Squeak squeak squeak :(

Arkaig

Mar 1, 2014
Fife, Scotland
flickr.com
Hi Guys,

I'm getting an annoying squeak at low RPM, when changing gears, or coming on/off the throttle. It happens when I'm in the car myself so it's not my other half :D

I'm also feeling that the power isn't coming on smoothly at motorway speeds. When on/off the throttle I get a bit of hesitation and vibration.

If I grab the engine cover and shake hard I can hear a squeak coming from underneath the battery on the RHS, facing to back of car. It looks like there's some kind of mount here, does anyone know if a tired engine mount would squeak, and if so, what part do I need to replace?

It's a 56 plate 1.4 Sport

Cheers! [B)]

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
The gearbox mount is directly under the battery tray. I could squeak if the rubber parts are rubbing together try spraying a small amount of WD40 into the rubber parts and see if it continues to squeak.

Arkaig

Mar 1, 2014
Fife, Scotland
flickr.com
So, that has certainly addressd the squeaking.

I notice your build thread where you pack the mount with PU, how has this worked out for you in the long run and is it worth a go?

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
With the 1.4 then that will work well for you, but the amount of torque from the Diesel engine still causes movement but not excessively.

It's certainly cheaper than a new mount (£60)

Arkaig

Mar 1, 2014
Fife, Scotland
flickr.com
Can you share which tube of sealant you used and where you bought it from?

I took it apart and the stock mount actually looks OK, not sheared or anything. Probably just a bit tired. I'm too cheap to replace it just yet. Fingers crossed it looks like there's plenty of room to do this in situ.

<Edit.. cancel that.. I just found your build thread.. off to do some shopping!>

Last edited:

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
I would do it off the car for ease but you could do it fitted if you take everything off around.

You'll need to clean up the mount as well to ensure the Sikaflex sticks properly.

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
I m getting squeaks (and maybe clonks :confused: ) from my 1.9 tdi. Just ordered some silicon lube spray and going to give all the mounts a blasting.

Think its because the weather is drying out from all that bloody salt on the road.

Risto

Jan 27, 2015
West Midlands
Krussel - squeeks and clonks are familiar here, it's the lower arm bushes on mine which have seen their day, on 130k with an aggressive map it doesn't surprise me - I have new one piece ones to stick in when I get chance so i'm hoping they make for a surer drive.

Do you find it clonks when you change gear?

I tend to drive around it changing gear as smooth as possible - however if changing a bit sharp it clonks, usually 1st to 2nd.

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Krussel - squeeks and clonks are familiar here, it's the lower arm bushes on mine which have seen their day, on 130k with an aggressive map it doesn't surprise me - I have new one piece ones to stick in when I get chance so i'm hoping they make for a surer drive.

Do you find it clonks when you change gear?

I tend to drive around it changing gear as smooth as possible - however if changing a bit sharp it clonks, usually 1st to 2nd.

No its just loudly groaning when I coming off and on the gas at low speed. I am now quite sure its the back bushes which have dried out. Its got far worse this week. My silicone spray is dispatched and when it arrives I will underneath at the bushes.

I still may have a clonk but cannot hear it over the groan now.

Don't you love MK4's :whistle::D

Arkaig

Mar 1, 2014
Fife, Scotland
flickr.com
I just WD40'd them, probably not wise, but it got me through the winter and I'm going to replace them.

Funny you bring this up, mine just started squeaking again yesterday now the temperature has dropped.

Chino_UK

Team Creatine
Jul 19, 2009
Cheadle, Cheshire
I just WD40'd them, probably not wise, but it got me through the winter and I'm going to replace them.

Funny you bring this up, mine just started squeaking again yesterday now the temperature has dropped.

I've ordered in a load of silicone lubricant. Mine are nearly all polybushed which are known for getting creaky once weather drops a bit and the initial grease has been used up, so going to get under it next weekend and give it all a going over and inspect in case any look shot. Car feels fine so suspect it's just creaky.

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Yeah I am waiting for my rear subframe bushes to start once the salt hits the road. Mines been a lot quitter in general since I put cupra bushes in the lower wishbones.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.