android head unit. Whos got?

lsg60

Mar 31, 2014
Has anyone got an Android head unit? I currently have an rns315 which is abut limited imo, been looking at an rns510 but still an Android one looks more capable ? What are they like to live with? Also do they work with the mfd?
Cheers
Lewis

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2015
Edinburgh
I went with the Pumpkin 8inch Android 4.4.4 VAG specific chinese thingy (see amazon.co.uk/Pumpkin-Navigation-Multimedia-Multi-media-Mirror-link/dp/B00RDRVOEE). Still part way through installation, but so far I'm fairly happy - it fits perfectly within the RNS fascia and looks very OEM.

In terms of integration, the steering wheel volume controls work out the box and have a decent level of customisation. I havent tested the bluetooth controls yet. It has its own mic & GPS arials which need to be positioned somewhere - I fed mine through fuse box and onto top of dash, which isn't ideal (I like my dash tidy).

The factory fitted aux input inside my armrest isn't going to work with the new unit, but as I now have bluetooth connectivity, I wont miss the cable spilling out of my armrest.

The MFD info is (mostly) mirrored on the android unit - I see a door open symbol for example - and I should get tyre pressure warnings and other notifications, although I havent witnessed much of this yet. Once my reverse cam is wired I'm expecting the unit to detect reverse gear through the canbus and automatically switch to the camera.

One neat feature is the ODB integration - so you get an app showing you rpm, speed, torque and other stuff in real time. Dunno how useful it is but something to play with I guess.

I havent tested a dvd or cd yet, so not sure what the sound quality is like. Radio is acceptable, although these android units tend not to support dual aerials (mine came with a 2-to-1 adapter) and it isn't DAB.

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
It has its own mic & GPS arials which need to be positioned somewhere - I fed mine through fuse box and onto top of dash, which isn't ideal (I like my dash tidy).

If you remove the glovebox (about 8 screws), there is a recess near the passenger air vent that is ideal for the GPS aerial (no metal and line of sight through the glass) and the mic can be fed around the windscreen seal and placed on the rear view mirror.

lsg60

Mar 31, 2014
Sweet cheers for the write up. I already have blue tooth and GPS, would these just be plug and play?

Last edited:

curryholic

Mar 5, 2009
In zomerzet
Evening all,

Interested in this as I've been looking at a pumpkin HU too. I've going to order the radio later this week.

Quick question - the cabling that comes with the radio is it just a straight plug and play jobby or will I need to add in 12v feeds/swap red/yellow cables? Just wanted to build in time for electrics when I justify the time to the missus!

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dunny

Jul 11, 2015
Derbyshire
Ive been looking at the Pumpkin unit, but what concerns me is the lack of updating regarding the Android version. It'll be on version 6 soon so how long is it going to be before apps stop supporting 4.4.4 i guess thats the risk you take.

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
Realistically though I don't think Android was even on the drawing board the last time anything worthwhile happened with Win CE

streetbeef

Aug 11, 2010
crawley west sussex
I did want an android head unit in my cupra but was put off the idea as people said the user interface was quite slow on most of the units so I went a bit more oe style and bought this instead. it has Bluetooth, gps, sd card slot, pretty much everything I could want and it has been superb. was only £163 from ebay and fits really nicely, has great sound, the gps works as it should, its a great little unit for the money!

Aug 18, 2015
Edinburgh
Sweet cheers for the write up. I already have blue tooth and GPS, would these just be plug and play?

Bluetooth is different - when you scan for devices on your phone you will see the car and the head unit listed. I'm not sure about GPS - if there is a dedicated GPS antenna available at the back of your unit with a thumb screw fitting then it will work, otherwise you will need to fit the arial that comes with the new unit.

Aug 18, 2015
Edinburgh
Evening all,

Interested in this as I've been looking at a pumpkin HU too. I've going to order the radio later this week.

Quick question - the cabling that comes with the radio is it just a straight plug and play jobby or will I need to add in 12v feeds/swap red/yellow cables?

99% is plug and play. The only things Ive found requiring special wiring is the radio aerial adaptor which needs a 12v feed (for in line signal booster I think) and reversing cam (optional).

Last edited:

phil739

Mar 5, 2007
leicester
I went with the Pumpkin 8inch Android 4.4.4 VAG specific chinese thingy (see amazon.co.uk/Pumpkin-Navigation-Multimedia-Multi-media-Mirror-link/dp/B00RDRVOEE). Still part way through installation, but so far I'm fairly happy - it fits perfectly within the RNS fascia and looks very OEM.

