Any problems with Leons?

sebna

Sep 11, 2015
Hi Guys,

I am wondering what are the known weak points of Leon construction. No matter wiper blades or pistons ;)

I read some scary stuff about Golf MK VII and got a bit worried TBH.

People often mention problems with door cards and I noticed them being flimsy on my test drive. They moved when I touched them with my hand and were just loose.

But golfs suffer all kind of problems with suspension, touch screen, engines, plastics you name it you got it ;)

There is one of the many links:

Ok I cannot post links yet...

Cheers

EDIT:

I am mostly asking about 2.0 TDI 184 bhp version when it comes to engines but feel free to off-load here no matter which engine you have :)

Last edited:

pvm1234567890

Mar 10, 2015
Meath, Ireland
I bought a Leon ST FR 184 last April - picked it up April 30th 2015, it went for its 15000km service this week (yes, 15000km in 4.5 months).

I've had no issues with the car whatsoever. Really happy with it. That time interval has also included a family holiday to France, so the car has been tried in all conditions (well, except snow!).

DaFoot

Jun 16, 2014
Sheffield
www.dafoot.co.uk
I've had my 184 fit 12 months... Only real complaint for me is paint quality.

It can be chipped and scratched rather too easily I think.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

pvm1234567890

Mar 10, 2015
Meath, Ireland

Lots of UK guys complaining about the paint quality - I've no stone chips at all, and it's quite easy to keep sparkling?

sebna

Sep 11, 2015
That is good to hear. I am in Dublin. Which dealership you were dealing with? Can you recommend them for some good discounts?

I cannot find a Personal Messages systems in here. Is there one?

Last edited:

pvm1234567890

Mar 10, 2015
Meath, Ireland
I dealt with the dealership in Lucan, not going to name them but you know who they are, on the bypass at the Leixlip turn.

Nothing particular spectacular about them, no discounts offered, and had a problem when they lost the car after it landed in Ireland, that I had to sort out myself with the delivery company!

I only chose them as they are very close to my office and I drive past them every day. I did just go back to them for a service though, which was done in a very professional manner.

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
had my 184 18 months and been delighted.
Had no mechanical issues at all, when in for a service the dealer refitted the door cards with more packing/insulation as it was recommended, and they also stopped the panoramic sunroof blind rattling when fully open.
sheer joy to drive still...you won't regret it!

GTI-Pirelli

May 29, 2015
Allesley
Rear light cracking - My Wife's FR has has the NS replaced. My Cupra 280 needs a new one as well as it is suffering from water ingress.

Squeaks and rattles as mentioned before.

The pistol windscreen washer jets are pants. A few people have replaced them with the fan spray (including me). Not cheap though if they are heated.

My soundaktor (stupid noise pipe/ windscreen vibrator) periodically comes on when disabled in the drive profile menu.

We're generally happy with ours though. :)

sootytorques

Sep 9, 2013
Mines 18 months old, no end of rattles mainly door cards that come and go, mine suffers what I consider to be high oil consumption 6 litres in 16500 miles, my gear lever jumps when selecting reverse, LED headlights produce poor light and don't always self level, noisey brake caliper again, all can wait till first service. Other than that car drives ok but as its the 1.2 with the more basic suspension ride can feel really busy at times, oh dealer service is very poor.

MK_FR

May 20, 2007
Finland
Whole engine of my 184 was replaced under warranty, after 6 months and 16000 kilometers or so.. I was never told what happened. One day I came home from work normally and next morning the car was completely dead. No ignition or anything even the battery was charged. Some kind of "safety mode" I guess.. Otherwise everything was fine before and after that. Now waiting a new Cupra..

MrCh00

Mar 3, 2015
I have to agree about the paint, I have scratches and chipped paint within the 1st month of owing the car. Also would have liked the led lights to be a lot brighter.

Last edited:

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
Mine is coming up for its first service after 2 years. It's only done about 10000 miles, but absolutely no problems at all. No rattles at all.

It has used no oil whatsoever.

Brilliant car with a superb engine.

skk

Jul 14, 2014
25000 km on the clock

So far I have had the following problems.
  • Door cards rattling - solved by the dealer under warranty
  • Problem with bonnet sensor, when closing doors ( error code told that the bonnet is open although it wasn´t) - solved by the dealer, reset to the system, warranty
  • Passenger side window knob broken - solved by the dealer under warranty
  • Had to top up the oil at 12000km mark. No excess usage since then, oil shows near full.
  • Few stonechips here and there but I wouldn't call this an issue.

As you can see these are all minor issues so no need to doubt about the quality. The Mk3 Leon is much more reliable and has a far better build quality than my MK5 Ibiza ( got them both since new )
Seems that the most common problem with Leons are door cards that tend to rattle, but this is a solvable problem that shouldnt cost anything.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2009
norwich

You think Seat chip easy my 2012 SLK only done 14k, chips if you just look at it, never had a car that chipped so much my wifes vw jetta 10k, 1 yes 1 small stone chip. (leon cupra replaced with the SLK).

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.