VW massaging emission figures

Derbian

Aug 12, 2013
Derby
Anybody know if the Diesel engines in the Exeo are likely to be effected . Stories in the papers saying that if cars are called back for reprogramming it will probably reduce power considerably.

T J Hooker

May 25, 2015
I think it's the EA189 2.0 tdi engine only so far.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Irksome

Feb 27, 2011
I don't think this will affect EU motors despite all the press, the way the Euro figures are generated is very different to the US emissions tests.

Mrski1

May 12, 2008
Aberdeen
Gotta admit tho its very clever what they did

Not sure about it being very clever........maybe in a technical sense, but terrible for the reputation and value of the company.

I'm sure someone somewhere in VW were probably looking for loopholes in how to pass the emissions tests, and thought they could get away with this little software trick, I would hate to be the person that signed that off..........

cmgreen

Jan 31, 2006
Oh yeah they in big doggy doo doo, but still clever.
When Steering wheel is straight and engine running for a little while the engine lowers emissions, clever basards!

Turns out now Europe is now affected!

Just got my Exeo and bought on the fact the emissions (tax) were lower than my old car. MMMM do I get my money back ....... NO

It will be us folk who loose out, just like we did with the banks!

Derbian

Aug 12, 2013
Derby
Looking at the various news reports today it looks as if the suspect engine management software was used on a wide range of VW engines even if it wasn't used to get around emissions testing. Have to wait to see if it means a recall/performance change.

XPtuning

Mar 29, 2013
All rules/regulations can be interpreted differently, that is likely the case...all other car manufacturers are very quiete.

richdot

Mar 5, 2015
It's EURO 5 thats effected .. mine is a 2.0 TDI CAGA which is EURO 5 emissions.

Last edited:

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
It's highly likely that our cars will be affected too, as richdot says. We'll just have to wait for the new to leak out!

The EA189 engine was installed in the Exeo and I believe the EA288 that replaced it wasn't in production until after or at least the end of the Exeo's production run.

I would not be surprised if other non VW group manufactures have similar tactics to pass emission tests; cars a built to pass tests (hence why people remap) and it's unlikely VW were unable to produce similar power figures to the others without increasing Nox output.

Derbian

Aug 12, 2013
Derby
Richdot. I have the same engine so probably have the suspect engine management software. What I don't know is whether it was used to falsify the emissions readings.

Does anybody know how the emission figures from the Exeo compare with a Passat of approximately the same power output. If it's approximately the same it would suggest it was used to lower the readings on test.

Also wondering if the ECU has to be reflashed to correct this would it overwrite a remap ?

Derbian

Aug 12, 2013
Derby
BBC News website has just run a story saying Seat admit that some 700000 cars have the suspect software and that there are intending to put out a website so you can check if your car is affected.

richdot

Mar 5, 2015
BBC News website has just run a story saying Seat admit that some 700000 cars have the suspect software and that there are intending to put out a website so you can check if your car is affected.
Of course the Exeo will be effected.... my mum's vw is effected and that's going back she says.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Of course the Exeo will be effected.... my mum's vw is effected and that's going back she says.

Why? The car was supposedly fine until the scandal broke about US cars not meeting US emissions targets. What's happened to change that? UK registered cars don't need to meet the test requirements of California State emissions tests, so it's very likely that any UK car isn't affected by this issue at all, except that it might have software on the ECU which means it could cheat a test it never has to pass.

richdot

Mar 5, 2015
Why? The car was supposedly fine until the scandal broke about US cars not meeting US emissions targets. What's happened to change that? UK registered cars don't need to meet the test requirements of California State emissions tests, so it's very likely that any UK car isn't affected by this issue at all, except that it might have software on the ECU which means it could cheat a test it never has to pass.
Doesn't have to meet that test yet no. I am sure I've read road tax will be higher if found to be a false claim on emissions. Power lose all shorts of things people are also saying at work ...

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Doesn't have to meet that test yet no. I am sure I've read road tax will be higher if found to be a false claim on emissions. Power lose all shorts of things people are also saying at work ...

Don't believe everything people write on the internet, or pub talk. Even VW don't know (or haven't released the info) what the fix is going to be and who's going to be fixed, whether it's going to be voluntary or mandatory, and how much it's going to affect the cars which are fixed.

Until there's a solid path forwards for anyone who might be affected, then the car is just as good as it was a month ago. I even heard of someone in the UK cancelling an order for an Audi S3 (petrol) because of the diesel emissions issue in the USA. There's a band wagon to jump on.

JoeleonFR

Jan 4, 2014
Crewe
I'm at the dealer in Crewe and have access to VWG/Elsa/Intranet and nothings been released in regards to what vehicles are effected so I find it a miracle how everyone can see into the future! :-D

It's going to be a case of sitting tight folks!

Mrski1

May 12, 2008
Aberdeen
Don't believe everything people write on the internet, or pub talk. Even VW don't know (or haven't released the info) what the fix is going to be and who's going to be fixed, whether it's going to be voluntary or mandatory, and how much it's going to affect the cars which are fixed.

Until there's a solid path forwards for anyone who might be affected, then the car is just as good as it was a month ago. I even heard of someone in the UK cancelling an order for an Audi S3 (petrol) because of the diesel emissions issue in the USA. There's a band wagon to jump on.

Nothing like creating a bit of unnecessary panic amongst the public to be able to sell a story! I will admit that it is unbelievable that a company like VW could even think this was a good idea, or that they could get away with it, but at the end of the day if you still like your car in the same way as you did last month then what is the point in chopping the car in on a snap reaction?

I listened to an interview on the radio the other night which suggested that once a fix is applied to a vehicle (if required), then it might use a little more fuel, and emit a little more CO2, but there would be no retrospective or future increases in tax as the consumer was mislead by the manufacturer, and it would be unfair to pass the extra costs on.

Mr Bigglesworth

Dec 13, 2008
Herts
The way I see it is that the main loss (assuming the cars are not reallocated to different CO2 ratings etc which I really can't see happening) is to the government not the consumer.

In terms of the consumer, the only real loss is that the fuel economy is worse than advertised - although this is something that afflicts all cars. But even if you say 15k miles at 60mpg that is around 250 gallons which at around £1.25 a litre is around £1400 per year on fuel - so 10% adverse mpg is around £140 per year to the consumer.

The loss to the government in the lost tax revenues (on company cars and annual car tax). There is possible a separate questions as to if VW have been unjustly enriched by making more car sales than they would have otherwise, but that is another matter.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise