DSG for Cupra or not?

RpR

Sep 24, 2008
Denmark
I got me a DSG, haven't regretted it yet! You really get used to the ease it's bobbing about in traffic.
As mentioned earlier, it's a bit of a split personality if you flick it from comfort into cupra. I like Cupra with the shifter in manual when going for a joyride :)
Anyone else noted the manual operation differs a lot, depending on wether you have it in D or S mode, before jamming the lever into manual?

Last edited:

StylancePaul

CUPRA Owner
May 31, 2006
Cambridge, UK
My biggest regret when I bought my FR TDI 150 Mk3 was not getting a DSG, I don't think I would have replaced the car if it had have been a DSG, so I guess its a blessing in disguise as I ended up with a Cupra in the end.

MK_FR

May 20, 2007
Finland
Clutch in my BRZ is killing my calf in heavy traffic so ordered a DSG.. first automatic ever but of course I have tried a few before.

Last edited:

honziss

Aug 3, 2015
Prague / CZ
Finaly tested cupra with dsg today and i'm happy with what i found:

Dsg in S mode, with manual gear selection: holds the selected gear in whole throtle pedal range, up to kickdown switch ( it's there, easy to notice)

Dsg in D mode, with manual gear selection: same as above

Dsg in D mode, with automatic gear selection: downshift by itself

So, everything ok for me, i stay with dsg on order.

honziss

Aug 3, 2015
Prague / CZ

Dsg in S mode, with manual gear selection: holds the selected gear in whole throtle pedal range, up to kickdown switch ( it's there, easy to notice)

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
'Kick down' is very noticeable with DSG, floor the pedal and then press harder and you will feel the 'click'.

Nov 28, 2006

In manual it really doesn't matter if it was in S or D before you moved the lever over. In the owners manual it shows the dash with an M but I don't see that in my car. If you're in manual and slow the car down to almost a stop it will change down automatically to prevent it stalling and you have to be going really slowly before it will let you change down into first using the paddles.

RpR

Sep 24, 2008
Denmark
In manual it really doesn't matter if it was in S or D before you moved the lever over.
It does: The idle is higher, ride stiffens up. That's all part of "S mode", also if you stick it into manual afterwards. Try some vigorous cornering or a brisk ride over cobblestones, you should be able to feel quite a difference :p

Nov 28, 2006
It does: The idle is higher, ride stiffens up. That's all part of "S mode", also if you stick it into manual afterwards. Try some vigorous cornering or a brisk ride over cobblestones, you should be able to feel quite a difference :p

You're talking about D and S on the gearbox and not the drive profile right? The D and the S only refer to the gearbox and have nothing to do with the suspension at all. That's totally in dependent.

The idle is higher in both S and M though.

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Sorry for the confusion but does the dsg mode also alter the driver modes? The 'cobblestone' comment is confusing to me?

twitchynik

Sep 12, 2006
Moving the gear shifter left or right only alters the gearbox mode.

Pulling the gear shifter back whilst in D/auto mode will engage a sort of sport mode in that the gear shifts stay automatic but the engine mode is changed.

At least that is what it was like in the DSG 184. Can't say I've tried that in the Cupra.

RpR

Sep 24, 2008
Denmark
You're talking about D and S on the gearbox and not the drive profile right? The D and the S only refer to the gearbox and have nothing to do with the suspension at all. That's totally in dependent.

The idle is higher in both S and M though.
Idle in M is only higher if it's initially in S, in D it'll stick to 750rpm.
Shifts are also less likely to be done by interrupting the ignition (the farting sound when shifting under power) in D.

I can't put nearly the same amount of speed into a corner with it in D, it's soft and understeers considerably compared to S (both shifted into manual afterwards).
My best guess is, S puts the DCC one "notch" in the harder direction, and D one the other direction.
For instance:
Cupra mode, S drive, DCC = Cupra.
Cupra mode, D drive, DCC = Sport.
Normal mode, D drive, DCC = Normal.
Normal mode, S drive, DCC = Sport.

I've got absolutely nothing on this apart from my butt-dyno is telling me though. I'd love to put it around a track and see the difference with seasoned driver though :)