coolant cupra 280

tommy918

Mar 4, 2011
North London
has anybody ever had to top up there coolant .i had to top mine up before it was a year old ,just checked and its dropped again to just below the minimum line going to take it the dealers to have it checked.

zondaff

Mar 8, 2015
Surrey
I have topped mine up, although it doesn't drink it. Unlike a Seat Mii I used to own, that went through all the coolant in 3 months, no fault found though so I got out of it.

zondaff

Mar 8, 2015
Surrey
i thought you should rarely have to top up the coolant if at all unless there is a leak somewhere

Well brand new a car may use more and I wouldn't be worried if a little is gone, although if it has hit minimum then yes a visit to the dealer wouldn't harm.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Had to top up a bit after about 8 months, it was still above the min so topped to about 2/3rds and in the last 4 months not changed at all. Never checked the exact level when I collected it so don't know if it had actually fallen much.

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
Coolant loss is typical of these engines Most never notice it as it will be topped up in the course of a service it's never been an issue where it's dropped below the expansion tank but if it's sitting at max at the start of the year chances are it will be on min by the end of the year.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Just check none of the pumps under are leaking... mine was pissing out from underneath

Rydale13

Apr 20, 2014
Yup. Topped my 280 once since new. About 9 months in to ownership.

Nothing alarming but it was hovering just above min. Topped up with about a pint or so of water.

No leaks though. Oil however remains bang on. Owned since new and never needed to top up oil.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Cuprarob112

Dec 6, 2008
Nothing alarming but it was hovering just above min. Topped up with about a pint or so of water.

You know that the pink Vag stuff isn't meant to be mixed with water (and seeing the low price I wouldn't either).

Adding water (de mineralized of distilated, never plain tap water) would be only a temporary solution)

OldManPooley

Jul 9, 2015
You know that the pink Vag stuff isn't meant to be mixed with water (and seeing the low price I wouldn't either).

Adding water (de mineralized of distilated, never plain tap water) would be only a temporary solution)

Of course its meant to be mixed with water! Its not premixed like some coolants

Cuprarob112

Dec 6, 2008
Maybe it's country related
The official stuff i buy displays a tekst that mixing is not nescesary and will have negative influence on the claimed specs
Honda and subaru also sell premixed magbe because demi watar is really hard to obtain

Last edited:

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
I had to top mine up the other day - tbh i thought it was low when I got the car but was within the lines. Got a warning, looked under bonnet, still looked ok but gave it a little top up just to be safe.

OldManPooley

Jul 9, 2015
Maybe it's country related
The official stuff i buy displays a tekst that mixing is not nescesary and will have negative influence on the claimed specs
Honda and subaru also sell premixed magbe because demi watar is really hard to obtain

What country are you in?

chrishale

May 31, 2010
Manchester, UK
I had to top up mine two weeks after my first service. Not sure how the garage didn't notice it was low. But I put my foot down on a dual carriageway and the dashboard light up, going 'ding ding ding'. I pulled over and it was below well below the lower mark (even at 90 degrees).

Bought some G13, from a VW garage I was only half a mile away from when the light popped up.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise