Seeking advice from Exeo owners

kiffa

Aug 6, 2015
Greetings All!

Newbie here, currently seriously contemplating purchasing an Exeo 2.0 TDI Tech and wanted to get a few views from people who have been there and done that.

Firstly, as this is a discontinued model, I wanted to know what difficulties there are in finding spare parts - I know it's Audi based, but are there any parts that are particularly difficult to get hold of, or are exclusive to the Exeo that I should be aware of?

Secondly, I'd love to get a general view from people over the positive and negative sides of the car from on owners perspective.

Any advice/experiences you can share gratefully appreciated

Cheers

Mrski1

May 12, 2008
Aberdeen
I like mine, although it hasn't been entirely fault free since I bought it in January.

The HP fuel pump failed on mine and it took over 3 months to source a new pump (under warranty), it seems the part number had changed for that pump which indicates to me a change in supplier or a modified version of the original pump, if you do a bit of digging it seems that that pump has failed across all VW group cars it is fitted to.

Once changed out though the car has been running fine and I don't have any other complaints, as bathie92 mentions it is a lot of car for the money, comfortable even in sport spec with all the toys you could ever need, maybe other than DAB...

Just get ready to have to explain to everyone what car you have, as no one seems to have heard of the Exeo!

BourneToRide

Oct 6, 2013
If you can get a 143 Sport Tech Ecomatic then you get all the toys for £30 VED !!
You cant beat it for value for money

Balddee2

Oct 10, 2009
Have got a 143 Sport Tech and as has been said you do get a lot for your money. Only minor downsides for me are the brakes on the 143 arent the greatest and the ones on the 170 are better, the front seats arent as firm / 'sporty' as I was expecting and fuel economy isnt as good as you'd expect, though to be fair thats the same with most cars!

damo74

Feb 16, 2013
Best car I've ever owned, and it's for sale if you're interested ☺

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Gizmo98

Jun 19, 2015
There just ok tbh,have mine just a couple of months and getting bored of it already!

Flobadob

Apr 6, 2015
Warwickshire
A great car that I feel proud to own and feel really grown up in it. Audi underpinnings and proven reliability with a little Seat tweaking you cant go wrong. Good Value for money to as a equal A4 of the same age would prob cost +25% more. You also get a lot of looks as people cant work out if its an Audi or Seat. If you can go for the 2012 model or higher with driving lights and Xenons. Extras I saw on other cars were heated and electric seats, but the Sport Tech is already crammed full of toys.

Fuel economy is ok with me and I generally see a return of low 50s but I haven't got a heavy right foot and travel around 25miles a day to work 1/2 motorway, 1/4 A road, 1/4 town. As its a heavy car (lighter than the old A4, due to the CR engine and suspension tweaks etc) but secret is to keep it moving and reduce the stop starting to a min.

If you have kids and are tall like me then their feet may feel a little cramped in the rear. My kids are 12 and 8 and tall so they don't need a booster seat. If my lad was using a booster seat and sat behind me and because of the raised booster seat position I don't think he would get his feet in the gap.

Last edited:

okedave

Jul 14, 2014
I've had mine just over a year now and done 40K (Odomoeter now reads just below 90K) - its been faultless. The only niggle I have with it is the legroom in the back. I did also have a niggle with the RNS-E not doing a full postcode on the satnav, but thats no longer an issue after getting the updated system discs mentioned in another thread. I would say its a brilliant car to have, and as Flobadob says above, you do get a lot of looks. I had one guy get out of his car at a petrol station to fill up, and just stood there staring at my car with a confused look on his face - I drove off chuckling, lol

Last edited:

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
Just on the rear leg room - the 2012 (I'd say facelift but it wasn't, just differnt style headlights, alloys and other minor bits) the rear seats have been tweaked to provide more leg room. They did this by shortening the bottom part of the rear seat.

Doesn't make a huge amount of difference but every little helps!

asonda

Nov 5, 2013
Yes brilliant car, I've sold mine due to saving for a house but by far the best car I've owned and I've owned lots!

I had the facelift and the rear leg room isn't brilliant still but apart from that you can't go wrong, very solid car.

RNS-E is outdated so I wouldn't bother going for one with the iPod connection as it just mimicks a disc changer and doesn't show track name, number or anything, it's practically useless.

However the Sat Nav part of it works very well and I miss it.

When I owned mine, it needed new rear discs and pads, new steering rack, new power steering pump, new throttle body, new electric window mechanism and also the bonnet started rusting so needed a re-spray. Luckily apart from the brakes it was all done under warranty.

Bbeettaa

Feb 20, 2012
I currently drive a 60 plate 143 se tech estate.

Good point - I would say they are good for the money. I previously had a 2012 143 se tech saloon company car, in my opinion, it seemed to me as the was better engine.

Good point - lots of gadgets, nice cruisers and new 7 digit sat nav fix does the job

Negative point - on rear leg room, not ideal for long journeys.

Negative point - My 60 plate doesn't seem to be the most efficient diesel ever, on long journeys I usually hit 46ish mpg being strict (75mph max) Over 75 it seems to fall off the cliff.