In terms of integration, the steering wheel volume controls work out the box and have a decent level of customisation. I havent tested the bluetooth controls yet. It has its own mic & GPS arials which need to be positioned somewhere - I fed mine through fuse box and onto top of dash, which isn't ideal (I like my dash tidy).

The factory fitted aux input inside my armrest isn't going to work with the new unit, but as I now have bluetooth connectivity, I wont miss the cable spilling out of my armrest.

The MFD info is (mostly) mirrored on the android unit - I see a door open symbol for example - and I should get tyre pressure warnings and other notifications, although I havent witnessed much of this yet. Once my reverse cam is wired I'm expecting the unit to detect reverse gear through the canbus and automatically switch to the camera.

One neat feature is the ODB integration - so you get an app showing you rpm, speed, torque and other stuff in real time. Dunno how useful it is but something to play with I guess.

I havent tested a dvd or cd yet, so not sure what the sound quality is like. Radio is acceptable, although these android units tend not to support dual aerials (mine came with a 2-to-1 adapter) and it isn't DAB.

hi
any more feed back o the HU ?
is your car pre facelift if so what did you do regarding the facia

thanks

Aug 18, 2015
Edinburgh
hi
any more feed back o the HU ?
is your car pre facelift if so what did you do regarding the facia

Car is pre-facelift and the official RNS sat nav facia fits most android units perfectly (theres also an official square cornered facia for double din stereo units).

The unit itself is well enough made, although an extremely tight fit, depth wise - it took several attempts to tuck away the cabling sufficiently to get the unit flush. The cabling is all labelled and pretty self explanatory and theres a handy couple of 12v ignition power cables feeding our from the unit to hook up any additional devices you might fancy, amp, reverse cam, etc. The pure android os is fast and Ive not had any hanging using the stock apps - ive not bothered installing much on it yet.

The screen is nice and bright and has something of a tactile touch. My one criticism is that its fairly reflective and, combined with the units low position on the dash, this can make it difficult to see at times, especially when trying to navigate wearing sun glasses!

Bluetooth connectivity works well - I can play music from my (android) phone and start/stop/skip tracks directly from the unit. I can't find a way to change album though without going to the phone. The unit has sync'd all my contacts so I can call directly from it and call quality is decent.

Sound quality in general is fine. I'm running stock speakers and no amp and Ive not noticed any change in quality. Radio reception is slightly weaker, even with supplied signal booster, I guess because it doesn't utilise the dual aerial.

Overall I am delighted with the unit. It looks really pro when fitted and livens up the otherwise dull dashboard. Im using a USB pendrive attached in the glovebox for all my music and the phone connects automatically every time I get in the car.

My biggest criticism so far is that there's no dedicated volume control on the front of the unit. I have to drag down from the top of the screen and press the volume shortcut. Not ideal. Admittedly, I can use the steering wheel controls and will try downloading a volume app from playstore.

Will post pics when I reach 15 posts ;)

Last edited:

phil739

Mar 5, 2007
leicester
any chance of the pics now ..lol
also have you managed to fit reverse cam yet?

am looking at fitting the unit into a pre facelift will i have any canbus issues
or is it just plug it straight in and of you go

sorry for all the questions

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2015
Edinburgh
Pics as promised.

leon1.JPG

leon2.JPG

leon3.JPG

Regarding reverse cam - the camera plugs directly into the head unit so nothing to worry about there. The only challenge is getting power to it, which usually involves either tapping into your reverse light power or using the 12v feed coming out of the back of the head unit.

Probably took about 2 hours in all to get the camera fitted, once I figured out where to wire it. Ive got it feeding into the boot through the air vents situated at the bottom front of the boot (just behind the reg plate).

Last edited:

leon.il

Dec 28, 2013
Currently i have Leon Cupra 2011 , with android unit,its connected to android PC, that can work in 2 modes , 1.android 2.original mode. And its do work with mfd

curryholic

Mar 5, 2009
In zomerzet
Anyone sorted the aerial to get decent reception?

Plugged mine in, connected the blue ant lead to the amp on the connector and I get pretty decent reception on local stations but national ones are really hit and miss!

The head unit came with an iso to double fakra connector but as mine is a pre-FL and single fakra so I swapped it out.

Cheers,
D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members