Cupra 290, anyone?

kasperjensen

Apr 6, 2015
Malaga, Spain
Interesting... 300? Is there a reason for this?

Seems silly to say it "only" has 280 if it actually has 300.

Asking because I am interested. Not being a smarty bottom.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
My guess is they couldn't be bothered to de-tune the file that was used on the Golf R and S3 so they just used it.

Cuprarob112

Dec 6, 2008
Guess it's merely a marketing thing if its not yet time for a facelift with substantial changes you come with badge tuning.
It's cheap and it won't hurt sales ( there are always some buyers believing that new is better)
Good thing is that they still get a great car without modifications that don't do the car any good

nf2029

Aug 28, 2015
I have just cancelled the order of my Midnight Black Cupra ST due to the ridiculous lead times of the standard wheels and changed it to a Monsoon Grey with Black Line. It gave me a chance to add other goodies that I changed my mind on as well such as reversing camera and ACC.

When I asked whether it was the 290 version that I would now be receiving I was told the following by my dealer:

"Regards the 290ps, there is no date of when this car is going into production. I have just called SEAT and this is the information they have given me. However, if the cars build week falls into the date change then the car will be automatically upgraded to the 290ps without any additional cost to yourself. So, it would be the 280 that I will have to order as there is no option to build the 290 at this time."

Fingers crossed I get the 290 despite there not being any noticeable difference, but I am sure it will help resale value.

Nov 28, 2006
Interesting... 300? Is there a reason for this?

Seems silly to say it "only" has 280 if it actually has 300.

Asking because I am interested. Not being a smarty bottom.

Better to say that it's got 280 and have more than say it's got 300 and maybe have less? It still lets VW/Audi have the 'better' cars on paper I guess.

Last edited:

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
We've spoken to SEAT and they have confirmed SEAT Spain are looking into making an upgrade available to 280 owners. Nothing firm at the moment, but under serious consideration and would involve the exhaust.

Scott

zondaff

Mar 8, 2015
Surrey
We've spoken to SEAT and they have confirmed SEAT Spain are looking into making an upgrade available to 280 owners. Nothing firm at the moment, but under serious consideration and would involve the exhaust.

Scott

Great to hear! Thanks for going to the effort to finding out, cheers :p

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home

Scott

If there is any truth in the previous posts regarding 300bhp, the 290 "upgrade" should mean a loss of ~10bhp. I'd say that's an upgrade I'd be happy to do without :p

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Forgot to say the upgrade option might include Full Link http://bit.ly/1LZYTrA

Re above - all SEAT cars are known to push out more power than they advertise. Improving the exhaust to a better version that adds more power, won't downgrade what you've got already. :)

Scott

nf2029

Aug 28, 2015
Having just spoken to Seat Customer Services UK about my car due week 46. They say that I will get a 280 as they have no info on the 290. Shame.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Forgot to say the upgrade option might include Full Link http://bit.ly/1LZYTrA

Re above - all SEAT cars are known to push out more power than they advertise. Improving the exhaust to a better version that adds more power, won't downgrade what you've got already. :)

Scott

SEAT are looking at releasing an upgrade for headunit so MY14-15 cars can also get full link, something I desperately want.