Gearbox issue cupra 280 manual

tommy918

Mar 4, 2011
North London
Has anyone with a manual cupra had any gearbox issues.took my car in today to have the headunit replaced and some rattles fixed and i mentioned that i thought the clutch had slipped a couple of times.just had a phone call from the dealer saying they think there is an issue and they will remove and check it over he also said if it is wear and tear i will be liable .the cars only done 15000 miles surely this cant be wear and tear

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
Sadly a clutch would be classed as wear and tear & I agree 15k isn't long for a clutch to last so you may be able to get some goodwill.

However it's not impossible to burn out a clutch in 15k if it is not used with sympathy!

tommy918

Mar 4, 2011
North London
i never had any issues with the clutch on my mk2 lcr which i had for 30000 miles and that was stage 2 from nearly new .i would hope the one on the mk3 would be as good if not better

Richoscos

Richoscos
Apr 7, 2014
Hertfordshire
All depends on what they find, mate. If they find a screw loose for example, then I think they'll safely say it's not your fault. If they say it's wear and tear though you should ask them to explain, in great detail and while looking at the part in question, how exactly they know it's wear and tear.

Due to the nature of the clutch, though, I'm pretty sure that if there's a manufacturing fault with another part, say, the throw out bearing, this would cause wear on the clutch. So, again, ask questions about that maybe.

Just spit balling.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Dalomas

I'm on 7000kms and only yesterday I found myself wondering about the clutch return, it seems slower when the car is hot. And when the oil is cold, the 'box is feeling maybe 1-2% stiffer than when the car was new.

Going to be keeping a beady eye on it...

tommy918

Mar 4, 2011
North London
looks like its going to be a couple of weeks until i find out whats wrong .my local dealer needs to rent a special hoist to remove the gearbox

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.