I do 20k a year and running costs for my FR TDI are not as cheap as I thought compared to my old 172.

Last edited:

xander13

Aug 26, 2015
I have read about the standard tfsi problems and they seem to be less expensive than diesel injectors.
Also, I can't imagine how it is like to be in a situation where an PPD 170 injector fails.(far away from a city or overtaking).. That's why I thought that a tfsi is more reliable(I might still be wrong, though).
Where I live, Romania, a Cupra is and will always be more expensive than a Fr TDI, no matter if they are facelift or not. Only a facelift FR can be more expensive than a standard pre-facelift Cupra.
Also, I have specified that I run 8-10k km so that would be max 6k miles per year. (usually a tank per month just for in-city driving..without vacation trips.)
About servicing costs, I guess they are pretty much the same..
About modifications: I would keep the FR with a remap and dpf delete and the cupra with little mods too(intake, exhaust, remap).
So are there any bigger advantages of the FR TDI over the Cupra that I can't seem to notice?
Thank you!

Trimis de pe al meu GT-I9300 folosind Tapatalk

has22fas

Jul 7, 2014
I'm not so familiar with Kilometers, but 8000 km equates to about 5000 miles a year and at that mileage it would be silly to choose a FR over a Cupra. The FR is a great car no doubt but I have found the turbos to be a weak spot for them once remapped to 210-220bhp they tend to let go. The Cupra however would be a lot more powerful once remapped and the reliability would be above the FR in my opinion, the PD170 has be known for DPF problems, Injector problems, Chocolate Turbos and engine stuttering and if your using the vehicle for short trips then diesel is not the way. Besides the Cupra has everything the FR has plus better seats,wheels and Noise!.

Paddy

Devil's advocate!
Jun 30, 2014
Glasgow
Wow calm down chap and chapettes, just thought that was the case, always thought they held the value abit better

I'm calm mate. Just telling you that you're wrong. Next time add 'I think' before what you say and there won't be any confusion.

Also when looking in eBay I looked at a few and when I bought mine and the FR diesel seemed to be a little more than the tfsi, like you say I'll put it across a little better next time' just browsing when I'm busy with work etc it always ends up a rushed reply to be honest.

xander13

Aug 26, 2015
Btw, does anybody know if Cupra 1p has rear multi-link suspension or just the semi-independent(torsion bar)?
Thx