Diesel Engine Emissions Cheating

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
CEGA for me too, I wonder whether I read off the VIN correctly, it was dark and raining but I reckoned that if I input an invalid one it would error.
I did find the lack of detail fed back which would give you some confidence that this wasn't just a program that gives random output quite odd.

Redgie

Mar 21, 2013
Are people planning to take cars in to have the software removed? Unless incentivised to do so, I'm not really sure why I would waste time/money taking it in to have something that will never affect me changed?

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
The only things that would convince me would be if a pretext was invented so that your insurance or tax was affected if you didn't have it done or if I was convinced that the changes would dramatically lessen the emissions whilst not affecting the performance.

Oh look ! a flying pig.

Wondering

Jan 1, 2010
Cardiff
Just came back from seat dealers and still no news when the new software will be available.
2010 leon 2.0 tdi cr fr cega engine.

Loftus

Feb 11, 2015
Mine is a 2011 with engine code CFJA and according to the website it is definately the EA189.

If this does involve a flash of the ECU I will lose my remap! Not happy[:@]

auds2

Jul 6, 2015
Mine is a 2011 with engine code CFJA and according to the website it is definately the EA189.

If this does involve a flash of the ECU I will lose my remap! Not happy[:@]

Yes you will lose your map if they reflash the ECU software.

auds2

Jul 6, 2015
Im also under the impression that all 1.6 and 2.0 Common Rail engines from 2009 to 2012 are classified as the EA189 variant by VAG.

Does anyone know if this is the case?

Redgie

Mar 21, 2013
Yup I'm officially affected, no intention of taking it in unless they give me a good reason to though :D

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
I don't really understand what you wrote but just to be clear (again).
All things being equal I would like to drive a less polluting car rather than a more polluting car on the completely selfish reasoning that I have to breathe air to live.
I have a completely mechanically unmodified Diesel FR, what I have every right to be peeved about (should it occur) is an mandatory recall where they change the software and that reduces the power or economy.
It doesn't matter at all that I could buy a 1.0L car that does 60 MPG and I'm not interested in any kind of compensation, I just want my car left alone.

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
CEGA for me too, I wonder whether I read off the VIN correctly, it was dark and raining but I reckoned that if I input an invalid one it would error.
I did find the lack of detail fed back which would give you some confidence that this wasn't just a program that gives random output quite odd.

Do you know the manufacture date of your car?

I have a feeling that cars that were manufactured before Euro 5 came into force are being classed as 'not affected' by VAG even if they do have the dodgy software as they will be exempt from Euro 5 requirements due to being pre-existing stock at the time Euro 5 came into force.

My car was definitely built after Euro 5 came into force which is why I was expecting mine to be affected.

t121anf

May 14, 2004
Can't understand of people been gutted if it's effect, emissions software, especially those who run a remap and especially DPF delete' obviously going to have worse emissions

It's not about emissions for me, no remap here and even if there was I'd still be annoyed.

Unless they can fix this leaving all the statistics as sold, power, mpg, etc I want compensating.

If you bought a bar of Dairy Milk and someone took the last piece due to their incompetance you would expect your money back or it replacing, this is no different.

It needs to be fixed like for like.

(then i'll get a remap lol)

eoink

Jul 8, 2013
Ireland
I don't really understand what you wrote but just to be clear (again).
All things being equal I would like to drive a less polluting car rather than a more polluting car on the completely selfish reasoning that I have to breathe air to live.
I have a completely mechanically unmodified Diesel FR, what I have every right to be peeved about (should it occur) is an mandatory recall where they change the software and that reduces the power or economy.

Exactly.
I bought mine for power matched to economy matched to being good to the environment.
They lied about the last part of that.

Any change to the other two means it even less the car I paid for.
But I will be looking for some reason to allow them near my car.

aaronb84

Feb 25, 2013
Brighton
Exactly.
I bought mine for power matched to economy matched to being good to the environment.
They lied about the last part of that.

Any change to the other two means it even less the car I paid for.
But I will be looking for some reason to allow them near my car.

Can we get one thing straight. Diesels are not good or even better than petrol for the environment. As Boris Johnson :whistle: The amount of NOX they produce is far beyond that of a petrol which is incredibly damaging. So to say better for the environment is plain wrong. Less C02 yes. Less P11D tax yes.

Try cycling behind a diesel and see how environmentally friendly it is.

eoink

Jul 8, 2013
Ireland
Then let me clarify:
being good to the environment based on me currently driving > 100 miles per day, and therefore needing a diesel for economy.

Yes, petrol is overall better for the environment, but extra cost of ~10% per litre of fuel.
Working out at about ~400 more per year.

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
It's not about emissions for me, no remap here and even if there was I'd still be annoyed.

Unless they can fix this leaving all the statistics as sold, power, mpg, etc I want compensating.

If you bought a bar of Dairy Milk and someone took the last piece due to their incompetance you would expect your money back or it replacing, this is no different.

It needs to be fixed like for like.

(then i'll get a remap lol)

There is a way, simply don't take it in for recall. Although then the faux outrage would have to stop, and it is quite entertaining.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...take-part-in-Volkswagen-emissions-recall.html

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.