Toledo vs Leon vs Ibiza

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Well, this afternoon (fora variety of reasons) I've pretty much done an impromptu group test starting with about 40 miles in my Toledo, then 50 miles in a brand new Leon, and finishing off with 40 more in SWMBO's Ibiza.

To be more specific that's a Toledo TSi105, a Leon TSi110 and an Ibiza 1.4/85.

So you all already know the Toledo, roomy (for 4), fairly old-tech but good value all the same. I like the looks, the amount of kit and how it drives, so hows the Leon?

At first look, it's roomy (for 5), modern and comes with a different selection of goodies, LED lights, new media system, colour maxidot, but no climate control or parking sensors being the most obvious differences. I was expecting a higher quality interior than the plasticky ones in my cars, but this was disappointing owing to it being inconsistent in quality, the doors are better finished but much of the dash and centre console in particular look as cheap as the other two cars if not worse.. So I was not all that keen on the interior, and this got worse when I found that the centre console digs into my leg all the time; this does not happen in either of the others. Also vision out of the Leon seemed worst of the 3 and the door mirrors were clearly least effective and a bit of a Marmite design. Finally I really dislike the Seat Media Plus. We already have Seat Media 2.2 and Seat Portable System and both have clearer mapping, less cluttered displays and more intuitive controls. nuff said on that I think.

Last edited:

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
How does it drive though?

Ride is better than the Toledo (although the Leon did not have low profiles on) and the handling is better too. That said the 6 speed gearbox did not seem as smooth, 4th being quite difficult to slot in, and the engine does not seem to be an improvement. The new 16v 1.2 drones annoyingly at low revs, when accelerating hard it is maybe slightly noisier than the Toledo (but doesn't feel faster for sure). Only when zapping along A roads at quickish speeds did the car feel more refined overall than the Toledo.

I would say it needs more engine than the 1.2 if I'm honest, so maybe I'll have to try a more powerful model. Having said that I was disappointed by the interior and other aspects of the design so I probably wont bother.

Finally, the Ibiza - its cheap, the inside looks cheap, but it's fun - the old 16v is gutless until you get to 3k but then it makes lots of fun noises and gives a reasonable rate of progress. For me its the best handling of the 3 and it rides better than the Toledo too. But it's too slow.

Which would I buy now then? well the Ibiza cost 9k the Toledo 12.5k, and the Leon would be 15k (all pre-reg).

For me the Leon feels like a better quality built car than my Toledo, but there are enough things about it that I dislike that I wouldn't have one instead.

I'm pleased about that, I'd be annoyed if this experience put me off my own car.

But honestly, given that I don't really need the space in the Toledo, if I was buying now it would be an Ibiza, but a bit quicker than the TOCA. The 1.2 I-techs and FR models are much quicker and wont break the bank at 10.5 or 11k or maybe even a 140ACT at about 13k would be the one.

I think I should try one of those next.

Last edited:

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
A day later, how do I feel about my Toledo?

Well it's the fastest of the 3 which is good, the flat spots in the lower rev range are less annoying than in the other 2, and it has the best gear change.

For me it has the best interior of the 3, even though I dislike the 2 tone Grey / Black scheme and would prefer all black especially with the upgraded I-tech or Style advanced Seats.

It does have the worst ride, and bearing in mind this is a later spec car built in 2014, I'm really pleased I don't have one from the first 12 months production - having test driven a 2013 diesel which was atrocious over any bumps and ridges in the road.

Build isn't perfect, a number of rattles and knocking noises I've learned to ignore - somewhat disappointing given that it's a Skoda in reality and they had achieved (until recently) an excellent reputation for quality. Interesting that both SEAT built cars driven seemed more solid.

Given that I'm not about to rush out and buy something different (for several years really) I'm still well pleased with the Toledo at the price paid (about 4k off list), and I've stopped hankering after a Leon now I've driven It.

Last edited:

irl_techie

Mar 8, 2015
Less of the Diesel bashing :rofl:

I totally agree, I had a drive in a 13 Reg Leon recently expecting it to be streets ahead, was delighted to get back into my Toledo!

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Spent more time in the Ibiza since. Reinforced my thoughts. It handles better than the Toledo , rides way better too, if only it wasn't sooooo slow.

Last edited:

irl_techie

Mar 8, 2015
Just thought of a plus for the Leon over my Toledo, 205/55 16 tyres vs mine 215/45 16, the Leon's size are more widely available and cheaper!

Joe_3490

Sep 20, 2010
Very good write up and reviews, I still need to drive a Leon but I have driven by Toledo and my partners Ibiza ST FR both with same engine and personally I find the Toledo more comfortable to drive, Possibly because of the seat's as the FR has more rigid (apparently Sporty) seats I find them less comfortable to the soft ones in the Toledo, but still a great car t drive, and even classed as an estate the handling is very good but I find I can chuck my Toledo round corners with more confidence, maybe it because I'm used to it more and with the Ibiza belonging to SWMBO I do take it that be easier, as the Ibiza is lighter it does feel nippier but lacking a 6th gear I find myself wanting to change gear all the time on motorways.

The Ibiza also lacks headroom, When I get into the Ibiza and have the seat right down as I do in the Toledo I have very little clearance to the headlining where as in the Toledo there is plenty to play with, and arm rest is a true luxury I miss when not in Toledo

When my car was in at the garage I had a Ibiza SC Toca and OMG how anyone can enjoy that :) (No offence) the ride I found to be hard and bumpy (Worse than FR Suspension) car felt cramped in comparison to ST and Toledo, struggled to join motorway as the slip road was uphill the TSI 105 engines pull up there lovely and can easily overtake others, and TBH the last 1.4 N/A engine I had was in my old Saxo (75 BHP) and that felt like it had better speed and pull but was a lighter car,

we all have different preferences and what one person hates another will not notice or enjoy it.

Joe

I have got more used to the Ibiza ST since we got it as its the Dog car we use it when going to Shows with the dogs and I have to do the driving :), The car did grow and I love to drive it but I always look forward to getting back into the Toledo.

With all the reviews of the Mk 3 Leon seat not being inline with Pedals is really putting me off but I will need to test drive one before I say for certain.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Agree the Ibiza 1.4 is dog slow unless you rev it. However the SE / TOCA ride is really smooth, much better than the Toledo - I think the one you tried had something wrong with it - the transit suspension packers left in? Skoda dealers have been known to miss this on the PDI :0 , or 40+psi in the tyres?

I expected the Leon to be the nuts, but there's too many things I don't like.

Last edited:

steve75

Jun 3, 2015
When I bought my Toledo, I was torn between that and the Leon. I preferred a few things on the Leon (looks - particularly as an FR though I would have been going for an SE, nicer trim in places) but I was buying on finance and even though both had very good deals on, the Leon would have worked out best part of £60/m more.
I'd have also probably needed the estate Leon due to what looked like a particularly high load lip on the hatch - we're lifting fairly heavy bags and equipment in and out on a daily basis.
I never got as far as driving the Leon as once the finance had been worked out, I drove the Toldeo and it seemed pretty good so just went with that.

Never really considered the Ibiza as it had the clip on sat nav rather than built in type. Again, something I use very regularly and couldn't be bothered with the hassle of clipping it on and taking it off every time I wanted to use it. I know the new Ibiza now comes with it built in but for some reason, they don't offer it with rear electric windows (I know - its a small thing but its been a bugbear of mine for a while!).

Other cars I've compared it against since getting mine are

Ford Fiesta 1.0 (100PS) - hired in Jersey - steering and handling are good but otherwise wasn't impressed at all
Ford Focus 1.0 (125PS) - again hired in Jersey - felt much less roomy than the Toledo - even in rear seat width (there were 4 adults and 1 child and they were much quicker getting their seat belts on in the Toledo). Driving wise, handling and steering seemed very good and ride was at least as good as the Toledo (difficult to tell with handling in Jersey with a 40mph limit) but the engine was nowhere near as good as my 1.2TSI! No low down torque and very boomy unless you keep it well above 2000rpm.
VW Polo 1.2 (90PS) - my wife's car - interior generally feels as if its made from more expensive materials, obviously nowhere near as much room in it as the Toledo. Ride and handling I find pretty similar to the Toledo but with added body roll. Engine just the lower powered version of mine in a slightly lighter car but seems to really miss out on low down torque (possibly because it has a 5 speed box instead of my 6 speed).

Still happy I chose the Toledo.

the bert

Nov 28, 2015
When I bought our Toledo we had an Ibiza ST, SE spec 1.2 tsi DSG

Fantastic car and did everything we needed and loved it, just made a schoolboy error and didn’t take into consideration our sons would become giants. Changed it after only 26 months.

Test drove the Leon and Toledo. If the Toledo had the same tech as the Leon it would be absolutely perfect.

We chose the Toledo 1.4 tsi SE spec DSG because of the brilliant rear leg room and quite frankly, the price. The price of the Leon ST is just staggering at £8200 over the on the road price of a new Toledo.

Managed to get a superb price of list for the Toledo and really enjoy driving the car.

Pro’s – engine, dsg, rear leg room, huge boot, all round visibility.

Cons – scratchy plastics, slightly outdated tech for a 2013 car

Still miss the handling of the Ibiza ST, small car superb handing but so pleased we chose the Toledo

Last edited:

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Just been out in the Ibiza again for 40 odd miles. It reinforced the fact that it sure has something the Toledo doesn't - solid build quality.

Over the 18 months I've driven it the Toledo has always had rattles creaks and bangs from suspension, transmission and interior, and I've learned to ignore them.

The 6 month old Ibiza has none :clap:.

