1.9tdi catastrophe.

2 car dad

Feb 21, 2012
Another planet
Ok, history ,-I have a 2003 1.9 tdi sport with a revo remap to 170bhp, with 127000 miles on it.
It had a turbo whistle for about 10 months. THEN.....
Yesterday I was over taking someone in 3rd gear missed the change to 4th but still floored the pedal, the engine hit the limiter and revved hard after I'd taken my foot of the pedal. After there was no boost at all. (I assumed a boost pipe had blown off) I drove for about 10 miles like this and the turbo was making louder whistles than normal. Stopped for about an hour but could not see any pipes off. Here comes the catastrophe, ... After only about 2 miles there was CLOUDS of smoke from the exhaust and uneven revving, I stopped and switched the engine off, oil was dripping from the exhaust and there was smoke from the oil filler. There was no engine light on ever.
So, oh wise people, is it terminal or fixable (£700).
All knowledge greatfully received.
Nic.

britishsligean

Dec 23, 2014
Ireland
Sounds like a blown turbo, my dad had his turbo blow in his 1.9tdi altea, it can be a pricey fix dependent on where you go, it may be worth your while to fit an uprated turbo because of the remap

titanium4d

Apr 26, 2013
wales
should i ?

the same thing happened to my cupra Ibiza , I got a replacement turbo from turbo developments ,. do you think I should take the sump off incase and fragments have gone into the sump through the oil drain ? the cold side grenaded its self :cry: and I found a chunk of the blade in the oil drainpipe from the turbo.
thanks for any input in advance .

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Yea for sure, take the oil pan off, fully clean it out, check for any swarf and stuff around the oil pump pickup, clean that out if you can. Whip the filter off

Stick it all back together with fresh oil and hope for the best.

Might be worth getting a magnetic sump plug to try and catch any bits, although if the bearing material wasn't magnetic it won't do much.

titanium4d

Apr 26, 2013
wales
all done now :)

so I fitted the new turbo cleaned out all the boost pipes and intercooler , it was a good job I did take the sump off as there were lots of bits in there and a few on the oil pick up , I used IPA99.9% from ebay to clean it all out and it worked really well , the instant gasket seems to have done a good job too, but then for £16 it should ! I think ill do around 100 miles then change the oil and filter again just for peace of mind (I normally change it every 6000 along with the air filter and fuel filter) oh and ive taken a large drift and smashed the cat completely out of its casing ! haha took a while but was soaked in oil so a good job I did that too ,. looking forward to driving her again as she has sat for almost a year ! well once she's mot'd and the turbo and new brakes are run in ill drive her [B)]

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.