What???? Car sale

kentbloke

Jan 2, 2015
Greenhithe KENT
So as ive ordered a new car i went back to the dealership i brought my Cupra sc 280 off 10 months ago (WJ KING Sidcup Kent) to see what sort of price they would offer me,,,,,, What a joke, i was told its not the sort of car they have and its to specialized for them,,, they sold it to me FFS!!! Remind me never to buy one again. Pissed off of Greenhithe.

kentbloke

Jan 2, 2015
Greenhithe KENT
Surely you will get a better price privately anyway? Or you can't be bothered?

What car are you moving to?

I was just covering all bases really mate, to see what was best, but never thought id get that answer from a Seat main dealer.

Ive ordered a Focus rs.

Last edited:

hydrostatik

Sep 14, 2015
Hertfordshire
Maybe they heard you were moving to Ford and just **** blocked you.

Seriously tho it's a bit short sighted considering the Cupra is literally top end of the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

noonoo63

Mar 7, 2014
Scotland
So as ive ordered a new car i went back to the dealership i brought my Cupra sc 280 off 10 months ago (WJ KING Sidcup Kent) to see what sort of price they would offer me,,,,,, What a joke, i was told its not the sort of car they have and its to specialized for them,,, they sold it to me FFS!!! Remind me never to buy one again. Pissed off of Greenhithe.

Had the same sort of response when I went to trade in my Golf at a VW dealer when I was trying to get a trade in deal" Oh don't know if your car will sell sir" a four year old mark 6 golf in immaculate condition. Needless to say I took my business elsewhere i.e. a Seat dealer eventually where I got the deal I wanted.
Sometimes wonder if dealers can be ar..d getting and keeping customer loyalty........we will see if and when I come to trade in my Leon.

hydrostatik

Sep 14, 2015
Hertfordshire
More interested in box shifting 1.2 TSI and 1.6 TDI in that case. More than happy for you to order one new from them though!

kentbloke

Jan 2, 2015
Greenhithe KENT
Had the same sort of response when I went to trade in my Golf at a VW dealer when I was trying to get a trade in deal" Oh don't know if your car will sell sir" a four year old mark 6 golf in immaculate condition. Needless to say I took my business elsewhere i.e. a Seat dealer eventually where I got the deal I wanted.
Sometimes wonder if dealers can be ar..d getting and keeping customer loyalty........we will see if and when I come to trade in my Leon.

See what your saying, and its always a pain knowing how best and what way to trade in a car. But 10 months old and they sold it to me!!!!!! Thats shocking.

noonoo63

Mar 7, 2014
Scotland
See what your saying, and its always a pain knowing how best and what way to trade in a car. But 10 months old and they sold it to me!!!!!! Thats shocking.

The annoying thing was that I bought my Golf from the same idiot that didn't want to know 4 years later.

nf2029

Aug 28, 2015
To be fair have you been on Autotrader and seen how many demo Cupras dealers have for sale? I have ordered an ST and because of my impatience always look on Autotrader to see what people have and there are about 40 on with dealers. The thing is none of them have the spec I want so I have stuck with my order, none of them have the plain black leather they all have the black leather with white parts which I personally hate.

I get the impression that people who want these cars (there are a few of us currently waiting according to the forum) all want brand new with our own specs.

On the other note about dealers being useless, yes they are. Don't even get me started on West London Audi!! but in their defence go to the VAG group careers page and see how much they are paid... For £10k a year I would be very uninterested in taking in a car as it would distract me from trying to sell more cars. It is a real shame that there appears to me no margin in cars these days hence why the service we all receive is so sub-standard.

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
I'm not sure I see what the fuss is all about here? The dealer isn't obliged to buy your car from you? They're perfectly entitled to pick and choose what they buy based on what they think they can make a good margin on?

And of course they're only going to be happy to sell you any kind of car, that's their business.

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Loads of ex demo Cupras around and all seem to be in white. I came very close to a SC when I part-ex'd my 150 5dr FR for a 184 ST FR. Offered the dealer £23k for it (IIRC is was up for £26k). He laughed at me and said no chance. 4 months later it was on their website for £22k.

I went in to look at their demo Cupra ST in March. It's still for sale on their website and the price is getting reduced all the time. Considering it's a sought after car, the used market for them seems pretty stagnant.

bleedsoff

Sep 30, 2015
Loads of ex demo Cupras around and all seem to be in white. I came very close to a SC when I part-ex'd my 150 5dr FR for a 184 ST FR. Offered the dealer £23k for it (IIRC is was up for £26k). He laughed at me and said no chance. 4 months later it was on their website for £22k.

I went in to look at their demo Cupra ST in March. It's still for sale on their website and the price is getting reduced all the time. Considering it's a sought after car, the used market for them seems pretty stagnant.

I'm guessing it's because it's the finance deals are better on new cars. Seat Ashford have a nice ST Cupra in grey but to buy that over ordering a new one was so much more expensive. Worked out £100 more a months and finance term lasting a year longer!

hydrostatik

Sep 14, 2015
Hertfordshire
I'm guessing it's because it's the finance deals are better on new cars. Seat Ashford have a nice ST Cupra in grey but to buy that over ordering a new one was so much more expensive. Worked out £100 more a months and finance term lasting a year longer!

This. A nearly new would've cost me nearly £100 more versus a new. Just wasn't worth not doing with 0% finance.

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
This whole dealer trade in and pain trying to sell cars privately that are worth several thousand pushed me into leasing. No hassle at all when you send it back they don't have the option to say no. I guess with so many cars returned via lease and pcp deals that they contractually have to take back they don't want the additional private sales and part exchanges so much now.

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Wow! I just spec'd a brand new 5dr Cupra on SEAT's finance calculator, even with setting the mileage to 25K it's only £50 more a month than my FR :-(

Shame i'd be filling it up every 3-4 days...

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Dealers get a bonus from Seat if they make enough new car sales to qualify in any given period. After all, that's what keeps the factory going. So really dealers are only interested in your 'old' car if it means they'll be shifting a 'new' one as part of the deal. Its the same for the money. If you traded in your Cupra against a new one, finances would be dealt with by either VAG or whomever you chose to finance it. The dealer wouldn't be out of pocket. They buy your car for £20k (say) they are then £20k down until they sell that car.
There is also the profit margin, they would have to give you a price that would be both acceptable to you and enable them to put enough mark up on it to turn in a profit. With the current discounts and finance deals available on new cars ( to keep factory going) they are unlikely to be able to offer you what you want.
The Cupra is 'top of the range' and I'm sure many people want one, but most, for various reasons, have to settle for something a bit more economical or less powerful. Like a 1.6tdi. Then spend ages moaning about emissions......

100andthirty

Mar 19, 2004
Think of a franchised dealer who sells secondhand cars as two different shops - new shop and used shop. The shop selling new cars has decided to be the franchise for that make and, generally, all they sell is ordered in. If the car is available from the manufacturer's stlck then you get the new car pretty quickly, otherwise it takes some weeks. A part exhange is just part of thr payment. If a part exchange is taken in, the dealer then decides whether to resell it from the used car shop, or whether to sell it on to the trade.

However if you approach the used car shop to sell a car, the dealer will think how quickly he can sell the car, if at all. He will know his local market and will try and stock cars that he knows will appeal to the locals. I don't know Sidcup, but perhaps that isn't a place where high powered versions of family cars are popular. If, therefore, he had offered you a price, it would probably be lower than he thought he could get at auction less his costs and a bit for profit. You would have felt as insulted as you felt when he refused to make an offer.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise