Leon Sport Cross

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
If that was available when I bought my SC, I would have chosen it instead. Taking in mind the low grade roads in my country I really like high clearance cars, that are however not looking like an ugly SUV (such as Juke and the rest), nor like boring estates such as the X-perience. Cross Polo is a good example but is very underpowered and is somehow considered feminine :)

So the cross Leon hits the spot. Although if you ask me now, I'd prefer 5 doors.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
I am very interested in this sort of model, but I am a bit confused where it sits with regard to the proposed new Audi Q3 equivalent, which is supposed to come next year (based on the 20V20 concept SUV).

It certainly looks good, like the 20V20 and the article suggests a 5 door version being available.

Maybe this will become the Q3 equivalent.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
It's not actually plastic, it's a two tone paint job. The powertrain is straight out of a Golf R. You clearly didn't bother to read the article.

Last edited:

Cuprarob112

Dec 6, 2008
Seat does something like this for the Alpine markets/Germany. This summer I drove a tuned and modified X-perience with tdi motor. I liked it (the looks went in the direction of the first pic) but don't know if I would pay the extra price over a stock ST leon.

Last edited:

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
It's not actually plastic, it's a two tone paint job. The powertrain is straight out of a Golf R. You clearly didn't bother to read the article.

You'll actually find its a combination of both, Fred. There's more info out there than just your article. Thanks for the attitude and pointless clarification of where the powertrain comes from. I already knew that, but I'm happy to let you feel superior. You clearly need to...

My, what a warm and bubbly place this forum is. Everyone's allowed an opinion, as long as it's yours...

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Can't help but feel SEAT are testing the waters for two upcoming vehicles here, under the guise of one. Their SUV/Crossover concept and of course a Cupra R, using the SUV body as a mule to disguise the Cupra R's running gear……

trebor

Dec 13, 2014
Worcester
Not for me I'm afraid.
Ugly just like all these cars of similar type ... I just don't get it? From the ones I have been in there is generally no more cabin space than a normal car, sometimes maybe a slightly bigger (deeper) boot but otherwise pointless in my view.
All you are doing to sit a bit higher up is make the vehicle heavier and raise the centre of gravity - neither of which I want personally.

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
Not for me I'm afraid...All you are doing to sit a bit higher up is make the vehicle heavier and raise the centre of gravity - neither of which I want personally.

I'm in agreement. :thumbup:

The crossover/SUV is liked by manufacturers because the margins are greater. It doesn't really offer anything useful over a regular hatchback whilst having a number of significant downsides.
It's a lifestyle :lol: choice (ie style over substance).

Put the drivetrain in the next Cupra. Now that's more like it.

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
I'm in agreement. :thumbup:

The crossover/SUV is liked by manufacturers because the margins are greater. It doesn't really offer anything useful over a regular hatchback whilst having a number of significant downsides.
It's a lifestyle :lol: choice (ie style over substance).

+1. Don't see the point in them. Same as MPV crossovers, such as C-Max. Clever marketing making people feel that they 'need' them.

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
I am not sure why there is so much hate against high clearance cars that are not a true 4x4 or are even 2-wheel drive. There are countries like mine where roads are built cheaply which with the combination of cold snowy winters and hot summers makes a lot of potholes, or uneven roads... On top of that, the gas, water and electricity companies do not plan stuff together and you can see a freshly built road being punched and cut for laying out some pipes and so on. Even the underground parking place in my building is so badly designed that the slope is steep and my FR touches the ground unless I approach it at a specific angle and very slowly... At the end I don't need a 4x4, I just need a car that is a little bit higher above the ground :) I agree in the rest of EU roads are perfect, so they don't need some SUV-s that bring nothing. I guess the need real 4x4-s only in Alpine regions, etc.

Last edited:

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
I would agree with what you say. Here in Spain, the main roads are fabulous - not a pothole in sight, but if you live outside the towns in a "country" property, the chances are that somewhere it will involve driving over a dirt track.

Unless conditions are really bad, a 4 wheel drive system is not really necessary, but decent ground clearance is essential. Where we live, the original access road was a dirt track and even a few large stones washed down onto it gave my Mk1 Leon a problem. I knocked the sump out twice in 5 years. I also have a Mitsubishi 4x4 which coped really well, but I rarely needed to put it in FWD mode. Luckily it is all now properly surfaced.

Under those circumstances a Crossover or SUV has some advantages purely due to the extra ground clearance. Another selling point is for the older owner. Just wait until you get into your 70's and the next big event in your life is a hip replacement of knee transplant - that combined with the inevitable arthritus will make you really appreciate the higher entry point!

On the other hand, I fail to see the attraction of taking a good 4x4 like the BMW X5 and flattening the roof line and calling it an X6 - however they do seem to sell rather a lot!

At least we now have a choice, not just limited to a hatchback, saloon or estate car which was the case not so very long ago.

Major Tom

Jun 6, 2015
I agree with everything CyberGene says about bad roads except for that about the rest of EU roads being so good - they aren't. I'd like high clearance due to the bad roads but don't need 4WD. A BMW X1 with RWD (sDrive) would be a nice choice if it was available with a limited slip diff like Quaife.

JamesA

Sep 28, 2015
I would think a lot of people like me bought a Leon because they don't like crossovers.

Having a high car means people behind you can't see what's going on and are more likely to crash in the back of you.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise