DSG for Cupra or not?

honziss

Aug 3, 2015
Prague / CZ
Hi. I have cupra on order and I'm getting unsure about dsg option. Question: how does dsg behave in manual mode, if I'm about 3000rpm if i'll floor the gas pedal, but do not reach kickdown switch (hope it's there). DSG downshifts or holds the selected gear?

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Depends what gear you are in, if you are in 5th-6th it will downshift and accelerate.

If you are in 3rd it will hold 3rd and accelerate.

honziss

Aug 3, 2015
Prague / CZ
My current car has ZF8 transmission, if i do so what i mentioned, it always holds the actual gear, to me it's logical if in manual mode. Minus point for DSG.

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
In manual the DSG will hold the gear untill you flick it up or down. Only if you hit the red line it will go up a gear.

So say im in Manual and im in 4th, if I plant my foot it will stay in 4th. Flick the paddle it will of course go to 3rd if I wish. In drive/sport if you plant your foot it will kick down.

The DSG is a wise choice which does take getting used to, but once you have its truly superb.

Last edited:

twitchynik

Sep 12, 2006
Not tried forcing the issue with a kick down in manual mode. Have gone down to 4th from 6th (both Cupra and 184) in auto.

Will give this a try tonight. Would expect it to hold gear. Have had it shift up when red lined in manual.

twitchynik

Sep 12, 2006
Cruising at 60 in 6th, manual mode at around 2300rpm.

Fully depressed the accelerator and dropped down to 3rd.

Purch123

May 6, 2014
Kick down in my car is activated if you floor the throttle in any gear in any mode. Manual isn't really manual.
If that's the case, that sucks! I'd expect it to hold gears until you change hence selecting manual mode in the first place.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
When in manual at full throttle (not applying the kickdown for that you have to push the throttle through a very noticable hurdle) it will stay in the gear it is in.
In D or S it will (without applying the kickdown) always go back at least 1 gear.
But a DSG will ALWAYS be faster accelerating because it shifts seamless without loosing torque.
From standstill or whatever speed it will always be faster than a manual box.
Next to that do 10 accelerations to 60 Mph with a manual and you get 10 different times due to the fact you are unable to replicate a ideal acceleration.
With a DSG you will have 10 times the same results because it is so fast in gear change and never makes a mistake.

honziss

Aug 3, 2015
Prague / CZ
Thanks for sharing experiances everybody. I decided for another test drive at dealer to get real experience whether i like it or not.

Nov 28, 2006
Thanks for sharing experiances everybody. I decided for another test drive at dealer to get real experience whether i like it or not.

I was totally convinced I wanted a manual but I'm so pleased a got the DSG. It really does give the car a split personality being easy to drive when taking it easy and an animal when you want it.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members