Joe_3490

Sep 20, 2010
Just been out in the Ibiza again for 40 odd miles. It reinforced the fact that it sure has something the Toledo doesn't - solid build quality.

Over the 18 months I've driven it the Toledo has always had rattles creaks and bangs from suspension, transmission and interior, and I've learned to ignore them.

The 6 month old Ibiza has none :clap:.

I haven't notices ay of those in my Toledo, and generally find the Ibiza to be a noisier car than the Toledo

irl_techie

Mar 8, 2015
My own Toledo was in yesterday getting a new Steering rack!, while it was there they gave me a 16 Reg Ibiza 1.0 "Sport"

Nice fun car to drive and liked the modern tech in it compared to my Toledo, however there was more noticable noise in the Ibiza, especially from the dash area.

My Toledo is a 1.6 Diesel and it was noticably quieter when I got back in after being in the Ibiza, also much better on fuel too :)

Ibiza would be a cool car with a slightly bigger engine, maybe 1.4 TSI but we wont get that here in Ireland :(

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Seems like build quality is just not consistent at SEAT or Skoda.

My Skoda built car has just enough clonks and rattles to irritate me whereas my SEAT built one is solid, other owners see the opposite.

I think sport suspension and big wheels make things worse - my Ibiza has standard (not FR) struts and 45 profile tyres and it rides beautifully, the Toledo on 40 profiles doesn't come close in ride or handling.

I can say without doubt the new 110PS 1.2 is noisier than the old 105PS - it drones awfully at low revs where the old chain drive motor is smooth and quiet.

Joe_3490

Sep 20, 2010
No having driven the new 110PS engine I cannot comment,

Was out again in the Ibiza last night and one thing I do notice is how much more pull is has off the line over the Toledo, exact same engine, but 5 speed in the Ibiza, even out accelerated and BMW 1 series who was trying as he floored down every road before hand and once I got to 75 in A1M he carried on.

My Toledo is on 45 profile tyres so that will account for the ride and noise in my car aswell.

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
As said before the 40 profile tyres don't lend themselves to a great ride although I recently replaced all my tyres with Avon ZV5's and the handling and ride seem significantly better.

The only real rattles I have are an annoying intermittent one that appears to come from the drivers door somewhere. Haven't noticed it for a while though. The other was a horrible noise coming from the passenger sun visor when it was folded away. It was fine while in use. My 9 year old daughter pulled the sun visor completely off a few weeks back :)censored:) and since I have fixed it back on the noise has not returned.

I drove a petrol Ibiza (Not sure what engine) last year while my Toledo was in for a service and hated it.

Joe_3490

Sep 20, 2010
As said before the 40 profile tyres don't lend themselves to a great ride although I recently replaced all my tyres with Avon ZV5's and the handling and ride seem significantly better.

The only real rattles I have are an annoying intermittent one that appears to come from the drivers door somewhere. Haven't noticed it for a while though. The other was a horrible noise coming from the passenger sun visor when it was folded away. It was fine while in use. My 9 year old daughter pulled the sun visor completely off a few weeks back :)censored:) and since I have fixed it back on the noise has not returned.

I drove a petrol Ibiza (Not sure what engine) last year while my Toledo was in for a service and hated it.

When my Toledo was in for the door seals clogging and retailing water I had a Seat Ibiza 1.4 Toca 85Ps and engine was terrible but the 1.2 TSI is far better.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
When my Toledo was in for the door seals clogging and retailing water I had a Seat Ibiza 1.4 Toca 85Ps and engine was terrible but the 1.2 TSI is far better.

Owning both it's very strange as they are so different, the little turbo has a fair amount of oomph low down but in comparison the 16V cant pull the skin of a rice pudding below 3000. Above that its not that bad, but if you're used to the TSi it is very alien having to drive in a completely different way. It took me more than a one day loan to figure it out - but the Ibiza 1.4 isn't terrible and for us it makes up for most of it with the better chassis and the 2k cheaper price tag.

Last edited:

Joe_3490

Sep 20, 2010
Owning both it's very strange as they are so different, the little turbo has a fair amount of oomph low down but in comparison the 16V cant pull the skin of a rice pudding below 3000. Above that its not that bad, but if you're used to the TSi it is very alien having to drive in a completely different way. It took me more than a one day loan to figure it out - but the Ibiza 1.4 isn't terrible and for us it makes up for most of it with the better chassis and the 2k cheaper price tag.

even in the Higher rev range it struggled, where the 1.2 TSI Toledo and Ibiza ST join the A1 going home from Seat they pull and can get up to 70 no issues, the 1.4 Toca really struggled to get to 70 on the slip road and then above that just didn't feel sturdy.

I had a 1.4 Saxo 75 BHP previously and that had no issues with that slip road or pulling uphill where as the Ibiza does, Yes I understand the Ibiza is a heavier car but should make it feel that much different

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.