Sausageinabun

Jul 5, 2014
Manchester
If mine were that bad on fuel consumption I'd be having it looked at, seriously!

I did notice a significant decrease in consumption after the last service when a fuel system clean was done, whatever that consists of!

Bbeettaa

Feb 20, 2012
If mine were that bad on fuel consumption I'd be having it looked at, seriously!

I did notice a significant decrease in consumption after the last service when a fuel system clean was done, whatever that consists of!

Having looked through the MPG thread, my reported figures look if only slightly less than what others have reported.

Just to confirm, 60 Plate 143 SE Tech (Estate) - 75mph = 45mpg, 75mph+ = 40-45 max. Full tank range, taking it easy, I get around the 650 mark I believe (it's been a while)

richdot

Mar 5, 2015
Having looked through the MPG thread, my reported figures look if only slightly less than what others have reported.

Just to confirm, 60 Plate 143 SE Tech (Estate) - 75mph = 45mpg, 75mph+ = 40-45 max. Full tank range, taking it easy, I get around the 650 mark I believe (it's been a while)

I wouldnt worry, it's an estate heavy front end car... 18 mile round trip to work there and back... mixed roads i only get 40mpg a full tank and I get 545 miles to that....

I use shell v power + diesel ... I have used some different injector cleaner this time round and trip computer says I have done 160ish miles to quater of tank and remaining miles is 470ish and that is taking it steady.

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
I've never found fuel economy to be the best either. My step dad did manage to get 60mpg out of it though, he usually gets 80mpg out of his 1.6 Tdi Audi A1 though.

I don't drive it with economy in mind and open the taps regularly. I think it needs it to keep everything from getting clogged up with soot. We'll see if I get the EGR fault, currently on 24k, 21k of them are mine.

savery

Feb 20, 2015
I have a late 2011 (facelift) 2.0 TDi 170 saloon in Reflex Silver and I love it.

Good points:
- Superb build quality - feels better than my old B7 A4 in many ways
- Toys (perfect bi-xenon headlights, leather all round, nav, bluetooth phone prep, steering controls for audio and phone, TPMS, etc)
- Depreciation from new (££)
- The way it drives and overtakes
- Torque from the 170 engine

Bad points:
- Marmite looks, took me some getting used to and I have the best looking version!
- Outdated tech in the RNS-e as mentioned above - no bluetooth audio
- Ride on 18" wheels is a little firm
- Only does around 42mpg on a mixed commute
- Very little power at the top end (this could be me though as my other car is an EP3 which gets all its power at 6,000rpm)

I have never known a car to be so unheard of - no-one really seems to realise it is based on an A4 and people are normally surprised when they feel the outstanding build quality and see the level of kit. Personally I think it puts the MK2 Leon to shame.

My recommendation is to buy one. I've not had any dealings with dealers yet but I feel very confident that the car and its engine are robust enough to not give me any serious problems - touch wood.

Steve

Last edited:

Mr Bigglesworth

Dec 13, 2008
Herts
I have a late 2011 (facelift) 2.0 TDi 170 saloon in Reflex Silver and I love it.

Good points:
- Superb build quality - feels better than my old B7 A4 in many ways
- Toys (perfect bi-xenon headlights, leather all round, nav, bluetooth phone prep, steering controls for audio and phone, TPMS, etc)
- Depreciation from new (££)
- The way it drives and overtakes
- Torque from the 170 engine

Bad points:
- Marmite looks, took me some getting used to and I have the best looking version!
- Outdated tech in the RNS-e as mentioned above - no bluetooth audio
- Ride on 18" wheels is a little firm
- Only does around 42mpg on a mixed commute
- Very little power at the top end (this could be me though as my other car is an EP3 which gets all its power at 6,000rpm)

I have never known a car to be so unheard of - no-one really seems to realise it is based on an A4 and people are normally surprised when they feel the outstanding build quality and see the level of kit. Personally I think it puts the MK2 Leon to shame.

My recommendation is to buy one. I've not had any dealings with dealers yet but I feel very confident that the car and its engine are robust enough to not give me any serious problems - touch wood.

Steve

Well on your bad points, you could upgrade the RNSe to a decent pioneer for several hundred quid which would likely sort your problems, and a remap box could help with some more power??

Devoured1

Oct 17, 2012
Wirral
I've had my SE Tech ST 143 for 12 months now, I reckon I get mid 50mpg on a run and I'm happy with that. If I had to pick one negative it would be the boot size, to me it seems small considering its quite a big car.

Irksome

Feb 27, 2011
Surprised I'm so late to this thread ...

My 170 ST (with Bluefin) is an awesome car - Only last week I saw off an A6 W12 with diplomatic plates on the A1 and at good speed ... the drivers face was a picture to behold! I had a sleepy wife & 2 kids in the car at that point and a bootload of kid crap - no one complained!

I'm about to put mine on the market, as I've decided to move up to a bigger, heavier, less satisfying car, so I'm about to order a E350 AMG Estate ... its the only car I could find that really was a step up (despite being less 'dynamic' to drive unfortunately).

My Exeo ST 170 PS (195 measured) ST Sport Tech (2011) will therefore shortly be availble with just over 40K on the clock ... offers by PM are welcome.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.