DSG SLow off the line

Benjiman

Sep 20, 2014
Bristol
I know that, start by releasing the footbrake , take it to 6,000 in first, second, etc., continue to 140 mph, if legal.
Yes there will be a lag due to DSG and turbo, but the instantaneous gear changes make up for that.

Ah right, I misunderstood. I thought we were talking about getting off the line here, not just foot to floor?

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
Well I never experienced this behaviour of the DSG.
I have even to take back the throttle a bit to let it not to catapult me too much with lots of wheelspin from stand still.

I have an October 2013 FR 1.8TSI DSG, and find just the same - Instant response with no noticeable delay from stationary, even in Normal Mode, and I also have to be careful not to "catapult" forward!

Incidentally, I've been told that there is a flash (firmware?) upgrade due for my DSG gearbox when my car is serviced in a few weeks time, but I can't find any details of why or what effect this will have on operation of what seems to me to be a near perfect gearbox - Even SEAT Customer Service didn't seem to know. Does anyone here have any more detailed information?

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
my best launches come from. Flappy paddle mode. foot on break. launch.

Using launch control it tends to either bog down or spin up.

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
My view on this is do whatever you want to do with your car wither it belongs to you, the bank, or your company, but be aware of the consequences of ignoring the manual.
This is why I never buy a second hand car.
Have fun.
Tony

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
So now Ive got a few miles on the clock I think I'm getting to know the dsg. What I find is if you press far enough on the brake pedal the box appears to go into neural which I'm guessing would also kick in start-stop if I had it enabled. With a light press of the brake the dsg seems to keep a gear selected saving presious time if a quick getaway is needed.

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
So now Ive got a few miles on the clock I think I'm getting to know the dsg. What I find is if you press far enough on the brake pedal the box appears to go into neural which I'm guessing would also kick in start-stop if I had it enabled. With a light press of the brake the dsg seems to keep a gear selected saving presious time if a quick getaway is needed.

Yes, that's exactly what it does. A light touch on the brake pedal will make it hold the bite point, ready to go as soon as you release it. A harder touch makes the DSG dip the clutch so that when you release the brake pedal it has to start from scratch so to speak. I've never found it slow off the line unless I've cocked it up myself. Mine has occasionally fudged a downshift from time to time but it's never felt reluctant at the lights.

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
As above all about timing. Release the brake so the box has a chance to engage 1st gear before acceleration

Not correct.
The DSG box is in D or S always in 1st gear already.
Depending how hard you press the brake pedal it will even start to increase the rpm and start to move the car forward (or backwards when in reverse) because the clutch gets activated when you slowly decrease the pressure you put on the brake pedal.
From standstill accelerating there is no difference between D or S mode at full throttle, just on limited throttle in S it will hold the gears much longer, sometimes till nearly red line.
It will accelerate immediately after you take your foot off the brake pedal and press the accelerator.
When there is a delay something is wrong.
But when you are in neutral and change the lever to D or S then it will take a part of a second before it selected the first gear, maybe that is the delay what is discussed here.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Not correct.
The DSG box is in D or S always in 1st gear already.
Depending how hard you press the brake pedal it will even start to increase the rpm and start to move the car forward (or backwards when in reverse) because the clutch gets activated when you slowly decrease the pressure you put on the brake pedal.

I wasn't aware there was a sensor on the brake pedal pressure and can't say I've even noticed an increase in engine speed, even the latest Audi boxes on the RS's don't do this.

Could I have the link please to this info you've provided..

ma9mwah

Aug 13, 2009
hard pressing the brake pedal (with SS off) the engine idles at 800rpm, with light pressure it idles at 1000rpm.

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
hard pressing the brake pedal (with SS off) the engine idles at 800rpm, with light pressure it idles at 1000rpm.

This is exactly what mine does too. There's a very noticeable difference in the two 'modes'. With stop start engaged it'll just switch off with a hard press, but with SS off it will dip the clutch, drop the revs and wait until I release some pressure on the pedal.

Last edited:

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
Mine doesn't; June 15 plate.
Tony
Woops, I have just tested this more carefully and sure enough, 750 rises to 1000 rpm on very light touch on the brake pedal.
You can feel the car wanting to move so I suspect prolonged use of this may be inadvisable, due to clutch wear.
Tony

Last edited:

TonyFSC

Jun 20, 2015
Does it? Oh well! We all bought a CUPRA to do exactly what JACUPRA280 and others describe, so what if it "wears" out the DSG box, if your having fun at the time (and keeping it legal) why not ?

I'm ashamed to say that in my late sixties I still care about the next owner; stupid in this selfish age, but I'm not going to change now.
Tony

altea-ego

Dec 7, 2004
I have an October 2013 FR 1.8TSI DSG, and find just the same - Instant response with no noticeable delay from stationary, even in Normal Mode, and I also have to be careful not to "catapult" forward!

Incidentally, I've been told that there is a flash (firmware?) upgrade due for my DSG gearbox when my car is serviced in a few weeks time, but I can't find any details of why or what effect this will have on operation of what seems to me to be a near perfect gearbox - Even SEAT Customer Service didn't seem to know. Does anyone here have any more detailed information?

I've just had mine serviced and they updated the DSG firmware as part of the warranty no mention of issue though. I asked them to check in the hope there might be a fix for the terrible sport mode down shifts in 1/2 gear when stopping.

Invoices says Warranty campaign 37J7 - flashing of gearbox control unit.

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
I had this update of the DSG firmware already last year September.
Lot of Cupra's with DSG displayed a "gearbox problem" after starting the engine, this update corrected this behaviour. Before that they would have replaced the microswitches inside the gearlever but after done that the error message returned so they solved it by adapting the software.
And decreasing the pressure on the brake pedal increasing the rpm is for smoothly drive off or even without using the throttle for crawling the car forward in traffic jams.
It is the same as you would do in a car with a manual box, increase the rpm with the throttle and slowly disengage the clutch pedal.
For the DSG it ensures a smoothly quick drive off from standstill.

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
I've just had mine serviced and they updated the DSG firmware as part of the warranty no mention of issue though. I asked them to check in the hope there might be a fix for the terrible sport mode down shifts in 1/2 gear when stopping.

Invoices says Warranty campaign 37J7 - flashing of gearbox control unit.

I would guess this is the same update I am due to get on my 1.8TSi DSG FR when it is serviced in a week or so - "The terrible sport mode down shifts in 1/2 gear when stopping" is what put me off leaving the car in Sport Mode when driving in start/stop and slower-moving traffic! At least it is reassuring to know I'm not the only one with this issue!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.