Which Diesel Leon to go for? (Mk1 Cupra/FR vs Mk2 Sport)

HayleyS

Nov 26, 2007
South Wales
Hey all. Not been here in a long while - years ago I owned a Mk1 petrol Cupra and loved it.

Now looking to change my car again and thinking about going back to a Leon.
Trouble is, I don't know what to go for :rolleyes:
Defo want a diesel this time round and probably looking from around 2004-2006 models.
If i'm honest I want to spend as little as possible, while getting something in good condition with low(ish) mileage etc. as I would plan on keeping it for a long while to come.

So i'm thinking you are the best guys to ask for opinions. I'm looking at the Mk1 facelift diesel Cupra or FR OR Mk2 Sport - the funds aren't going to stretch beyond that.
I can see there isn't generally a huge amount in price between them, of course depending on the usual factors. Anyone got any comments on either/both to help me out?
I really love the styling of the Mk2 however if it saves on the old bank funds and makes sense in general i'm happy to go Mk1 as they are still a lovely looking car.
Not having any experience with the Mk2 we don't know the common issues/faults - we've previously owned an 05 Mk1 Toledo diesel SE which was fantastic.

Basically, anything you guys can tell me would be a big help in making my decision before I go out and start seriously looking. Cheers :D

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
My opinion Mk1 Cupra - ARL engine.
Just try as best you can to satisfy yourself that its been serviced correctly, with the correct spec oil. This isn't easy short of taking off the rocker cover - which is very simple - and having a look!
I wish I had never let mine go, at 160k it was just getting better and better, even running hybrid, Jabba map with 410lbft and 227hp.

pjpenfold

Nov 28, 2008
crewe
I was facing the same problems over choice a few weeks ago. After looking into the choice of engines i spotted all the reports of ABS pump problems ( expensive fix) and also the potential for cracked or porous cylinder heads on the mark 2 2.0 Tdi. I realise that the mark 1 does have its potential problems as well ( camshaft) but i went for a nice mark 1 FR Tdi+ with the ARL engine and i love it.
Best of luck on your search.

HayleyS

Nov 26, 2007
South Wales
:thumbup: Thanks

Hmm I was swaying a little toward the Altea - good family car and tend to be a little cheaper, but this issue with the 2.0 diesel doesn't sound good. Is there any way to spot if the issue exists? And if there's receipts showing the work has already been done is it likely to last?

pjpenfold

Nov 28, 2008
crewe
Hi, a quick search on these forums should give you most of the info you need. I recall that the cylinder head issue was much improved later on but you will need to check a code on it to see which one is fitted. The ABS pump issue is apparently a manufacturing defect that VAG is well aware of but offers little help to resolve. please dont just take my word for it but have a search on here and other forums etc to help you make an informed choice. ( the honest john website gives a honest appraisal as well)
Other posters may come on now and say i am spouting rubbish but hopefully others will confirm what i am saying.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.