VW TDi Emissions software scandal

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
if it has to be an oap's derv sportswagon then have you looked at the mazda 6? i think it looks quite smart :)

Doesn't have to be an estate, needs a big boot and the ability to carry four adults ( hence the Passat) company appears not to be fussed if diesel or petrol either. Not fussed on mpg for work use, but as we do trips to Southern Spain regularly it is a consideration.
Had a previous model Mazda 6 59 plate and tbh I hated it. I did inherit it with 90k on the clock, but it never felt good to drive. You are right though, the latest model does look good.
Up until the recent issues I'd shortlisted the following - Passat, Superb , Insignia & Mondeo in that order, all 140-150 diesels. Bah.

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
Doesn't have to be an estate, needs a big boot and the ability to carry four adults ( hence the Passat) company appears not to be fussed if diesel or petrol either. Not fussed on mpg for work use, but as we do trips to Southern Spain regularly it is a consideration.
Had a previous model Mazda 6 59 plate and tbh I hated it. I did inherit it with 90k on the clock, but it never felt good to drive. You are right though, the latest model does look good.
Up until the recent issues I'd shortlisted the following - Passat, Superb , Insignia & Mondeo in that order, all 140-150 diesels. Bah.

Superb 280 AWD it is then! Less harmful than a diesel ;)

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Superb 280 AWD it is then! Less harmful than a diesel ;)

I have spotted the one flaw in your otherwise brilliant plan. The cheapest 280 engined Superb is £32085, which is slightly over my p11d allowance of £25800.... as is the 220 sadly..... :cry:

ma9mwah

Aug 13, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if all <Oct 2014 diesel Leon's were affected. I'm 99% sure my March '14 184 will be.

Green Mamba

Feb 22, 2008
Warwickshire
Those that own their car's outright are one thing, I'm quite curious about this is going to affect (if at all) those on CPC paying X amount each month, based on the value of their at the time they started.

I'm going to assume my 63 plate TDI 184 FR is affected.

Toff

Apr 13, 2009
Nottingham
I didn't think any Mk3 Leons had the EA 189 engines.
My 63 plate has an engine code of CKFC which is the EA288 according to wiki

Jimlad86

Mar 30, 2010
Gloucestershire
My 14 plate diesel is currently 99g C02 and therefore free tax. Am i right in thinking this would be unaffected as this whole thing is about NOX levels not CO2?

Last edited:

adriaticman

Jan 13, 2008
essex
Just curious - if you have had such bad experience with VAG products - why do you keep buying them ?

Because of the driving position. A poor seat design of an electric seat in an option pack of a Ford Fiesta in 1997, damaged both of my knees permanently, after 6 months of driving (used to get a Ford employee discount). I now have to choose what I buy very carefully. The Leon + Octavia with dsg for me were spot on, with no issues.

VAG Warranty issues could not be anticipated at the time of purchase. I will not be buying another VAG product again.

Ran Peugeot GTI`s from 1987-90 until quality level dropped. Had a Toyota Corolla GTI from new for 7 years from 1990. Then Toyota stopped making decent cars and I chose a cheaper route for a few years, until I found something that met my requirements. Had a Mercedes A Class semi auto for from 2000 for 2 years. Then 3 Fiats until 2006 (via Employee discount- cheap and cheerful)

Now I have to find another brand that will be suitable and probably add a Recaro drivers seat. Not so easy, as must be auto / petrol or hybrid only. As soon as I drive a manual I get knee pain.

I have had a passion for cars most of my life and was a new car salesman from 18 years of age for nearly 3 years (New VW 1972-74- Beetles / Golf). I changed profession, as I could not work with enough people who treated the customer with respect.

nori

May 10, 2015
Where is everyone getting ckfc? Mine only says CKF 215962 as my engine number, anyone able to tell me what engine i have? Its the 150bhp 2.0 2014 plate if that helps

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
If I have read things correctly - the VAG cars that were launched from 2012 with the MQB platform should have the EA288 motor that was designed to work with the MQB platform.

Those are :
Audi A3 Mk3
Audi TT Mk3
SEAT León Mk3
Škoda Octavia Mk3
Škoda Superb Mk3
Volkswagen Golf Mk7
Volkswagen Golf Sportsvan mpv
Volkswagen Passat Mk8
Volkswagen Tiguan Mk2
Volkswagen Touran Mk3

If that is correct - none of the MK3 Leons should be using the EA189 motor

RedBarchetta

Oct 28, 2014
All these people flapping about engine types etc. What are you going to do if you think yours is one ? ( remembering its actually software that's dodgy, and they've lied before.... ) what can you actually do?
1. Stop driving it. - not much use.
2. Write a letter to Percy Polar bear pleading forgiveness.- pointless.
3. Write letters to all the residents on the East coast whose homes are affected by coastal erosion? - well meaning but equally pointless.
4. Driving round in sack cloth and ashes - uncomfortable but whatever turns you on.
5. Drive round with " I am a dirty b'stard ' emblazoned on your car - may lead to physical violence against self for unspecified reasons.
6. Try to sue VAG - pointless until something concrete is decided.
So basically you can do sweet fa so worrying about it isn't going to change a thing.
Worry about things you can change. Your health . Your diet. Your weight. Your lifestyle.even your gender. :D

As far as understand the diesel cars are still better for the environment in terms of CO2 emissions so Percy Polar and those with houses dipping into the sea are fine, it's more those people who don't like poisonous gases in their lungs who we should be apologising to.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.