Replacing Head Unit Advice

mikejd72

Sep 4, 2010
Hi,

Just got myself a Mk5 Ibiza se 1.4 this week, 12 reg, replacing my Mk4 Ibiza Sport 06 reg, which was starting to need too many trips to the garage.

Love the car, but the large head unit can only pick up a couple of stations when I do an FM scan, not ideal. I can find a few more with a manual tune but the signal quality isn't great. Thinking of going to the Seat Dealer to have a look at it (and treat myself to some nice new car matts!). I am also tempted by a Sony DAB radio (product number 2592042), it's the usual size car radio.

Would it be possible to have this fitted? I had a fascia plate put in the last Ibiza so that replacement looked fine, is it possible on this car?

If I was able to put this in would the aux port by the gear stick and the volume/track change stick below the indicators still work with it? If not I might just keep the original head unit and get Seat to see why the FM reception is so poor.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

CraigFrTsi

"Dude I almost had you"
May 23, 2013
Stapleford, Notts
If you got to connects2 website you can buy an installation kit in various colours to match which ever interior you have, the only thing I'm not sure of is the aux connector as I replaced my head unit with a pioneer unit and have removed the usb/aux module to feed the pioneer usb feed to the same location

Last edited:

znww5

Mar 27, 2011
Dunno about head units etc, but the poor FM performance has been discussed on here before. It seems that the stubby aerial has an aerial pre-amplifier and when the latter fails the radio goes 'deaf' - so that problem would have to be fixed regardless of which head unit you install.

Don't know the details, but no doubt somebody will be along shortly to give you chapter and verse :)

nick2bates

Mar 22, 2013
What you will need

Hiya
I have just replaced mine. But you will lose the use of the SPS unit.

These are the parts I used...

Connects2 CT23ST24
Connects2 CTSST001
MES 27AA14/PC5-137

On my 2013 Cupra I also had to move the hazard switches to.

Hope that helps.

mikejd72

Sep 4, 2010
Dunno about head units etc, but the poor FM performance has been discussed on here before. It seems that the stubby aerial has an aerial pre-amplifier and when the latter fails the radio goes 'deaf' - so that problem would have to be fixed regardless of which head unit you install.

Don't know the details, but no doubt somebody will be along shortly to give you chapter and verse :)

Thanks for the replies, I was in the Seat Dealer earlier today to collect some new mats and touch up paint. Mentioned the radio and they said it will probably be the aerial and pre-amplifier. Got a quote of £130ish to get it sorted so will probably do this after next pay day. If that sorts it I might think about a new head unit further down the line.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.