flywheel and clutch advice needed leon fr mk1

martin99uks

Oct 10, 2015
lochwinnoch, scotland
The dual mass flywheel is gone in my leon fr mk1 and i need advice on what to buy thats most suited to car. basically whether or not i should be buying a single mass conv kit or a oem dual mass set. It has the engine code ARL and has the blacksmoke remap which i believe to be 182 bhp and 312 ft/lb and it also has a decat ( dont know if this will affect the torque figure enough to change anything).

Klaus71

Sep 22, 2015
Minehead
As you probably know, the DMF provides damping for irregular power delivery from the engine. Your car has had a remap which in most cases results in a smoother power delivery (but not always). OE manufacturers use them to compensate for fuel efficiency and comfort on a standard map.

It's a tough call but I've changed a lot of DMF's for solid conversions (Renaults mainly) with no negative feedback. As long as you don't go solid friction plate I'd say you'd get away with it with negligible excess vibration between gear changes or when slowing for junctions.

martin99uks

Oct 10, 2015
lochwinnoch, scotland
thanks for the reply. i was leaning towards the single mass anyway but the kits ive seen are for a car thats not been remapped which gives me concerns about whether the clutch they supply can handle the torque in this application. if anyone can shed some light on this it would be much appreciated.

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
At that kind of torque youll get dmf shudder on a brand new unit!
Mine was mapped to 420lbft (ARL) and on a dmf only 10k old it shuddered quite badly in 3rd or 4th when peak torque came in...

martin99uks

Oct 10, 2015
lochwinnoch, scotland
Bought a kit today titled "vw golf iv dual mass replacement flywheel clutch kit" on ebay from dmrclutch .My thinking is that even if the clutch does'nt handle the torque i can get a uprated replacement that would cheaper than a dmf anyway.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise